1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-08-31 19:42:14)

Topic: Happy Birthday, Roger Dean

Legendary album cover artist Roger Dean celebrates his 73rd today.

His cover art has been featured on albums by Uriah Heep, Yes, Gentle Giant, Asia, Pink Floyd, and Osibisa ... to name only a few. Producer James Cameron credits Dean's artwork as inspiring the surreal landscapes and creature designs for the box-office movie sensation "Avatar" (2009), and he has been critically acclaimed and awarded numerous times for his work. Back in the days of vinyl, a Roger Dean album cover generated immediate attention, and we would examine the intricate details of his work while listening to our favorite band's new LP ... which always enhanced the experience. I hope he got to design his own cake! big_smile

http://www.photographsforever.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/IMG_2178R.gif

Re: Happy Birthday, Roger Dean

I had a book of his artwork several years ago - very interesting stuff. Loved all of his Yes covers.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Indeed, Yes had the best album covers.

Happy Birthday Roger.

Never knew his name, but at 73 and still painting, please Lord, let him stay a while longer. I always loved his work, TF! Another one I liked was  H R Giger. I think the paintings he did were a bit "out there" and some are nightmare-inducing,  and it's funny what you think is cool in your 20's, you don't find so cool in your 60's, but I had to put his name in there because whatever his medium, this guy is awesome at what he does, too. ---- "Pinhead" comes to mind, and I think he may have done the chest-buster in "Alien"....

Sorry for the hijack, TF. Have a great weekend!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

5 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-09-01 09:58:06)

One of the things we'd look for in a Roger Dean painting was when / where he chose to use or ignore gravity. There would be pieces of a planet floating in mid-air above the ground, but the waterfalls on them always flowed downwards naturally. Rocks would be floating in the air, but animals would be running in between them with their feet on the ground ... and so on.

Safe to say that Physics wasn't included with his art classes! lol

TF
That is a great observation - must be why I liked his artwork so much (although I must admit the same as Bill - I really never knew or paid attention to his name) - I love paintings that make no sense or have conflicting components - they require you let your brain get out of the paradigms its in -
his artwork on the cover usually reflected the creativity of the musical artistry of the sound within the album.  Guess that's why he only drew for the best.

Thanks for sharing this great introspection.

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Glad you guys had good memories of his work. Salvador Dali also comes to mind when thinking of weird artwork. Back in the days of hallucinogens, this was how the world looked sometimes:

https://learnodo-newtonic.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Salvador-Dali-Famous-Paintings-Featured-932x349.jpg

^ TF - Love Dali as well - there is a Dali Museum here in St. Pete - The largest collection of his art outside of Europe. I spent an afternoon there a few years ago and didn't see half of it - and it is always changing. If you are ever in Florida, I'll take you for a visit - it's amazing.  http://thedali.org/

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Happy Birth day sir

topdown wrote:

^ TF - Love Dali as well - there is a Dali Museum here in St. Pete - The largest collection of his art outside of Europe. I spent an afternoon there a few years ago and didn't see half of it - and it is always changing. If you are ever in Florida, I'll take you for a visit - it's amazing.  http://thedali.org/

Just had look at the Dali website, Topdown ... that's frickin' crazy stuff, man! He seamlessly blended organic with inorganic long before Gene Roddenberry created the Borg.