Topic: August 2017 FSOTM - Challenge Month!

Ok - so we're going to just take a Challenge Month because... frankly, my Dear, there weren't enough suggestions!

How's the Challenge Month work?  Here's how we'll try this one...

1. Pick a song, any song you like... cover it... upload... challenge!
2. Take that challenge!  Try to cover the one before you, and offer up another song as a challenge if you like!
3. Snowball out of control with multiple songs offered up as challenges that others can pick from and try out too!

These don't have to be GREAT AMAZING COVERS... have FUN with it!

You can't challenge others, unless you submit a recording!

I have no clue if this will work or not, but I think it could be a LOT of fun!  If no one else puts a song up, I'll get one on there ASAP to start out the challenge!  If you want to try to beat me to it, go for it!  The first one to post a recording starts the challenge rolling!

Go!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Re: August 2017 FSOTM - Challenge Month!

This is a fun idea. Do we stipulate that the recordings need to be current; no recycling old stuff?

Great idea MKM
just banged out a quicky to get the ball a rollin`
come on chordians, i challenge you to cover this song! YES YOU!
https://soundcloud.com/rough-as-gut/bad-moon-rising

The King Of Audio Torture

4 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-08-03 01:10:51)

Great Idea Mekidsmom. Nice cover EB. I am not up to doing covers at the moment due to health issues.   I will do a cover of Bad Moon as soon as  I can. I will put up a Rolling Stone Cover now that I did a while back in the mean time. Hope that is ok, You Got The Silver a Rolling Stone song.
https://soundcloud.com/eatleville/you-got-the-silver

easybeat wrote:

Great idea MKM
just banged out a quicky to get the ball a rollin`
come on chordians, i challenge you to cover this song! YES YOU!
https://soundcloud.com/rough-as-gut/bad-moon-rising

Sweet!  I'll give this one a try since the chords don't seem too tricky.  wink 

BGD wrote:

This is a fun idea. Do we stipulate that the recordings need to be current; no recycling old stuff?

Hmmm... I say, if you can do a new one go for it... if not... cheating works this month, preferably only for covering a challenge (not for introducing new challenges), but... I'm just a girl who makes things up as I go.  I won't delete anything if it breaks the "rules", and I'll probably still like it!  ha ha!

Great Idea Mekidsmom. Nice cover EB. I am not up to doing covers at the moment due to health issues.   I will do a cover of Bad Moon with my friend Robert as soon as  I can. I will put up a Rolling Stone Cover now that I did a while back in the mean time. Hope that is ok, You Got The Silver a Rolling Stone song.
https://soundcloud.com/eatleville/you-got-the-silver

Huh, I don't know that one, I don't think.  Always good to hear stuff from ya!  Bluesy slide... nice!  I'm going to say this one can't be a "challenge" because it should be a "new" cover... but, I still like it!  tongue

6 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-08-03 04:20:39)

I descided to just bash out Bad Moon  with just me and the piano it  is all I could do in a quick bash. Maybe it is a better song for Mekidsmom to cover.??  Or maybe whoever wants to  be the next one  up to do a cover. I am sure I have set the bar low enough for anyone to do it better than me.
https://soundcloud.com/eatleville/bad-moon-rising

I'm eager to give Bad Moon Rising a go.  I'm going to let Peatle Jville win his challenge with his slide blues.  Consider my hat tipped to both Easybeat and Peatle.

Here's my challenge song.  Tin Cup Chalice by Jimmie Buffett.
https://soundcloud.com/user-35218982/ti … ge-edition

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I loved the piano version of Bad Moon Rising.  It was really fun for you to keep us in the impulsive mode.  I tried to leave this message, more or less, on your SoundCloud account but I don't think it "took."

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Ok, no real practice went into this - one try - one take:  https://soundcloud.com/user-935684483/b … -challenge

Jim did it too (quite well), however I forgot to push the darn button to record!

mekidsmom wrote:

Ok, no real practice went into this - one try - one take:  https://soundcloud.com/user-935684483/b … -challenge

Jim did it too (quite well), however I forgot to push the darn button to record!

Whatever my Audacity had is contagious. Tell Jim to do it again. That's the cool thing about owning your own guitars.

11 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-08-04 23:37:38)

Zurf and Mekidsmom you had a chance to make a mess of the songs you did,  but instead you did them perfectly.
This morning listening  to you both made  me feel like I was in the same music  canoe  as you. I think you and  your  musical paddles are doing a better job than mine. Thank you for being  exceptional singers and players.
Zurf thank you for your kind words.

