Topic: Hello

Hi everyone.
Just a quick introduction, just found and joined Chordie. I've just  (3 weeks ago) bought a guitar and will be starting guitar classes in a couple of weeks time. I last played guitar about 45 years ago when at school............... And I didn't progress much back then as I couldn't attend all classes due to living a long way from the school and not being able to travel.
So all these years later I've decided I need to try again. I've been trying to get my fingers accustomed to the strings and learning a few chords ready for when classes start. I'm longing to be able to play a whole recognisable song but guess I need to be patient and keep practicing. smile

Apologies in advance in case I ask any dumb questions and/or in the wrong section.

Re: Hello

Ask whatever questions you like. We've all been where you are. Good luck, and try to practice every day.  It's better to practice 15 minutes a day than three hours once a week.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

3 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-09-05 12:33:44)

Welcome to Chordie, Oldbikes!

Our "policy" here is that there's no such thing as a dumb question, because we all started somewhere and needed to learn along the way. The sharing of info between guitarists is beyond value, and the group here is terrific that way. If you're looking for some structured on-line learning, my personal recommendation would be Justin Sandercoe's website:

https://www.justinguitar.com/

He doesn't officially charge anything for what's there (although buying some of his merch is a neighborly thing to do) and his teaching methodology is first rate. Keep at it ... and before you know it, your callused fingertips will be perfect for guitar playing, and useless for texting! big_smile

P.S. Would love to know what inspired your site name ... we all have a story.

Don't worry about it Oldbikes. I've been playing for 45 years and I'm still not clever enough to ask even a dumb question.

Thick as two short planks

Thanks for introducing yourself to the group !!  And I will add a hearty Welcome to Chordie !  This is a very friendly and helpful Community you "stumbled into", where I'm sure you will
make friends quickly.

Welcome Aboard !!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Hi Oldbikes, welcome, come in sit down and enjoy the banter. Don't worry about asking dumb questions, the dumberer the betterer.

Phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Gidday oldbike
nice to meet ya,hope to hear more from you.

The King Of Audio Torture

8 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-09-06 09:04:10)

Greetings Oldbike
As a person who  has always been really curious about music and slightly confused by the world, I find this is an excellent place to come and ask questions. The fact that I am not a great musician or clever isn't a handicap  on Chordie. Words are singularly the most powerful force available to humanity. Even though I don't  have many clever words, chordies have always indulged my quirkiness with kindness. I don't  have many right answers or good questions when it comes to how to play guitar but there is always some one on here with good ideas questions  and answers. Welcome to this place.

Welcome Oldbikes, the are no dumb questions, we've all been there. I hope you will find the journey fun and memorable.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

10 (edited by unclejoesband 2017-09-06 03:05:10)

Hi Oldbikes,

I believe you'll find that there are a number of us here that put the guitar away for a spell and pulled it back out later in life. Me, I had a 20 year sabbatical and picked it up again almost three years ago. It's a tough road back but you'll get there.

Welcome to Chordie

Hi Oldbikes and welcome to Chordie, you will find an very friendly bunch of people here so, any queries you have, just ask away. I have always said that the only silly question is the one you do not ask, so don't be shy.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hi Oldbikes. Welcome to Chordie. I`m joeyjoeyjoey. Triple J.      J x 3.    JJJ.  I`m the hoarder of the group. Lol. You`re in a great group here.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Thanks for all the friendly welcoming comments.
I am trying to practice regularly, many short sessions a day. I have the guitar in my study and pick it up as often as I can. Finger ends starting to harden up already.
Thanks for the advice, I will check out the site that Tenement Funster suggested. And as for the site name "Oldbikes", another passion is making old motorcycles run again, and if I should ever find time even ride them.............. smile

Tenement Funster wrote:

Welcome to Chordie, Oldbikes!

Our "policy" here is that there's no such thing as a dumb question, because we all started somewhere and needed to learn along the way. The sharing of info between guitarists is beyond value, and the group here is terrific that way. If you're looking for some structured on-line learning, my personal recommendation would be Justin Sandercoe's website:

He doesn't officially charge anything for what's there (although buying some of his merch is a neighborly thing to do) and his teaching methodology is first rate. Keep at it ... and before you know it, your callused fingertips will be perfect for guitar playing, and useless for texting! big_smile

P.S. Would love to know what inspired your site name ... we all have a story.

Just spent quite a while on Justin's site. Looks to me like he knows his stuff and knows how to teach. He's got me hooked already.
It looks useful to me so I'm happy to try and support him.
I'm happy to have callused fingertips coz I don't do much texting, when I want to talk to a friend I talk to them, works brilliantly!! smile

Oldbikes wrote:

I'm happy to have callused fingertips coz I don't do much texting, when I want to talk to a friend I talk to them, works brilliantly!! smile

I like the way you're wired ... people <-> people, without a phone in between.