Topic: Eclipse Mania !!

Don't know about the rest of the world, but my little town has gone crazy.  We are 20 miles South of the centerline of the Totality and the place is getting crowded..... Hotel rooms that usually cost $65-$85 are up to $1000-$1300 per person and booked solid, farmers have rented out their pastures for RV and Tent camping for up to $500 per site (without services or facilities).  If this was a time of War (like England in WWII) they'd be locking folks up for "Profiteering".  But on the brighter side, local administration is getting a chance to test the infrastructure and preparedness for some calamity that might result in a sudden influx of "refugees".... which might be a good thing.  Myself,  I'm expecting loss of cellular and internet service from an extra half million folks all wanting to "instagram" their friends back home, and possibly "brown-outs" or power outages, and there has been concern that because of the traffic, fuel deliveries might be delayed and some travelers might have trouble "topping-off" for the trip home.

Got my glasses, sunscreen, lawn chairs and 5 gallons of iced tea..... life is good !!  wink

Oh, yeah and Relatives coming up from California due today and overdue......

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Re: Eclipse Mania !!

I could say...for every positive there's a negative. Or...every cloud has a silver lining. I could do so I shall. Enjoy the eclipse I'd love to see it but I'm working that day....I wish.

Hope your family get there safe

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

The last total solar eclipse that went over us was in the mid-90's ... it was hilarious. People showed up from everywhere with welding goggles, home-made camera boxes, etc. And then it rained all day ... so it just got dark for a couple of hours. It was unfortunate for everyone that traveled and prepared their gear, but I honestly got a chuckle out of the irony.

I saw one when I was a kid.  It was OK.  I can't imagine spending that kind of cash for the chance of seeing another one.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

There are 2 people who last time just looked for a moment and both have blind spots from cornea burn. One of them is going crazy to see it again. I just know if I need to go somewhere I will need to use headlights.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

Seems like much ado about nothing.... except I won't be around for the next one (at least on this part of the world).  Lots of fun stuff to do in town and around the region to keep folks entertained anyway, music festivals, crafts fairs, car shows, and such.

Relations rolled in late last night without any major mishaps to report from the journey.  A good thing because I have a couple of Berry pies fresh baked that I really need some help disposing of, and I just know If I eat them myself, it'll just go "straight to my midsection" !!!  LOL Because at 6 feet and 165 Lbs, that would not be a problem (as the "Spousal Unit" growls about dietary sabotage), what can I say? I like to bake and the family likes that I like to.....  wink

Whipped Cream on that, anyone ??

7 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-08-21 07:13:40)

At this special time in history  when  the earth, sun and moon line up .
The Eclipse only visable to those who are blessed.
Whipped Cream on a nice Berry Pie.
Friends and family dropping by.
This is not a time to say goodbye,

Amy, Just want to give you a heads up.

I'll be coming for a visit on 8-8-24. Total eclipse coming your way. smile

http://static6.businessinsider.com/imag … -north.jpg

9 (edited by Doug_Smith 2017-08-21 19:33:39)

A few observations..... First off, was it worth all the hype ?  Oh Yeah !!  The show started about 09:06 local time and as things progressed as expected. Then around halfway it became noticeably cooler and perceptively dimmer in ambient illumination, colors were altered (due to the lack of blue light spectrum) almost made one want to don a sweatshirt as we had a slight breeze when earlier it was surely shorts sandals & T-shirt weather.  Finally it reached that point where you had to remove your protective glasses and could look directly at the Sun, seeing the corona and that was really spectacular with the brightest stars visible on the outlying regions of sky.  Twilight darkness all around, birds had all gone to roost and not even a few bees flying around.  We had a minute or so to try to get a photo before the Sum emerged, and I'm sad to say it proved impossible with the camera not able to discern enough light to focus even without a filter..... bummer! sad

Now it's over, we feel tired, and in need of a nap.  Could be just a side effect of the excitement going in, or maybe our Circadian Clocks have been messed with (in the span of a couple hours???). Those heading home (North or South) are having heavy traffic to contend with, although we didn't get anywhere near the half million visitors projected to invade our Village. If you get a chance to experience a Total Eclipse for yourselves sometime, Enjoy it !!  even if you have to travel a few miles it will prove memorable !!!!  The most fun you can have at a party without "adult beverages" or Guitars.....  big_smile

Doug_Smith wrote:

If you get a chance to experience a Total Eclipse for yourselves sometime, Enjoy it !!  even if you have to travel a few miles it will prove memorable !!!!  The most fun you can have at a party without "adult beverages" or Guitars.....  big_smile

Ours was only 75% but well worth the time. I shot a video of the whole thing; 35:00. There was some light cloud cover but the sun/moon did poke through a few times. Then the heavy clouds moved in and that was the end for me. I trimmed the video down to just over 4:00.

https://vimeo.com/230529306

Cloud cover over Wisconsin I had to watch it on you tube not the same

"Growing old is not for sissies"

12 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-08-23 08:33:03)

Watching our TV News here in New Zealand showing farmers fields around small towns full of vehicles for this once in a life time event.  I couldnt help but wonder with the huge influx of vehicles was there any sort of chaos such as Traffic Jams.?

Well, shame on me for not getting a picture up sooner... but... it's fuzzy.  I thought there would be a LOT more photos floating around the internet similar to mine, but much better.  I've been surprised not to see so many, so I'm happy to share my fuzzy photo with ya.

I took one of Jim's welding hoods apart a little, and used the "glass" as a lens filter.  wink  Hence the fuzzyness, but all in all it was good viewing!

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/21083341_10214058379152150_5434342009516155189_o.jpg?oh=f6edd42e28a65bd8ab6eb751122640cc&oe=5A290110

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.