1 (edited by Classical Guitar 2017-06-17 10:09:11)

Topic: Making First Classical Guitar

After 14 months I just finished my first hand made classical guitar. The ones I normally play I bought, making one has always been something I wanted to do. The long time period was to set up a proper area to work and an area for sticks made the right way to put pressure on for drying time. I used a maple neck, ebony fret board and bridged,  red cedar top and back, and rosewood sides. The top, back, and sides are all solid wood. I bought a rosette already made. That is one part I would not attempt.

I did not work every day but when I did I enjoyed making this one.  After playing for so many years  I wanted to try it. In reality it make much more sense to buy the guitars you you want.  The sound and how it plays is not as good as I had hoped and does not equal the 6 Yamaha guitars I now have. But at least I made one not knowing how it would sound in the end.

Have any of you made any type of guitar?  How did it turn out?

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

Re: Making First Classical Guitar

Congrats man,

That's one heckuva project to take on and complete! 
I've never come close to attempting such a thing, my hat's off to you.
I do jam with a chap that worked with Larrivee back in their Vancouver, BC days and went on to build and sell his own - mostly classicals.  I do have one of his early dreadnoughts and it is a great guitar.   I sold my Martin - it was just sitting on the rack.
With any luck, and a bit of time, your woods will season some and improve the sound.

Nice going!!
Jim

3 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-06-18 09:38:55)

Congratulations, CG ... that's an amazing project to undertake!

Even though it may not have sounded as you expected, it's your very own ... and no one can take that away from you. The combo of Cedar and Rosewood would be interesting. Cedar's normally quite warm, while Rosewood is bright with lots of over-tones. If you get a chance, I know we would love to see a photo or two of it.

Nicely done!

Building an Acoustic is on my "Bucket List"...... but to date I only have built electric guitars in both solid and chambered body types.  Frankly there is a lot of wiggle room in electrics in so far as what you can kind of get away with and still have a good sounding end product.  Acoustic is a horse of another color, where small variables can and do effect how the instrument will sound. 

Kudos for doing one, and I would expect you learned much in the process, refined some woodworking skills, and had fun doing so.
Still on my "List"......    smile

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

An update . When I finished the guitar and played I made one mistake that has been corrected. I used Scheller turners which are some of best, and bone for the nut and saddle.  The strings I used are D'Addario EJ45 Pro-Arte the same string I have used on every classical guitar I have ever used. Last night a luthier  friend and one I bought some guitars from, and sold my collection when I moved to Yamaha classical  guitars when I realized others could not hear the difference in a concert, talked with me for a long time on the phone. I went through all that I had done and where I found the sounds off. Even the finish was what he said was right and the same as his are unless a customer ask for something else. Long story short he is going to visit me next week. The frets, string height, etc. are all what they are suppose to be. The bracing is a traditional fan type. So he said he was passing though close enough he is going to bring a fiber optical scope to check the inside and will check the outside and let me know what I can do to improve the end sound. He has built and sold over 1,500 classical guitars so I am still hopeful he can find what I did wrong or what  would improve the sound.

That should be a great experience, CG.

A local luthier here (builds amazing steel string acoustics with exotic tonewoods) took me through his process one Saturday morning at his shop, and it was extremely informative and enjoyable.

Great job!
Some time ago I considered buying a kit and building one. It never happened and I don't see it ever happening.

Any chance you could post a few pics so we can all see it?

Here is an update. My friend who has made many guitars, and has the setup to made 4 guitars at the same time. During his visit  hr first used a Fiber Optic Scope to check construction and bracing and then measured the thickness of the top. What he finally said was the guitar was built correctly and since I used bone he suggested using either plastic or  tusk. He still  uses bone or ivory but he said he has to buy 10 to get one that is acceptable and he uses a high power microscope to check each piece. He said what is buys now is not the same quality as he bought five years ago. Some bone is actually walrus tusk being sold as something else. If that does not work to correct the sound than he does not know what else would work. Once I make these changes and if it corrects the sound, than I will email each that asked about pictures to them. It will take 2 to 3 days and I will buy both tusk and plastic and see which corrects the sound. He used the same strings I use so it should not help the try others strings.

Well done!!

For my CGE 'O' level woodwork project in 1966 I designed and made an acoustic guitar. I bought the tuning heads, a tailstock and the fretwire then spent hours in the library trying to find out how to calculate the fret spacing (there was no Google to consult back then lol). Unfortunately I could not get a thin enough timber for the body and had to use a veneered plywood. The result was that the sound was a little dead but I then fitted a pick up and it sounded fine. I was particularly pleased that the intonation was spot on and I gigged with it in my band several times. I eventually gave it to my brother - wish I had kept it. sad

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

CG ... sounds like you had an interesting visit.

Interesting that you mention the bone nut / bridge. I had a Larrivee steel string, which came with Tusq components. The luthier I know (Matthew Lunn @ Lunn Guitars) suggested replacing them with bone, to increase the brightness a bit, as well as increasing the sustain. He has an ethical source for camel bone, which apparently is more consistent than most, so that's what he used. It's very hard, and when he dropped a piece on his countertop it made a tinkling sound like porcelain or glass. It did exactly as he described.

Funny how a couple of little parts can make such a big difference.

Yes I agree. I used bone because I thought the same. After he came I tied tusk first and the sound was different but not better.  then I tried plastic with a special raised area for the B string. It completely changed the sound and corrected what I was hearing. Now it sounds like it should have from the start. I was amazed that plastic and not the bone I used would make such a change for the best. I guess what he said about bone today was more true than I thought. I will buy a camera later today and email some photos to those who asked. I had to change strings again and still the same string.

lol  lol  lol

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4208/35093524290_10a830944b.jpg

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Roger Guppy wrote:

lol  lol  lol

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4208/35093524290_10a830944b.jpg

Roger

I wish it was that easy. Loved the image

Heck of a project.  As much as I enjoy wood working, that's a project I've never been tempted to undertake.  I was surprised about the plastic too.  I wonder if it's the compensating B that makes it so much better.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I have seen many videos on youtube, i really loved them smile and i am a little bit older begginer. bought classical guitar

Link removed by Moderator.  Unsolicited Advertising on Chordie is Forbidden !!  DS

One final update. After changing back to bone the one I built was built right. The real problem is the knowing what blank wood has the right tonal quality to start with from the beginning. The same would be true for any classical or acoustic guitar. So I wasted a lot of time except I have a good setup and if I try it again I will buy my blanks from someone who knows what good wood should sound like.

Any pictures for us yet? smile

I assume the great way to understand the difference between the 2 kinds of guitars is to pick up and play them each, if no longer finished so already. There isn't any manner every person can accurately and comprehensively describe the variations in words.

19 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-11-16 09:34:59)

Sacanaday I am trying to get what your comment is about.?
"I love to sing, and I love to drink scotch. Most people would rather hear me drink scotch."
— George Burns

Oke nice, never made one.