Topic: Trying to play.

After recent "incidents", I can`t play or do much of anything for more than a short time. A short drive takes a lot out of me. Haven`t even attempted a long drive yet.  Any ideas on what to do. Note-- Also had to go from chain smoking, hard drinking to doing nothing in one step. It does get frustrating knowing that I can`t do anything like I used to anymore.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Re: Trying to play.

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

After recent "incidents",. Note-- Also had to go from chain smoking, hard drinking to doing nothing in one step. It does get frustrating knowing that I can`t do anything like I used to anymore.

Sounds like your recent incidents have done you small favour?

About 20 years ago I had similar symptoms. After lengthy tests they discovered I had something called sarcoidosis. It's not very nice, I had to give up gigging for about a year and a lot of other things I enjoy doing.
I doubt that is what you're suffering, but it would be worth checking it out?

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Phill Williams wrote:
joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

After recent "incidents",. Note-- Also had to go from chain smoking, hard drinking to doing nothing in one step. It does get frustrating knowing that I can`t do anything like I used to anymore.

Sounds like your recent incidents have done you small favour?

About 20 years ago I had similar symptoms. After lengthy tests they discovered I had something called sarcoidosis. It's not very nice, I had to give up gigging for about a year and a lot of other things I enjoy doing.
I doubt that is what you're suffering, but it would be worth checking it out?

When I say I can`t do anything like I used to, I am talking about physical activity. I could actually care less if I can`t drink or smoke anymore. It was nice but it wasn`t important.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Honestly that's what I meant. No breath, just lethargy. It was 6 months of pain and discomfort. I love cycling, playing badminton, swimming etc. No energy for any of it. Then it gradually went away. Light at the end of the tunnel

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Giving things up is a hard adjustment to make, seems like there is no end to it.  I ain't ready to check-out just yet so the list of things I can't do anymore just keeps getting longer. I played hard and worked hard and life's taken a toll on me, wore me down and beat me up. Every once in a while I will see someone I knew a long time ago and think holy crap, I ain't doing to bad, at least I'm not like that guy who can't even chew his own food or zip up his pants. My brother and I are the only two left of our family, we get together a couple of times a year and laugh about it all, we give thanks that we are still having a good run of it all,  we check each other to make sure we're all zipped up and walk on down the road laughing at the great life we're still living, even if we have to give up a few things

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

6 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-06-08 01:26:33)

Hi Joeyjoeyjoey
I am in a tempory situation where I have needed to rely on other people because I am recuperating and cant do a lot of things. Apart from obvious factors  like my faith that gets me through, I found the hard part is having to rely on others. My biggest obstacle was taking the resentment out of my life. Example resenting the fact I had to get my wife to help me get dressed among other things,
Since this is chordie  I will mention not being able to play guitar or piano frustrated me. What has helped me was when I started to enjoy what I could do and forget about the could not part. Apart from the pain I can't drive due to medication I am on. When I saw what happened  to Tiger Woods it made me glad I have other people to transport me. My friends and fami;ly all offered valuable suport and made me feel their love in a way I havent experienced before. Having musician friends saying Peatle tell us what you want to be played on guitar,  piano or any other instrument has humbled me. So my life changing expirience for me has been accepting things don't always stay the same but we can learn to enjoy our day in other ways. I hope that makes sense,
Bluejeep I like what you said keep  laughing and the  fact there are people worse off than us. Aside from that I am an 18 year old inside an old man's body.
https://soundcloud.com/eatleville/free-lunch

This is a common conversation for those of us who are "north of 50". I'll be 60 later this year, and have had to pack in soccer, hockey, weight-lifting, hiking, etc. over the last 10 years or more. BUT ... that's when the guitars came back out, the kayaking and fishing increased, the woodworking increased, the reading increased, etc. Nature doesn't like a vacuum, so it just takes an attitude adjustment to replace things we can't do with new interests that an older body can do.

Over-eating is a fun hobby, too! lol

TIME.  I have a feeling that a lot of that will heal itself in time.  It's good that you're able to stop chain smoking and drinking so much though, you already know that.  Take it easy, short walks, read a book, let your body relax a little.  You've been going 100 mph with life for a while now.  I know the difficulty of slowing down though, when you're used to being on the go all the time.  Reading is one of the things that helps me relax and slow down.  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.