1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-07-20 10:43:16)

Topic: Acoustic Guitar Effects by BOSS

Here's an interesting clip by the great Jon Gomm, describing how he uses an assortment of BOSS pedals while playing his percussive-fingerstyle acoustic guitar. I don't know where he learned how to do all of these things, but it's quite slick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4ECPsHpI_Q

How about the rest of you? Do you use effects with your acoustic(s)? I'll toss in a bit of Reverb or Chorus sometimes, but that's about it.

(Jon's custom-made Lowden is one of the most abused guitars I've seen ... I'll never be able to afford a Lowden!)

Re: Acoustic Guitar Effects by BOSS

Thanks for the info TF. I've been thinking about trying an effects pedal but don't know the first thing about them. How do you hook them up? do they need a power source? I need some education on these gadgets.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Seeing as how you asked.... this should get you started:   http://www.guitarplayer.com/gear/1012/p … rder/54929
Some will need power and some don't, most will run on "power cubes" and at common voltages so you could power a few off of one source.  Many have battery run capabilities as well so you can still perform if line current is unavailable, or heaven forfend, you fry a transformer.

Personally I only use a couple of effects regularly, so the ones provided by my amp suffice and I can "stack" effects via midi control, or add them on a second channel or from the mixer.  Not the same as using real stomp boxes, but good enough for the stuff I do.  (and less stuff to lug around) wink

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

4 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-07-21 10:19:37)

bluejeep wrote:

Thanks for the info TF. I've been thinking about trying an effects pedal but don't know the first thing about them. How do you hook them up? do they need a power source? I need some education on these gadgets.

Good questions, BJ ...

Personally I don't go the route that Jon Gomm does, because it's just too complex as Doug has said. Most of them will run with a 9V adaptor or batteries. A simple multi-effects unit (no wiring them together) is what I prefer, where the guitar just plugs into it and a second chord goes to the amp. Several good ones are:

Boss "ME-25"
Electro-Harmonix "Epitome"
Digitech "RP360"
Vox "StompLab 2G"

I'm considering the VOX for acoustic stuff, because it has all the basics, it's compact, tough, and doesn't cost very much.

Gidday all
If you are getting an effects pedal,i would erg you to look @ Red Witch Pedals.
http://www.redwitchpedals.com/
they are true analog pedals,they have built in lith battery,  120hrs playing time.
small & solid also.
They are made by a small company here in NZ.
ps. i happen to shareholder,so i`m a bit biased.

The King Of Audio Torture

I thank you all for the information, I have a lot to learn. I need to figure out a way to convince my wife that there are some things out there that I just can't live without.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

this is good info for those who are intersted to play guitar.