Topic: Rugby Union Legend.

Legendary former All Black Sir Colin Meads has passed away, aged 81, according to reports.
The former All Black had been ill for the past few months with a kidney problem and was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last August.
Sir Colin will leave behind a legacy as one of our very best rugby players.
However the man nicknamed 'Pinetree', because of his physical size and strength, was much more than that. For many New Zealanders he was the quintessential Kiwi: stoic, steadfast, and dependable.
In an interview before he died, he said: "I do recollect actually playing and starting, and saying well now I'm an All Black and from there on I made a statement -  that it's one thing to be an All Black, it's another thing to be a good one."
And a rugby-mad country did depend on him, as he wore the black jersey 133 times in his 15-year career in the All Blacks.

"Well the best moment is when you're first picked. Just to become an All Black and to just get to play for the All Blacks," he said. "That's the greatest moment when you're first selected and your name's read out. It's a real shock and it's a great thrill."
The Te Kuiti farmer was a hard man, known as an enforcer. After being sent from the field in one international for dangerous play, Britain's The Telegraph said that given Sir Colin's reputation for robust play, it was like sending a burglar to prison for a parking offence.
Mind you, it took a lot to make Pinetree leave the field. He famously played with a broken arm against Eastern Transvaal in South Africa, and as he was being attended to after the game his only comment was "at least we won the bloody game".
His devotion to his teammates made him immensely popular and forged friendships for life.
"There's always characters in every team. You think of Monkey Briscoe, Waka and all those boys and they're all great mates and we had great times and you'd often think back to them," he said. "I wonder if they have the fun we used to have, because I don't think they do nowadays."
Life after rugby for Sir Colin wasn't always easy, but the amateur rugby player did find some small fortune to go with his fame though as an unlikely star of television commercials.
When knighthoods were reintroduced in 2009, Sir Colin was an obvious candidate.
However, he said he didn't want to be called a Sir like fellow All Blacks Sir Wilson Whineray and Sir Brian Lochore - they, he said, were perfect gentlemen and deserved the title whereas he, in his words, was a bit rougher.
Sir Colin leaves behind his wife and four children.

Re: Rugby Union Legend.

Peatle
an end of an era,they don`t make sport stars like Colin anymore.
He was humble ordinary type of bloke.The best thats been.
Saw him in the pub the day he got his knighthood.
I would guess all the other people  knighted were at an exclusive cocktail bar.
It`s a great pity that todays sports people seem to be all cash & flash.

The King Of Audio Torture

3 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-08-21 00:56:36)

Easybeat he was a down to earth humble man this short interview he did  attached with a Welsh lady shows that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ9IlQYVVIc

And I will also add another two minute clip about his life for anyone who is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUuMZh9cuSs

Peatle

That was wonderful.... it is shameful that with all the famous athletes the USA has, there are almost none that have the fabric that Sir Colin Meads was made of. 
If the interviewer asked American Athletes the same question about who they wold want to be with it would probably be answered with - " Me, Myself, and I" !

I think I need to visit New Zealand someday - beautiful place - and   I could spend a day just listening to that young lady speak -  great accent and she was so full of honest energy and charisma !
Thanks for sharing - I enjoyed that.

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

5 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-08-22 22:57:36)

Thank you TIG humility is part of our Kiwi sporting culture and how we raise our Kids The golden glory of the All Blacks’ Rugby World Cup success is screaming out to become a movie.
The All Blacks are No.1 in the world – and now three times world champions. They claimed the world cup in style and showed great composure when down to 14 as Australia got back into the game. But what has impressed everyone has been the All Blacks’ attitude and the culture the coaching staff and Richie McCaw have created.
McCaw and Dan Carter were so humble after winning. Coach Steve Hansen was seen consoling the Australians on the field at the end. He showed sympathy to the Springboks after the semi-finals. That’s great to see. The All Blacks all looked so happy. Many years ago the amateur All Blacks were labelled the unsmiling giants in the UK. Times have changed.
What epitomised the All Blacks’ down to earth nature was Sonny Bill Williams giving his gold winners medal away to a young boy after the game. The small boy was flattened by a bullfrog security guard for running on the pitch as the players were strolling around Twickenham waving to fans. Williams put his arm around the boy, took him back to his mum and gave the lad his medal.
McCaw and Carter deflected questions about playing their last games for the All Blacks. They did not want the golden occasion to focus on them. There are a lot of positive messages for young New Zealanders in the All Blacks’ attitude and humility. We can all learn from it. Not sure if Hollywood actors have the same ethos as the All Blacks though!  I think that in most countries kids do get to learn through sports  how to be a good person.  Tig the young lady you mentioned from that interview with Colin Meads is from Phills part of the world Wales and was speaking a bit of their National language.
I will attach a song about the Kiwi psyche around competition and doing well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRcGxhsy0ag

It`s a big loss...
R.I.P.