1 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-10-06 10:42:52)

Topic: What are your childhood music memories.

My father and grandparents from his side were English and  loved to sing at parties. My fathers parents when I was a child also  taught me old songs from the era of English music halls. My mother is Fijian loves to sing and dance. She use to play a bit of ukulele also. My childhood is full of memories around singing and dancing. My fondest  childhood memories of my time in Fiji are of music and dancing.When I came back to New Zealand as a kid I could sing in english better than I could speak it. Though with all that music in my childhood I was never able to sing or play  real good. Most of my childhood was spent here in New Zealand but both my parents differant tastes in music influenced me. We also had huge collection of records at home when I was growing up. On my mother side most my relatives are musical. Elvis was most probably the one that started my interest into Rock music. Then the Beatles and the Rolling Stones grabed my interest and it spread from there. Here is a video which I think explains Fijians relationship with music and dance.
I would be interested to know what other Chordie growing up music influences are.
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCstiKicwT4

Re: What are your childhood music memories.

Great topic idea, Peatle!

We had one of those cabinet-style Hi-Fi record players in the living room, and I can remember Mom playing things like The Tijuana Brass, Miles Davis, Petula Clarke, etc. She mostly liked light jazz. Dad had a little Gretsch "Jim Dandy" flattop, and he'd strum chords and sing songs like "Four String Winds", and lots of Gordon Lightfoot. That was the guitar I began strumming at about 8 yrs old. I remember he was very good with a mouth organ, and could really kick it up when he got going.

The first 3 albums I bought were in 1970. I had my first part-time job, so now I could buy what I wanted:
   - Alice Cooper's "Pretties for You"
   - Jethro Tull's "Stand Up"
   - Led Zeppelin's "Led Zeppelin II"
I just about drove Mom nuts with "Whole Lotta Love", and the poor Hi-Fi didn't stand up well to the volume levels I pushed it to. I remember laying on the floor in front of the H-Fi, and being fascinated by Jimmy Page's pick slides that went back and forth between the stereo speakers. Dad kept trying to convert me to country music, but I wanted something different (like most young teens) and never went in that direction.

Many, mostly involving my mother.

My eldest sister played piano and practiced faithfully ... right during Batman. We were allowed 1/2 hour of TV per day, and I picked Batman, which aired right after school. Just as soon as the episode would start, my sister would begin to practice her piano for 1/2 hour. This resulted in quite a few fights. I determined to fight fire with fire once I hit the fourth grade when I started to play trumpet, and I would practice trumpet in the same room as soon as she started to practice piano. She would then go complain to my mother, who responded, "Who taught him that, dear?" I was finally able to watch Batman in peace.

My second eldest sister played guitar, mountain dulcimer, and banjo. She loved to play the old folk songs and sing them, but my favorite of hers was her rendition of John Prine's "You Can't Rollerskate In a Buffalo Herd."  She had a grand maul siezure some years ago and it damaged the musical part of her brain, so now she doesn't play anymore.

My elder brother played the radio, but he gave guitar a fair shake. It just wasn't his thing.

When I started to learn trombone, I learned that my father had been a trombone player in his high school and his regiment's band in the Army. That was cool.

I distinctly remember coming home one day from school to the utter amazement that my mother was sitting at the piano - playing and singing some hymns from memory. I had no idea my mother could play the piano. I was probably 14 or so years old then. She sang all the time. Everything. Radio jingles, Hank Williams songs, hymns, anything.  She sang at bedtime, usually "The Garden"  ...I walk through the garden alone, with the dew still on the roses....  Years later, my neighbor at work and I were working late, and Mac started to play some Patsy Cline. That song came on and I was suddenly an eight year crying over skinned knees being comforted by his mother in his bed by that song. It was so like my mother's voice.

Mother only liked Country music. That was a declaration. Therefore, any music she liked was Country.  Some Country albums my mother liked: "Rust Never Sleeps" by Neil Young and Crazy Horse, "Innagaddadavida" by Iron Butterfly, "Tapestry" by Carol King, "Green River" by Creedence Clearwater Revival, "Summer Breeze" by Seals & Croft, "Swan Lake" by Tschaikovsky and just about everything by Jim Croce and James Taylor. Of course she liked music most of us would recognize as Country as well: Waylon & Willie, Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, Crystal Gayle, John Anderson, The Hagg, Little Willie Dixon, Porter Wagoner, Eddie Arnold, etc.'