MKM
practice,whats that? i love your first time version.
thats the way i always do it.i think a few mistakes are far overriden by the
energy & spontaneity of a first take.
lets hope SOM momentum keeps going.

The King Of Audio Torture

ok so I had every intention of doing bad moon rising, been playing that one for a long time. never realized how bad I sounded singing it until I recorded it. lets just say it don't fit my voice. so instead here is a song I just learned last month by REK.
https://soundcloud.com/mojo01/gringo-honeymoon

out of tune out of key and out of touch

Mojo great choice of song. It is the first time this Gringo has heard that  song and I enjoyed it  immensely. I was just wondering what is the DEA the cowboy was running from???

Peatle Jville wrote:

Mojo great choice of song. It is the first time this Gringo has heard that  song and I enjoyed it  immensely. I was just wondering what is the DEA the cowboy was running from???

that would be the drug enforcement agency

Muchas Gracias, Thank you Mojo.

Peatle Jville wrote:

Muchas Gracias, Thank you Mojo.

de nada mi amigo
now knowing that it should explain these lines .
he blew a smoke ring and he smiled at me, I aint never going back
and we were  flying like the end was not in sight and we soared all afternoon

if you liked that song you should check more of his stuff. Robert earl Kean, all of his songs tell a good story

Mojo he is good.   First time I have heard of Robert earl Kean and I am enjoying his songs and clever lyrics.
I have just now been reading his lyrics and checking him out on youtube. Words of his like the ones he wrote down below paint a good  picture
He now has a new fan in me.
I don't wear no Stetson
But I'm willin' to bet son
That I'm as big a Texan as you are
There's a girl in her bare feet
Asleep on the back seat
And the trunk's full of Pearl beer and Lone Star

19 (edited by Zurf 2017-08-08 14:39:04)

PJ - If you like Robert Earl Keen, you may also want to check out Slaide Cleaves.  He's another Texan who does a great job with story songs.  Two of my favorites of his are "Quick As Dreams" and "Texas Love Song."  His biggest song is probably "Broke Down," and it is also very good in my opinion.

Edit to add: "Breakfast in Hell" is a fantastic story song.

Edit again to add: I learned Quick as Dreams, so I'll record that and put it up on SoundCloud as a challenge song once I complete a recording of Bad Moon Rising.

My version of Bad Moon Rising.  That was a blast.  Great choice Peatle Jville.

https://soundcloud.com/user-35218982/ba … -challenge

21 (edited by Zurf 2017-08-08 23:18:35)

My cover of Quick as Dreams by Slaide Cleaves for Peatle Jville.  It's a true story, for what it's worth.

https://soundcloud.com/user-35218982/qu … tle-jville

22 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-08-09 01:36:29)

Zurf I enjoyed your cover of Bad Moon Rising. This is my first time hearing any Slaide Cleaves songs. Zurf I was sold on your version of Quick As Dreams you do it well  the song suits your guitar and voice. Racing Horses was a big part of New Zealand culture when I was growing up. Also over the years many a rider has been killed..
Great lyrics. After hearing your version I went to youtube and had a listen to  Slaide other songs I loved every minute of it. Thank you  He has got a great way of using words that tell great stories in song. I am now a fan of Slaide Cleaves thank you.
Some of Slaide songs have parts in them that could be about places or people  I know in New Zealand. These lyrics of his below describe the ruin of many a great town.
I grew up in the valley, every neighbor a friend
Until the modern world started creeping in
One day came the lawyers, with cash in hand
They swore that our village would light up the land

Not a bad day for you then PJ. You've got two new to you artists to explore.

Thank you for the kind words about my cover of Quick As Dreams. The first time I heard it, I knew I had to learn it. Another song like that was Rhumba Man by Jesse Winchester. I'm still working the arrangement on it, but the first time I heard it (covered by Jimmy Buffett) I had my bass in hand and was working out the main riff before the song ended.

mojo01 wrote:

ok so I had every intention of doing bad moon rising, been playing that one for a long time. never realized how bad I sounded singing it until I recorded it. lets just say it don't fit my voice. so instead here is a song I just learned last month by REK.
https://soundcloud.com/mojo01/gringo-honeymoon

I looked up the chords, and they seem straightforward enough. Not sure if I'll get the rhythm on the singing. You did it very well, but I may rise to the challenge. It'll probably wind up a hack fest, but what the heck. Were all friends here.

It has been a great day for me getting to explore two great new artists. Zurf it also got me thinking back to when I was a five or six year old having lessons to help me speak English. The song Quick As dreams got me thinking of a short tongue twister I had to learn as a kid  about  race horses to improve my speach..
One-one was a race horse.
Two-two was one too.
One-one won one race.
Two-two won one too.