Topic: Is there another website that does everything chordie does?

I haven't been able to find another website that provides a service like chord pro, but I am definitely looking. When chord pro was working it was the best part of chordie.com. To have some place handy to keep one's chords and lyrics is pretty mandatory for a songwriter. If there is another website that can do that, and even better if the other website enables one to make songbooks of original songs, which chordie never developed, that would be most supreme. I have tried songsterr, but that doesn't provide on website storage of songs like chordie. Besides their version of chord pro is not as people friendly as the old chord pro used to be. Any help, appreciated.

2 (edited by Doug_Smith 2017-06-24 05:54:53)

Re: Is there another website that does everything chordie does?

Wow that is a good question.... I honestly don't know but will look around a bit in my spare time and see what's out there.  Frankly I don't miss ChoPro, but am aware that it seems important to you.  Our search engine prefers the old version for ease of formatting, but as it was a derivative of an outdated "Chord" software set when things got updated it got lost in the shuffle.  I don't have the details, but suspect it might have had conflicts with more current stuff. Kind of like running an old Windows 3.11 application in Windows 10, can be done but too much trouble and time to bother. More on the subject here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chord_(software)

I don't keep a songbook here or anywhere out in "cloudland" but like to keep my music on a local drive.  Where I can edit it, shuffle setlists, and generally keep an "eye" on it without the concern that someone might decide to issue a take down order and have it lost (or particularly for original material, stolen).  I would expect that most sites that offer server storage space will want some fee for "renting" the space, and providing security against loss if a drive "explodes", so a free "something like Chordie" might be darn hard to find.  I used to use a site called OLGA, that got slapped by a bunch of "legal Suits" which resulted in their folding up their tents and vaporizing. For whatever that's worth.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Excellent! Great question, and great answer.

I'd never thought to store favs on my own PC, but certainly can see the practical sense to do so. I know we sometimes tend to gripe about legalities, but they are in place to protect musicians and their livelihood ... and that's important.

Terrific info, Doug (as always).

great answer Doug.
mine would have been "i hope you find one soon and leave us in peace....bye"

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Tenement Funster wrote:

Excellent! Great question, and great answer.

I'd never thought to store favs on my own PC, but certainly can see the practical sense to do so. I know we sometimes tend to gripe about legalities, but they are in place to protect musicians and their livelihood ... and that's important.

Terrific info, Doug (as always).

Just before OLGA shut down (and it was in the wind that's what would happen), I bought a case of paper, ink, and made "hard copies" of everything they had that I wanted. Resulting in a backpack full of music in binders that weighs about 40 Pounds!  Enough of that!.... I own a scanner and putting it on a drive just made more sense than lugging all that around.  Especially through airport terminals. You can really get in shape hauling your musical gear through places like Denver and Phoenix where gates can be up to Two miles apart (usually with 15 minutes to "sprint" it or miss a connection). big_smile

The Laptop bag doubles as an overnighter (with a couple of useful things tucked away), the case and Guitar fit in an overhead (although some fellow passengers grumble about "that darn Hippie" using up over half). "Sorry, the cabin attendant told me to put it there because the closet was filled up with baby strollers, walkers, and crutches..... and in case of a water landing it can be used as a floatation device.". wink  Then there's the guy across the aisle who was about half lit when he boarded, and the drinks cart passed by 20 minutes ago, who leans across and asks "you look like somebody famous..... ?.... Got it!  Willie Nelson without the braids!".  [sigh].... to think I used to LOVE to fly !!!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

6 (edited by beamer 2017-06-25 16:40:43)

Well Phill, as your post has no quote button,  Now you sound like a FB forum.  this person evidently has used chordie, as a tool not a social media.  I was on here 3 yrs b4 I even tried the forum. I'll be honest, I liked the CP feature my self and dont like current things either, however I have accepted them  and use songster, and Amy's work-around, not gonna "take my toys and go home" but I think the guy has a valid question.

As we know from dealing with MS.  Not all changes are good.an not all upgrades are good as some money hound finds a way to remove what may be considered a minor item that actually lost of ppl use/used and then charge you for it, and then makes it so the best features you now have to annually rent instead of own.  Sorry that's a Tangent, but one I'm pretty sore about.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Chordie is free, doesn't cost anything but time. Complaints and whining are not necessary and make everyone uneasy. If what one looks for is not here, look elsewhere on this thing called the internet.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Per, the owner of Chordie, does have more important things to do. Like feeding and keeping a roof over the heads of his wife and teenage children, so he has a full time job to maintain. The ability to use ChordPro in the forum is on his list of things to do, but it not just the case of flipping a switch and the job is done. He has to write the software, test and debug it before it can happen. However there are more important issues that need sorting first. Chordie is primarily a search engine for lyrics and chords and there are issues here that take priority, the finding of new material and including it in the library, also a quicker, easier procedure of adding songs from Members requests has to take precedence. Sadly these things take time and second place to earning a living and it will happen, but it is impossible to predict a timescale as to when.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hi Beamer. None of us that regularly post our own songs or reference other people's songs are happy with the chordpro situation but we do have to grin and bear it. No amount of moaning on so many different forums is going to get it done any quicker. This person ZG wants the penny and the bun, and I'm sorry if I offended anyone but I just lost patience with him and I don't think I'm the only one

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

10 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-06-27 00:21:15)

The first thing I would like to say to Z G thank you for letting us know about your search to find a better site,  I am pleased that you no doubt after a good search found no other site that can do better. ZG this site is not a  Business Corperation   or Government it is  a place for people doing things for people in an unselfesh manner.. So if your frustrated that is fine but please dont expect people on here to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. As the technology gets better no doubt the things this site can't do will get better.. If you are onto better ways of doing better things than please let Chordie know. I am sure everone will then use your learnings to improve what we have.