I have been told that Eddie Arnold was a cousin. My Gram was widowed when my mother was 14 and Uncle Gene was 16. So she had to finish raising those kids on her own in the depression. She was a teacher, so had summers free.  She'd take in other kids over the summer and raise them as her own. Two of those young men grew up to be the Statler Brothers. So my mother - literally - grew up with country legends. Eddie Arnold as a second cousin or some such ("kin" in Appalachian Pennsylvania covered anything from brother or mother to third cousin twice removed) and the Statler Brothers in her house. Gram had commentary on everyone from Elvis (he ruined his life when he gave up Gospel music) to Roy Clark (there never was an instrument he couldn't play better than anyone else) to Grandpa Jones (his pipe tobacco smelled awful) - and had met them all.  I met none of them. But I think it's cool that decades later I met Roscoe Jones who knew a lot of the same people as my Gram.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

My father knew how to play Organ. He had a big Estey with the Leslie speaker. A cousin of mine ( Tony Zano ) was extremely well known  pianist in the hard core jazz circuit.  I could never get into his style of jazz.  His first 2 albums The Gathering Place and Everything Swings were in the house. I tried listening. Couldn`t sit through it. I tried Violin and Saxophone in school. That was a disaster. Finally I went out and bought a guitar. Everyone thought it would be like the other instruments. I proved them wrong.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

5 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-10-14 00:14:32)

TF and Joey , Zurf, interesting memories you guys have thank you for sharing them..My mother  was into Herb Albert and people like Frank Sinatra plus Elvis and also  South Pacific Island music and classical.  Mum suprised me when she  heard Jethro Tulls Living In The Past and ended buying the 45rpm  of it. My Dad died back 1967  he  was open to all styles of music his record collection was huge and covered all styles. He would buy most of his records of Seaman friends whose ships had been to ports that  sold records that we couldnt get here.. When it came to singing and playing songs with  his friends it was  mostly  skiffle music. My mum when she played her ukulele would mainly sing songs in  Fijian and other South Pacific languages. Every now and then she would sing songs like Red Sails In The Sunset.

6 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2017-10-07 02:06:44)

Post-WWII Germany; The early 1950's, I was a young lad barely able to speak English, but my American soldier dad brought me a German-English dictionary one day and told me, "One day soon, you, your Mom and me will be taking a long trip to America. You need to learn the language, so here ya go, Champ.", and he handed me the book.

That's how I learned English. It was also how I learned to understand music by listening to The Grand Ole Opry over American Forces Radio. Listening, and not knowing any better, one day Hank Williams sang one of his hits over the radio, and I, not knowing about recordings, I marvelled at the way Hank and all the other stars of the show could sing their hits precisely the same way every time!!! smile

Of course the stars also spoke with  the host of the show, so I followed along and practiced my English by the words they were saying. It was tough going for a while (such as the words "live" spelled the same, but pronounced differently sometimes).

So I guess you could say Hank Williams taught me how to speak English! smile

Bill

PS: My compliments on the topic as well, Pete!

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

7 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-10-07 08:42:15)

Danke schön   Bill God bless Hank Williams.

As I started to notice what I liked and didn't,  it starts with My Father and his vast Classical collection, of which I didn't really appreciate, However I did like watching  the BOSTON POPs which was an event in our house for dad.  I remember that it was the fun of watching Author Fiedler and the back stage  interviews with him,, what a crotchety SOB but he was humorous in the same package.  Mom never  showed much to us till later and it was her love of FRANK, The chairman of the board.    He was cool and all but still, not kicking it.  then Happy Days came along, and Dad pulls out his one rock record.  BILL HALEY AND THE COMMITS......Rock Rock Rock,,, then i moved on. Yet, I also learned about Broadway and how great that is.
I have two older brother, so on one side I had a brother who was into the disco and soul music,  then my other brother started bringing home Zeppelin, Kansas,  Boston, andStyx.  and then Somewhere I found KISS and then The Who and so on.  The rest  is metalizer music and that chunk chunk of the 80s till I die.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

9 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-10-09 08:19:16)

Beamer Arthur Fiedler was  responsible for making my Fathers parents realise  that the Beatles were good at what they did. For the first two decades of Queen Elizabeth’s reign, New Zealanders stood for God Save The Queen. at the start of every movie session. We have two official  National Anthems one is God Defend New Zealand and the other is God Save The Queen. This God Save The Queen anthem was a problem for me as my Mum a royalist loved it and my father an anti royalist despised it. .The problem for me as a kid was  I didnt like going to movies with my father because when they played God Save The Queen at the beginning of a movie my Dad would make us stay seated. This quiet often ended up with my  father getting into fights and arguments with people telling us to stand up. He got us kicked out of a few movie theatres.  In the end I would only go to the movies with my Mother and stand up like everyone else.

Thanks for an interesting topic!!

I can't remember when my Dad bought the stereo, which replaced our (family) reel to reel deck, but I do remember it had a record player - we had a modest record collection, a lot of classical selections, some Rick Wakeman, some Sky, the pan flutes of George Zamfir, amongst others - then Dad left and took all those with him, meanwhile my sister got a cassette recorder and started collecting more contemporary artists (ABBA, Hits of (insert year)) which I started listening to ... it wasn't until we moved house that I inherited the record player (and some of the records) and started my paper round that I started listening to other (Rock!) music. Then I discovered all these secret albums I'd never heard before (Deep Purple, Led Zepplin, etc) at some dingy place long ago.

My parents didn't play music at home much - my Dad has a couple of mandolins, but only knows one or two tunes (owns them more for their aesthetic value), Mum took up the Omnichord later in life, and was in a couple of choirs for her local church. I bought myself an electric guitar at 19 but didn't really take it up for another couple of years after that ... then met some people and started to play, and haven't really stopped since then ...

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, singer ]-
Bandcamp     https://richardmortimer.bandcamp.com/follow_me
Discogs          https://www.discogs.com/release/29065579
YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/@RichardMortimerMusic

I can remember when my Dad  bought our first stereo when I was small. As far as I know I am the only guitarist and classical guitarist in our family. My first real classical lesson was when I was 15. The older I get the more I practice so I will not loose what I have worked years to learn.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

I would just like to tell you how much I respect you for putting yourself through all of that training, CG.

I have been listening to a lot JS Bach guitar lately, my friend and within what must have been a competition, one of the famous  guitarists who must have had to p,lay this "Simple Melody" was featured on the program., and although the music was  easily played by other instruments one could hear within the chord changes how demonically difficult it must have been!

Perhaps, you know of the piece and could link us to it?

Thanks also for the story! We  have that in common, I think. smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

My earliest memories are of my dad singing "Irene Goodnight" every evening to put me to sleep in the early 50's. He was a country fan and listened to Hank Snow, Web Pierce, Red Foley, etc although his favorite seemed to be Ferlin Husky. My mother was a big-band fan and she would dance around the kitchen whistling tunes from  bands like Tommy Dorsey, Artie Shaw and Glen Miller.  My brother (10 years older than me) tuned in WLAC radio in the evening and I heard Chuck Berry, BB King, Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf and other R&B acts. No one in my family played an instrument.

When I entered junior high school I was asked if I was interested in playing in the marching band.  My family was too poor to buy a horn but the school provided drums for free so I became a drummer. By the time I entered high school I was good enough to be the "first chair" drummer which probably irked the other 6 upper classmen in the percussion section. The band director wanted me to play in the jazz and stage bands and had connections with a local music store which allowed my parents to make low monthly payments for a Ludwig trap set. While in high school I was picked for the "all-county" band, played in the marching band, jazz band, a dixieland band and to my mother's great satisfaction I played drums for two years in a 17-piece big-band.  I also was asked to teach rudimental drumming to junior high school kids and had 14 students at various times.

Like most kids in the 60's I also played in rock bands for a couple years, but in the summer between graduation and my freshman year in college I went to a country/bluegrass festival and fell in love with bluegrass music, sold my drums and never picked up a stick again.  About 5 years later I was given an old guitar by a friend, learned a few chords and have been attempting to "mash them wires" ever since.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Interesting stories, most I haven't heard, some I've heard tidbits of here and there.  big_smile  Good topic!

