Topic: The "New String" Effect

I put a new set of D'Addario NYXL's on my Les Paul last evening, and was listening to the change in tone it made afterwards. Unlike an acoustic guitar, the magnetic reaction is what makes the sound, not the string itself vibrating and reverberating with the guitar's body.

For this reason, the only thing I could notice was a wee improvement in sustain, but little else. When new strings are put on an acoustic, it almost sounds like a new guitar ... much more noticeable.

I will say that the Grover 106 locking tuners make string changing so incredibly easy, and the NYXL strings do stay in tune better than anything else I've used, especially on a guitar with a tremolo or if you do lots of bending.

Just some observations ...

Re: The "New String" Effect

I have locking tuners on one guitar and will eventually add them to all the others.  Game changer for string changes and also on stage string breaks. 

I just switched to DR strings for my electric and so far love them.

I have used different strings over the years, and i am always going back to GHS BOOMERS. 
The biggest thing you notice is not the sound of new strings but the feel and weather you are on 9's or 10s

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

On my electrics I like 9s, 10s or 11s on acoustics. On my Strat I used GHS Boomers as they sounded and felt the best. On my Tele I use Fenders, I can't work out why there's such a difference in two guitars made by the same people? So, I put a new set on the Tele last night as the old ones wouldn't let my fingers slide on the strings. I'll have to start changing them more often.
Down side is; new strings don't sound right till they get a bit dirty.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

5 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-08-23 08:59:08)

My own preference is 10's on electrics, and 12's on acoustics. A guy I jam with was using GHS Boomers (9's) on his Strat, but seemed to be re-tuning every 10 minutes or so. He switched to the NYXL's just after Christmas (10's) and I've noticed he doesn't re-tune nearly so much. Don't know what they do to their metals, but they do seem to hold tune better. He probably should install locking tuners, which seem to solve most tuning issues on a guitar with a tremolo.

There's a famous band in the UK called the Shadows, Bill knows of them. I recently saw a video of their final tour where the lead guitarist (Hank Marvin) explains why he changes guitars so often during the performance, he says it's because when they started out in the late 50's he used heavy gauge strings, which I expect were flat wound too. As time went on and string technology improved he moved like most of us to lighter round wound strings.
There's a youtube video of Joe Walsh demonstrating how he changes strings, just like all of us I expect until he gets to his final tuning where he grips the string and pulls it out to get the stretch out of them, then tunes again. It's quite interesting and worth watching, sorry but I don't have the link.

Is this the video you were mentioning, Phill?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7gMwE7phoM

I'd never seen it before, and it's very good. Joe would certainly have a guitar tech doing this stuff for him on tour / in studio, but it's cool that he would do this vid himself. The practice of giving the strings a hand stretch (however one does it) it a great tip that expect many Chordians know about. It really helps to settle the strings in quickly.

I've found the Tug to be less needed with locking tuners. You?

Yes TF that's the one. I've been playing for over 50 years and I never knew about it! I'm scared to pull them as much as Joe did incase I break one. It does work though. I'm going to look into locking tuners.

That was fantastic.
I learned so much.

and most of all - I would so much like to spend a couple days hanging out with Joe Walsh- he is sooo funny and cool.

Thanks for sharing Phill and TF.

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke