1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-07-09 10:26:34)

Topic: DEFYING GRAVITY

My dear wife & best friend of almost 40 years were enjoying some conversation last evening, and reflecting on how much we've relied on each other over the years. We realized that most of what we came through together couldn't have happened if we were alone, and that our unity has been our strength. She finally said, "It's like we defied gravity together." So this came about this morning, and I can't wait for her to wake so I can share it with her:

DEFYING GRAVITY

There's a weight on your shoulders
Which I'd willingly bear
But I've grown so much older
The strength isn't there
Your warmth has grown colder
You think I don't care
So I'll seek to be bolder
Defying gravity … I dare.

REFRAIN:    You'd love to fly high but the air won't hold you
        You'd love to leave your all your pain far behind
        You'd love to soar far above all that's below you
        You'd defy gravity to gain peace of mind.

We can't alter the weather that's coming,
But we can be prepared
We can avoid getting soaked though it's raining
A drenching can be spared
That water can hold your weight sustaining
Lay back and be carried
Float high without your strength draining
Defy gravity … don't be scared.

REFRAIN:    You can fly high though the air won't hold you
        You can leave your all your pain far behind
        You can soar far above all that's below you
        You can defy gravity and gain peace of mind.

To rise above sadness begins in the mind
Step back and see what's there
Despair doesn't have to make us blind
Doesn't have to cause tears
We lean on each other as life unwinds
We lift and we bear
As one we transcend all that binds
Defying gravity … yes, we are.

REFRAIN:    We will fly high even though the air can't hold us
        We will leave all our pain far behind
        We will soar far above all that's below us
        We'll defy gravity and gain peace of mind.

Re: DEFYING GRAVITY

You people that can do this amaze me.

Really cool! When are you going to set it to music?

TF

Amazing lyrics

That is very very cool

It will make a lovely morning for you and your wife, as well as a great song. 

Your wife sounds like she has been an inspiration for many years, but became a song writing partner with her insightfulness.  Great line, " defying gravity".     

Thanks for sharing and can't wait til you put it to song version , although in its present form it is already spectacular

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Behind every great man is a great woman. Two are always  stronger than one. Sometimes it is easier to take on a challenge when you have someone who loves you encouraging one through the tough times . That  line of your poem describes this well. (We' ll defy gravity and gain peace of mind) .    TF your poem covers a good love match  perfectly I hope I get hear it presented as a song sometime..

One of the most profound and heartfelt poems/songs I've seen in a long time, reminds me of my own relationship. As I always say "you must have hard times to appreciate the good times" .

A truly fine piece.

Edited to read hard times not had times.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Thanks, everyone ... some of the rhyming is a bit "forced", so it'll get some re-working I'm sure.

7 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-07-11 07:22:53)

TF your poem made me think about about the 45 years I have known my wife who is my anchor and love. Though strangely for us we were friends for many before we fell in love and got married just over 35 years ago. Anyway I knew somewhere I had writen a song around this a while ago. I have just found it my voice isnt good on it but I hope it conveys my and Maree's  love for each other. Attached is the song. It was just recorded on my cell phone.

https://soundcloud.com/eatleville/seaside-reflection

peatle - I liked your song - you should post the lyrics with it.
Did your wife sing along as well ?
Thanks for sharing.
Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Thank you Jim my wife Maree helped with the harmony on the chorus. I have posted the lyrics on  here in the poem section and on soundcloud for anyone thats interested.

TF ..............I really like this ............lots of good lines and meaning in there.  I hope you do make it into a song smile

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Really a great composition, I am speechless.

<a href="https://www.hometurph.com/home-cleaning-services-in-delhi-ncr">Home Cleaning Services in Delhi</a> 
[URL=https://www.hometurph.com/residential-deep-cleaning-services-in-delhi-ncr]Deep Cleaning Services in Delhi[/URL]