1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-07-05 10:14:43)

Topic: New Song Conquests?

Hi all ...

Just wondering what songs everyone's been working on these days, aside of personal stuff. I always have a few "project songs" on the go, to improve technique, increase the repertoire, and just to keep things interesting. A couple that are "in process" for me right now are:

"Reelin' In the Years" (Steely Dan)
Love the opening riff, and have found the exact tone of it on the Gretsch after some experimentation. The note combinations are fun, and the original recording featured Jeff Baxter & Elliott Randall on guitar ... terrific musicians.

"Ramble On" (Led Zeppelin)
Trouble with this one is that I'm a bass singer, so trying to sing-a-long in Plant's vocal register is impossible. The guitar part isn't too hard, and I've got the foot tapping part down pretty good! lol

Re: New Song Conquests?

I love reelin in the years and most of Zeps work.

As for learning new songs 3 little birds...1 verse 1 chorus and it took me weeks to learn them. There are a couple of others I'd like to learn down down by quo and owner of a lonely heart by Yes, not a big ask is it?

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

3 (edited by TIGLJK 2017-07-05 20:34:29)

I am working on Redemption song by Marley
Got the riff down pretty good.

Chords not bad. Timing - still bad but slowly improving

Singing- ummm never gonna work;)

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Think I've got Tracks of my Tears, Smokey Robinson sorted.

the chordie geordie

I've been working on Closer to Fine by the Indigo Girls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miqUNlX6ig8

Still working on Jack & Diane and Santa Monica from the Song of the Month forum.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I'm working on songs from Bob Wier's latest album Blue Mountain. Working on Only a River and One more River to Cross.

This is so cool ...

Most of the songs listed are ones I'm unfamiliar with, and that's whole beauty of being a musician. We will never exhaust the massive repertoire of what's been written, nor will we ever run out of personal creativity to do our own thing. Long live music!

Tyson7 wrote:

I'm working on songs from Bob Wier's latest album Blue Mountain. Working on Only a River and One more River to Cross.

I didn't care much for Blue Mountain the first time I heard it. But I throw it in the player now and then and it's starting to grow on me.

Unclejoe, Same with me. I wasn't sure with the first listen. It does grow on you. I like a lot of the stuff going on in the background of these songs.

I started playing with a local group composed of elderly folks who play "golden oldies", songs that date back pretty far, some over a century. I enjoy doing the older standards simply because most of the songs written back then contain relevant good wholesome feelings and observations about home, county, etc. AND they aren't easy to play, some downright difficult chord progressions. I've learned a lot from them, even though the teaching comes from gazoos, autoharps, washboards, and just about anything that will make noise. I'm told that one of their members used to play a handsaw and was pretty good at it. Made me laugh...

I have  just pretty much nailed the song " You're still standing there"   by Steve Earle

simple progression and chords - great song... makes very good singalong song ( That's why I like it - so others sing instead of me  smile
I couldn't find it on Chordie but here is link to another site that has it
https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/s/stev … mplified=1

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

- I have officially given up on learning Chris Cornell. His range is 4 octaves greater than mine and I can't pull anything off without sounding lame.
- Wrapping up Bobbie McGee.
- Learning Taxi.
- I am also trying to add the following to my solo acoustic repertoire: A Kiss To Build A Dream On, El Paso, I Wish.

"Geeks" is the one I've been tinkering with.  But, I don't can't get as fancy as she does, so I'm figuring out some strumming to do with it instead (and anything other than barre chords, because I still refuse to learn them - it's all about being stubborn).

Oh, in case you don't know the song:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWX5kXHazbE

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

The Weight by The Band, then alternating the verses with Mr Bojangles

Thick as two short planks

mekidsmom wrote:

"Geeks" is the one I've been tinkering with.  But, I don't can't get as fancy as she does, so I'm figuring out some strumming to do with it instead (and anything other than barre chords, because I still refuse to learn them - it's all about being stubborn).

Oh, in case you don't know the song:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWX5kXHazbE

I really like this one, MKM ... it's got a few interesting quirks, and she performs it very well. Love the vid ... so apropos for the title.