Topic: Searching For Name Of An Artist

Hi and Happy Labor Day to all Murkins everywhere! Does any other country celebrate a Labor Day on this day? I don't know of one.

Anyway, I am looking for the original singer of "Everybody's Leavin' Town". I have searched and searched again, but all that shows is "Good Time Charley's Got The Blues" and a version of the original by Jerry Lee Lewis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAsV5-Hv-7U

Lotsa Luv

Bill and Dondra

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Searching For Name Of An Artist

Bill
BJ Thomas sang it,nice quirky song.

The King Of Audio Torture

easybeat wrote:

Bill

'

Easybeat Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! You are CHOICE my friend.

By the way, would you mind giving our friend Pete a holler? I finally got around to getting on Soundcloud, but the ukulele tune wasn't there OR on YT.

Thanks again, Brotha! smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

4 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-09-05 00:56:13)

Hi  Bill my Choice Brotha
Labour Day here in New Zealand commemorates the struggle for an eight-hour working day. New Zealand workers were among the first in the world to claim this right when, in 1840, the carpenter Samuel Parnell won an eight-hour day in Wellington. Labour Day was first celebrated in New Zealand on 28 October 1890,. Labour day always falls on a Monday here and  this  year it is  October 23rd.  Sorry I took down the Ukulele song as on listening to it  I realised they wasn't that good.
Aroha  pronounced  arrow- ha  is the New Zealand for love.
Aroha  to you and Dondra.

5 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2017-09-05 01:06:49)

easybeat wrote:

Bill

Thanks again for helping me out on this one, Easy!

Chords are VERY difficult to play, though. It's a Hal David/Burt Bacharach  tune, if that tells you anything. Oh well, it was a kick hearing it again. Great to hear from the both of you as always. We're in the beginning of a move across town, so if you don't hear from me/us, worry not - we're fine (if a little knackered).

Pete: Very interesting about the NZ Labour Day, my friend. What were the working hours BEFORE they got the 8 hours?

Bill and Dondra

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

6 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-09-05 01:59:20)

I don't know the answer to your question Bill here is a bit of Kiwi working hours history. While New Zealand was  the first country in the world to adopt the eight-hour day, the custom was confined to tradesmen and labourers and lacked legislative sanction. From 1882 onwards, efforts were made to legalise the eight-hour day. Bills were submitted to Parliament and annual demonstrations were held in the main centres. Labour Day, which commemorates the introduction of the eight-hour day, became a public holiday in 1899 (the original date, the second Wednesday in October, was changed in 1910 to the fourth Monday of that month) but the many Eight-hour Bills which were submitted in the 1880s and 1890s failed to gain parliamentary approval. Other enactments, however, have made the eight-hour day all but universal in New Zealand At a meeting in Wellington, Marianne Tasker and supporters established a domestic workers’ union, hoping to use the Liberal government’s Industrial Conciliation and Arbitration Act to force employers to improve pay and conditions. Central to their demands was a 68-hour working week.
From the late 1880s to the 1930s, domestic service was the single largest form of paid employment for women. The ‘domestics’ who worked in more than 15,000 New Zealand homes often endured harsh working conditions: a 16-hour day, 6½ days a week, for low wages. I am not sure what the hours of work people were made to do but it is more less considerd that 40 hours a week is a standard most aim for today.

Pete, I would not have wanted to be a domestic in NZ, GB, or ANYWHERE. for that matter. In Europe work was from sunup to sundown and one didn't dare complain because there were SO MANY others standing in a queue just waiting to take one's place.

Now we have "sweat shops".

Thanks for explaining further and aroha from the both of us to our Kiwi friends.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

8 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-09-05 02:48:47)

Bill
Estimates of the number of  modern day slaves today range from around 21  million to 46 million. Cheap  modern day products made  available  all around the world are often produced in sweat shops using slave labour. Many good jobs have been lost to slave labour. Progress seems to equal more slaves in the world than before.
Aroha to you.Bill and Dondra.
Pete

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Hi and Happy Labor Day to all Murkins everywhere! Does any other country celebrate a Labor Day on this day? I don't know of one.

Hi Bill ...

Here in the "Great White North", we also celebrate Labor Day on the first Monday of September, using the more cumbersome spelling of "Labour Day". lol Apparently, our Canadian roots go back to the 1800's, when some people were jailed for staging a strike, demanding a 9-hour maximum workday. Nowadays, it's just a paid statutory holiday, which many people enjoy as a break between the outgoing summer, and the oncoming Fall season.

Strummerboy Bill .... such a great song  American Pie ........ one I used to sing a lot smile

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan