Topic: The one song

f you could force everyone on this forum to listen to exactly one song, what would that song be, and why? (And it can't be one of your own songs :-))

(I am not giving an answer myself because then it would seem like I started the whole thread just to get people to listen to the song I picked.)

2 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-09-27 09:45:55)

Re: The one song

Welcome to Chordie, Maria!

Great idea for a thread, and I appreciate your approach. I guess my selection for this would be "Thick as a Brick" by Jethro Tull. When my buddies and I first heard it in 1972, we remarked many times that no one had ever done something like this before, and we felt that no one ever would. 45 years later I still feel that way, because it is a unique stand-alone piece in music history. At 43:41 in length, it would be asking a lot of anyone to "force" them to listen, but I don't think they'd complain when it was done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj03RuK1IQ4

3 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-09-27 09:55:37)

That is a hard question to answer. Each bay, has its own wind and to force a song onto someone feels a bit like leading a horse to water and expecting it to drink. On the. basis of exposing someone to a song I would choose Blowin In The Wind  by Bob Dylan.
How many roads must a man walk down
Before you call him a man?
How many seas must a white dove sail
Before she sleeps in the sand?
Yes, and how many times must the cannon balls fly
Before they're forever banned?

The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.

chose one song....now that is truly unfair. imagine being on a desert island for years with only one song to listen to. it wouldn't be you "one song" for long, you'd most likely find it floating away on the ocean...in bits!

i would change my mind daily about one song i'd force chordians to listen to. today might be "englishman in new york" by sting. tomorrow would be "close to the edge" by yes and so on. so short a life so many songs

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

5 (edited by Doug_Smith 2017-09-27 16:47:21)

Wow!!  Good Topic!  Like Phill, I'm sitting here trying to wrap my brain around this question..... and I got "nuthin".??!!?  By song I have to assume that it should(?) include lyrics, but there is so much music in my past that the catalog is incomprehensible..... so for now I will sit back and see what great ideas others can come up with. smile

ETA:  Another hearty Welcome to Chordie from the Coast !!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Good question.i hope you give a reply, after we have.
can`t think of one,but it would have to be a Van Morrison song.
Not that i`m a huge fan,it`s just that he is unique & always interesting.
maybe `here stands the glass`

The King Of Audio Torture

Today it would probably be something by Neil Young. Tomorrow perhaps The Who, the day after it could be James Taylor. Who knows? It depends on the mood at the time. By the way. Welcome to Chordie.

Thick as two short planks

the answer my friend is blowing in the wind...........

i agree with the others ... my greatest hits cd that I made this morning,  would be different by the end of the day

good thought, though virtually impossible to nail down.

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

9 (edited by easybeat 2017-09-29 21:40:44)

Gidday
come on guys,the question isn`t whats your favourite song.
It`s more about what song would you recommend or introduce to someone.
Hopefully one they are not aware of.

The King Of Audio Torture

Good question. Bob Dylan "Make You Feel My LOVE".  Second is Stevie Nicks "Landslide".

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

easybeat wrote:

Gidday
come on guys,the question isn`t whats your favourite song.
It`s more about what song would you recommend or introduce to someone.
Hopefully one they are not aware of.

Ripple

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT8zLTaKxeE

Ohhhhhhhhh to hard to  decide!

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

13 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-10-02 06:41:06)

Maria I just realised this is your first post welcome. This challenge though a tough one got me thinking. Even though there are many songs out there I love. I thought if I had to pick one  it would be to show case New Zealand talent. We have a band here called Split Enz who are pioneers in NZ music.  .Annie Crummer  is a New Zealand pop singer and songwriter who has seen success in both a solo career and as part of various musical groups. I rate her as one of our best live vocalist. Put Annie together with a Split Enz song and you get a top preformance. Attached is her doing her magic with  their song Hope I Never..    Maria I would love to hear your choice of a song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmRdJhiDleA

Wow I saw a vid of the Split En it

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Wow I saw a vid of the Split Enz back in the mid 80s. They were cool.  Had no idea they still were together.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

16 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-10-02 06:40:19)

Beamer I should have mentioned apart from a few reunion tour"s Split Enz split up as group years ago.