Topic: My Repertoire

These songs I have (and will) practice over and over. There are only 4, but they are easily played and sung:

(Get Along Home) "Cindy"

"Worried Man Blues"

"Tom Dooley"

And "Good News Week"

Numbers 2 & 3 will stand you in good stead if you're ever asked to "perform" at a party and you can have some fun with the lyrics.

NOTE TO ROGER & DOUG: We got your calls/messages on Saturday, but Dondra can't make it through phone calls yet, and I really don't know what to say at this point. We are sorry, but will work our way out of this. Besides, we've noticed our "real life" friends beginning to keep their distance and that's just fine with us.. Thank you for understanding.

Bill & Dondra

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: My Repertoire

THis is a great idea for a thread.  My standards are Rooster and Ripple.

Best to you and yours, Bill.  Hang in there.

Country Road (JT)
Tin Cup Chalice (Jimmy Buffett)
Trouble (Cat Stevens)
Age (Jim Croce)
Live Forever (Billy Joe Shaver)
Southern Cross (Stephen Stills)

I forget the lyrics to all of them, but I can pretty much rip into any of these whenever someone says, "Say Zurf, why don't you play a song?"

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

4 (edited by TIGLJK 2017-06-11 22:09:20)

My go to songs......

Glendale train (New Riders. Of the Purple Sage)
Come on up to the house ( Sarah Jarosz / Tom Waits)
Heard it in a love song. ((Marshall Tucker)
I shall be released (Dylan)
Galway Girl (Steve Earle)
Follow me(Uncle Kracker)
I walk the line - revisited.  (Rodney Crowell)

I'm like he cowardly lion from Oz- if I only had a voice

wink

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Boy, this is a tough one. There are so many and it changes from week to week.

City of New Orleans- Steve Goodman
Down on the Corner- CCR
Bright Side of the Road- Van Morrison
El Paso- Marty Robbins
Mama Tried- Merle Haggard
Me and My Uncle- John Phillips( Mama's and the Papa's)
The Harder They Come- Jimmy Cliff
Jack-a-Roe- Traditional
Jack Straw- Weir/Barlow
Big River- Johnny Cash
Ripple- Garcia/Hunter
Eyes of the World- Garcia/Hunter
Friend of the Devil- Garcia/Hunter

I think I have 30-35 songs I know now. A huge leap from my first trip to Amy's in 2015.

6 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-06-12 00:14:46)

UJB's comment fits, as it changes often with new "conquests" and changing moods. A few that immediately come to mind are:

1) Electric
Jacob's Ladder (Rush)
The Ocean (Led Zeppelin)
Radioactive Toy (Porcupine Tree)
Comfortably Numb (Pink Floyd)
Rocky Mountain Way (Joe Walsh)

2) Acoustic
Life's a Long Song (Jethro Tull)
Calliandra Shade (Ian Anderson)
Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd)
Over the Hills and Far Away (Led Zeppelin)
The Trees (Rush)

If I were to assemble this list in a week's time, it could be quite different. smile

My opening song is very often 'Can't Help Falling In Love'. A couple of years ago when in the UK I visited a girl I have known for over 50 years and met her husband, Clive, for the first time. During the conversation I mentioned that I had bought a 12 string and Clive, having never seen one, wished to look at it so I fetched it from my car and, after looking at it, he asked me to play something. So I broke into 'Can't Help Falling In Love'. Half way through I glanced at Clive and he was sobbing his socks off, I did not realise that my playing and singing was that bad.... lol

It turned out that this song had a very special significance for him and I caught him unawares. I quickly broke into another favourite of mine (that very few people have heard of) the Silkie's 'Blood Red River'.

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Tenement Funster wrote:

If I were to assemble this list in a week's time, it could be quite different. smile

Scott and I started to video record everything we do about 1.5 years ago. After posting in this thread I decided to go back and look at some of the older stuff. There are some that we've only done once or twice, some that pop up periodically and others that are part of our standard rotation. The ones I listed above are pretty much regulars.

Roger Guppy wrote:

My opening song is very often 'Can't Help Falling In Love'.

And you do it beautifully. I heard it in NY a couple years ago. smile

I had to think about this for a minute, I guess my top four if I had to play off the cuff in hurry would be copper head road, wish you were here, pirate looks at forty and oil field trash. I can play those even when I am hammered

out of tune out of key and out of touch

mojo01 wrote:

I had to think about this for a minute, I guess my top four if I had to play off the cuff in hurry would be copper head road, wish you were here, pirate looks at forty and oil field trash. I can play those even when I am hammered

I almost have Pirate Looks at 40 memorized!

11 (edited by TIGLJK 2017-06-13 21:30:56)

My daughter's boyfriend plays in a duo - it's called Ridgeline.   They play pretty much every weekend.
I have no idea how they remember all the words and all the chords - no lyric sheets or electronic screens - just good ol' memory. I am always amazed each time I hear them
(they have a few  songs on you tube.)

I know many of you Chordians gig a lot..... you have my total admiration -    I am amazed at real musicians like yourselves.
Hopefully one day I will make a Chordie get together and get to play with some of you.( certainly not the vocals  smile  )

anyway - Kudos to all of you performers out there
it is something special to be able to do so !

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

12 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2017-06-13 22:11:41)

Somebody make him stop grovelling. smile

Jim, what you think you lack in voice you more than make up for with your writing, buddy. Also, since you're so critical of your singing, I have to say you have me beat all over the place, my friend. I have NEVER been able to figure out how I want a song/poem I have written - to go - so at least you make "sketches".

Your Friend

"Opie"

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com