Putting in the order asap.

Thanks!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Pickup For AMY'S Guitar

Howdy Bill !!  Personally I have not had one of these, but there are good reviews out there.  If I owned an Acoustic with a regular round sound hole I might consider trying one, but the only one it would fit is my Classical (nylon) and although I have read that it will work with non-magnetic strings I find a close microphone good enuff.

Anybody out there in the Community with experience with DM pickups want to chime in??  Input appreciated.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Have had one for years.  Works great and sounds better than you'd expect. There are two disadvantages:
1- no on board eq. However I find it sounds fine as is and can be dialed in on board or with a pedal
2 - if you pinkie anchor you might hit it so a hand position adjustment might be necessary

Does it need to have a hole drilled to let the chord through the bottom of the guitar, guys?

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

No holes to drill.  They intend the cord to just exit the sound hole, and then you can route it over the strap button and under the strap to act as a strain relief...... what you do with it when not plugged in (?) I have no idea.  It's not like you'd just stuff it into the guitar, and a 15 foot coil of wire hanging around (to trip over) would be trying to my patience (I think).  Thankfully it does seem easy to remove when not in use, so maybe that's the trick.

Nope!

Doug_Smith wrote:

... it does seem easy to remove when not in use, so maybe that's the trick.

Yep.

I have a much, much older soundhole P-U. I just pop it in when I need it and take it out when I'm finished. Simple

unclejoesband wrote:
Doug_Smith wrote:

... it does seem easy to remove when not in use, so maybe that's the trick.

Yep.

I have a much, much older soundhole P-U. I just pop it in when I need it and take it out when I'm finished. Simple

Same here.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I have a Belcat SH-85 sound hole pickup, works great. The cord runs out of the sound hole and mounts on the bottom strap button,  just plug a regular cord into it and run it to your amp, easy-peasy, no holes to drill. I leave it in all the time, it does'nt get in the way when I'm fingerpickin or strumming with a pick. I don't remember the price but I know it was'nt much, I don't use an amp often and did'nt want to drop a lot of money on it. I use it more than I thought I would, the sound is nice and warm or it can rock, with the distortion turned on I can get some nice sounds adjusting the gain control. The only downside is now I want to buy a better amp with a lot of effects.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Thanks, guys. I wondered about a pick guard, but it would sure interrupt that pretty round design around the sound hole and also, I don't believe there'd be enough room even if I by-passed the design.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

You can find clear static-cling pick guards sometimes.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Howdy Bill !  I used something called Frisket Film on my Ovation and it is holding up nicely as a scratch guard.  It is clear (gloss or matte) .002 thick poly, with a low tack adhesive which allows it to be removed without residue, and won't harm finishes it is put on.  I found mine in a local Craft store and it's most common use is as a mask that can be cut into a stencil or to cover areas when adding detail to graphics ie: airbrushing.  Standard sheet is something like 9X12 inches and may be available as single sheets (as mine was) or in low count packaging.  I seem to remember spending something around a buck/sheet, but caught a 50% off sale so thought it was worth trying..... that was like five years ago and it is not worn through nor peeled around the edges yet !!  smile

Thank you, Doug!!! smile My friend comes through for me again! I believe I know what you mean and I described it to Dondra and we have a Michael's close by where we can get some.

Thanks again, my friend.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

we have a Michael's close by where we can get some.

Thanks again, my friend.

Bill

Now you mention it, I think it might have been Michael's or Craft World !! wink

If the Markely is good enough for John Prine its good enough for me. He used it for fingerpicking on his Martin though he seemed to use a Gibson with undersaddle pickup when strumming when I saw him play.

Thanks, flester, that's the one I chose and when this rotator cuff injury heals and I can strum again, that's the one I'll get. I'm told that those kinds of injuries take a long time to heal, but I'm working on it!

Bill

PS: John Prine is also a personal favorite

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Hi Bill
I got both shoulders Rotor Cuffs  giving me grief the medical people think it will take me about 6 months to get back to playing guitar and piano again. Wishing you a quick recovery.
Wishing  you and Dondra all the best.
Peatle