Topic: Taylor or Martin or?

Hi,I'm a newby to this site although I did use the old site,especially for Songbooks,(thanks To You All. I notice the discussion on Taylor versus Martin guitars. Can I ask all you "experts" out there,where would you rate Takamine guitars?
My big problem is that I like to play,even at 72 but I'm in South Africa where 1$ costs me 22 South African Rand,so anything is expensive. I have a Washburn and an Ibanez but am looking for a guitar with a with a rich,deep tone.
Any ideas for the aged and poor.Thanks, dajman@ telkomsa.net.(dajman140)

Re: Taylor or Martin or?

I personally don't have any experience with Takamine but I know there are others here that do.

Have you considered any other makes? I have an early 80's Alvarez that I would put up against any of the 3 you mentioned for full, rich sound.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Alvarez … SwX~dWqtr6

The Epiphone Masterworks series is also a fine line of quality guitars that really pack a punch.

Here is an older Epi with a spruce top and mahogany b/s. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1973-Ep … SwFNZWzNF-

I know shipping to SA would negate any savings relative to the Martin or Taylor but it might be something to look into in your area.

I own a couple of Taylors and a Takamini Jasmine that was the first guitar I ever bought new for $250 .i have had it for 25 years now and still play it regularly .it plays good and sounds good to my untrained ears.

out of tune out of key and out of touch

"experts" - I love that you put that in quotes, because while we may have a few actual experts here, the rest of us are just having fun!  smile

I have played a couple Tak's in stores and those that I picked up were not very loud.  They felt funny in my hands too.  I love my Martin, and would not hesitate with a Taylor either.  The taks are just shaped different, so that could be something that takes some getting used to maybe.  Good luck in your search for a decent guitar at a price that won't break the bank!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Consider Guild and Seagull, as they have the best low projection I have tried.  Taks tend to be a little jangly in my opinion, but that works for a lot of songs.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Agree on Guild.

I play a low end import line they used to make in the 60's called Madeira. I love these guitars. They have them on e-bay for cheap (200-300 US) from time to time. I own 4.

Don't think a. Day goes by without me picking up my Takamine EN 20 . I used to covet my mates Gibson but he now thinks my Tak is the best sounding guitar in the area where I live. This guitar has made me want to learn more

the chordie geordie

8 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-03-08 23:32:08)

I'm a firm believer that the name brand means a lot less than the quality of the guitar itself. Pretty well every brand makes guitars from entry-level to top-of-the-line, and are priced accordingly. Coming from a +30-year retail background, I know firsthand that the companies with the highest profiles, celebrity endorsements, extensive marketing campaigns, etc. simply must build those expenses into the cost of their product.

Great quality guitars are made by Takamine, Larrivee, Eastman, Guild, Norman, Seagull, Simon & Patrick, Yamaha, Cordoba, Epiphone, Sigma, etc., as well as by Gibson, Taylor, and Martin. My 12-string is a Takamine, which I like very much. Most of them also make lower priced guitars so they don't miss that market, so the brand-name sticker can't really be the criteria to base a purchase on.

Regardless of brand, an all-solid-wood guitar (no plywood) is going to give you that deep & rich tone you're looking for, much better than a plywood one. At the least, an all-solid-wood top with laminate sides & back will be a more economic second choice. That's how my Takamine is made, and although I like it, it is a bit "shallow in the deep end" if you get my meaning. Next to that, the guitar has to "fit" you in terms of size, neck shape / width, etc. Do a bit of self-education on guitar construction, find ones that are well-made, and then let your ears and hands do the talking. As UJB has already said, the Epiphone Masterworks are an all-solid-wood construction that are priced reasonably, as are the Yamaha "A" series.

Happy hunting!

gtx wrote:

Don't think a. Day goes by without me picking up my Takamine EN 20 . I used to covet my mates Gibson but he now thinks my Tak is the best sounding guitar in the area where I live. This guitar has made me want to learn more

I love my Takamine's I have a G72ae and a small one also great sounding from both.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

To all you guys out there who offered sound advice,I thank you so much.I have made notes and will now investigate.Many thanks and Cheers.

Don't forget to stop back and let us know what you decided on. smile

It's been 3 weeks... WHAT DID YOU GET?  smile  Those of us not currently guitar shopping need to know, so we can live vicariously though you!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I've played for 40 years,  mostly lower end guitars.  When I wanted to move up,  I thought 'Taylor or Martin?"   so I played a lot of them.  And never found the one for me.  Then,  I asked a dealer "if I want a good guitar, but don't want a Taylor or Martin,  what should I try?"  He said "Gibson".  I thought Gibson acoustics were just for old timey 1930s players,  not us modern guys!  Then I tried one.  It was THE ONE.  I tried at least 10 examples of the same model and they were ALL THE ONE.  8 years later,  it still is.

All great guitars,you need too go too a music store and see which guitar feels and sounds right for you.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I agree with another post. What ive always said to anyone looking to buy a guitar is, try out all guitars you can get to try in music stores. The one that "calls your name" by the feel and sound, price permitting, is the one to buy. It could turnout to be an unknown brand to you.
Good luck
Kona

Since I have started playing guitar again after a break of over thirty years I regret selling my Takamine all those years ago. Recently I have been trying out all sorts of guitars and have played some nice sounding accoustic that are priced at around five hundred to six hundred dollar New Zealand mark made by various guitar makers. To find a guitar that works I think it requires spending lot's of time in music shops selling guitars.

I'm hooked on my lil 'ol Martin  .   

My Alvarez plays awesome...... but I am so comfortable with my Martin now... it's like what the others here have said - it's like it found me not the other way around....

LISTEN TO THIS  - EXPLAINS IT ALL smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHxOego2Sso

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

I just bought a Tak, I love it.  also the type of strings can have a big effect on the sound, if you can get  Ernie Ball Earthwoods, they have that smoky woody sound, some oare brighter than others.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

i am a Martin and Gibson fan

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

How you looked at Maton ( an Australian brand). Very well made guitars - probably have a " Martin" type style or feel. A range of prices but wont break the bank. Jack Johnson; John Butler and Tommy Emmanuel play them. Nice sounding and nice to play.