Topic: when things go wrong when you're playing live

I've just got home from playing a gig where I had a couple of technical issues that I hope one of you nice people may be able to help me with.
Towards the end of the set I started to gradually loose volume.  It wasn't a sudden drop off, it was quite subtle at first but became worse over the course of a couple of songs (I thought it was my imagination at first).  I use a wireless pack so the first thing I did was drop that and use a cable instead (as I guessed it could be due to interference).  That didn't help and so eventually, when it became so bad I was hardly audible, I disconnected the effects and ran the guitar straight in to the amp which worked a treat and I played the rest of the night without effects.
The pedal board was going straight in to the front end of a solid state Fender amp (it doesn't have an effects loop).  It seems likely that it was something on the pedal board that was causing the problem but I can't think of anything that would make the sound reduce gradually rather than just cutting out suddenly.  I use eight pedals powered on a daisy chain and have never had this problem before.
Any ideas?

Re: when things go wrong when you're playing live

Power issue where you were playing and the pedals weren't getting enough juice? I always bring batteries in case I'm playing somewhere with bad power

"Sounds" like there could be a problem with one of your pedals, and something over-heating inside (like a swollen resistor or capacitor will do). Try isolating each one in your chain (guitar > one pedal > amp) and working through them. The culprit should reveal itself if you give each one time to warm up.

Good luck!

ACOUSTICS:  Cordoba D10-CE / LaPatrie "Concert" / Takamine GD30CE-12 / Norman ST30
ELECTRICS:  EP Les Paul Custom Pro / Gretsch Streamliner G2420T
AMPS:  Traynor YCS50 / Peavey VK212 / Traynor AM150T
EFFECTS: Boss ME-80 Multi-effects / Ibanez WD7 wah

4 (edited by Tenement Funster Yesterday 22:46:16)

Shaun ...

Don't know if you're still checking in, but was wondering how you've made out finding the source of your volume drop troubles? Would love to hear how you solved it, as this becomes a great part of the knowledge base here, which all can learn from.

ACOUSTICS:  Cordoba D10-CE / LaPatrie "Concert" / Takamine GD30CE-12 / Norman ST30
ELECTRICS:  EP Les Paul Custom Pro / Gretsch Streamliner G2420T
AMPS:  Traynor YCS50 / Peavey VK212 / Traynor AM150T
EFFECTS: Boss ME-80 Multi-effects / Ibanez WD7 wah