Topic: Software for backup at performances

I have been to several performances where a solo guitarist is singing while some type of computer based program is providing base and percussion. Does anyone know what these are called? Can anyone recommend one for 60's-70's folk and pop music? Thanks!

2 (edited by easybeat 2017-08-26 23:45:23)

Re: Software for backup at performances

Maybe it`s a digitek Trio
you play a simple chord progression,it listens & learns it.
then it comes up with the bass & drum parts to match.
from the settings you can do hundreds of different genres/sound

The King Of Audio Torture

3 (edited by Russell_Harding 2017-08-27 04:39:05)

I have the Digitech Trio and they came out with an upgraded version that has a loop function so you can save each progression and it adds your guitar to the loop automatically.
The cost is around $300

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I sometimes use digital trio  live  but sometimes it can be a problem with getting the rythm right first shot ,so generally I pre record the tracks onto a loop and play them  back,how ever if you are inputting into a pa it doesn't allow the sound guy much leeway to equal the drum and bass so you might have problems .So I am some times a bit reluctant to  go down this route.Don't shy away from it though as it can sound great inthe right situation.For small venues or street  use when I have full control of the pa I input the trio into one channel  guitar into another and vocal  into a third.

Grah1 wrote:

I sometimes use digital trio  live  but sometimes it can be a problem with getting the rythm right first shot ,so generally I pre record the tracks onto a loop and play them  back,how ever if you are inputting into a pa it doesn't allow the sound guy much leeway to equal the drum and bass so you might have problems .So I am some times a bit reluctant to  go down this route.Don't shy away from it though as it can sound great inthe right situation.For small venues or street  use when I have full control of the pa I input the trio into one channel  guitar into another and vocal  into a third.

I have to agree with you on getting the rhythm right I experiment a lot with the different genre dial it would be interesting to run a rhythm unit with a Latin beat into the trio to see it produces any change

"Growing old is not for sissies"

You can buy or record your own backing tracks, I'm not as clever as Russ and Grah, they will take the guess work out of the equation.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I use 'Band-In-A-Box' to create backing tracks. Simply write in the chord sequence, select the style and tempo and 'Bob's your Uncle' you have a track. You can change the instruments or remove them completely.
For the small band I am rehearsing with I record a full track complete with vocals for when they practice alone, but when together I use just a drum and bass track (we have neither a drummer or bass player) so the true sound that we make can be heard.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

8 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-08-29 09:56:17)

Roger Guppy wrote:

I use 'Band-In-A-Box' to create backing tracks. Simply write in the chord sequence, select the style and tempo and 'Bob's your Uncle' you have a track. You can change the instruments or remove them completely.
For the small band I am rehearsing with I record a full track complete with vocals for when they practice alone, but when together I use just a drum and bass track (we have neither a drummer or bass player) so the true sound that we make can be heard.

Roger

Roger ... I'd never heard of this until I read your post, and had a look at their site. "Verrrrry interestink!" as Arte Johnson used to say.

http://www.pgmusic.com/