I'm pretty sure I've told most of this before somewhere on these boards, but I'll bite again.  wink  My Dad took guitar lessons when he was young, and I grew up with him being "the guy" at campfires playing and singing tunes.  He was a train Engineer on the railroad so was gone a lot, but when he was laid off and home for periods of time, we'd sit together and he'd practice guitar and teach me how to sing, to hold out a note, add a little vibrato, to properly end a word that ended with a consonant (he had lots of choir practice in his youth).  I got rudimentary lessons in reading music, or at least watching for the chord changes and words to know when to turn the pages for him in his music books.  I sang along.  He played a lot of the songs from the 60's and 70's, and some folk tunes, but always put his own spin on them.  I grew up knowing Dad's version of songs, not the radio versions, and it's only been the past few years that I've ever even bothered to listen to the originals to really begin to understand my Dad's taste in music (and why some people don't know "these great songs" - lots were really dull recordings, but not the way Dad played and sang 'em).

He tried to talk me into learning guitar as a kid, I just wanted to sing though.  I was required to learn an instrument in grade school and picked up the B-flat clarinet.  That's where I learned to read the treble clef.  Then I quit playing after a few years and just sang and sang, took voice lessons for a bit (learning Italian Arias, really odd musical numbers, and old Latin religious songs as well as participating in vocal competitions), made it to All County as well as All State choir.  My parents said I wouldn't make money in music and encouraged me NOT to follow my dreams and go to a music college - Willie said so, I needed to be a doctor or lawyer or something.  Long story short, I didn't end up going to any college but finally picked up the guitar a few years ago.

My Grandma was a big fat lady, she was always playing her 8-tracks - Elvis, Dolly, Willie.  My other Grandma played the organ (typical church music and songs from the 20's-40's) and gave it to me at one point, but I never learned to do more than plunk out notes.  She taught me where they were by writing on the keys in pencil. 

I wish I'd have taken music theory in high school, but there just wasn't time with Girls Choir, Jazz Choir, regular Choir, voice lessons, and boys.  wink  Maybe someday I'll bother to learn more, but for now I'm just happy strumming a few chords to sing with.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

my sister was a couple of years older than me (and still is, oddly enough) and after our bath, her first me after, my mother would put my basket chair on the living room table and sit me down while she dried me off and all the time singing nursery rhymes or pop songs of the day. I'm talking about the early 1950's. another memory was going across to the Gower coast and the first one to see the sea had to sing "I see the sea, the sea sees me under the shade of the old oak tree" etc. on the way home it was usually "I love to go a-wondering along the mountain track...." ah, the good old days

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

16 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-10-14 01:38:32)

Mekidsmom  growing up  mainly  in New Zealand  I was  taught railway songs most of them American folk classics such as ‘I’ve been working on the railroad’, ‘This train (is bound for glory)’ or ‘The Wabash cannonball’. The one New Zealand railway folk songs  I remember as a kid is ‘Taumarunui On The Main Trunk Line, a tale of unrequited love between ‘an ordinary joker’ and a ‘sheila’ who works behind the counter at the town’s famous railway refreshment room:  I'm an ordinary joker, growin' old before me time,'Cause me heart's in Taumarunui on the Main Trunk Line.

Neo here in NZ as a kid one of the Ozzy songs we had to learn was Waltzing Matilda.
Classical Guitar my first real encounter with classical guitar was most probably my Dads collection of flaminco recordings and wondering how it was possible to play like that.
Watching and listening to Manitas de Plata   on Television had me transfixed.
Most of the music on the radio here when I was young was from overseas. Though the odd Kiwi song would slip in such as Down The Hall On Saturday Night with true Kiwi lyrics  such as.
I got a new pair of grey strides, I got a real Kiwi haircut,A bit off the top, an' short back and sides.
Soon as I've tied up me guri, Soon as I've swept out the yard, Soon as I've hosed down me gumboots, I'll be living it high and hitting it hard.

Phill and DE the songs I remember singing with my Dad as a kid  were mostly skiffle songs such as My Old Mans A Dustman.

Oh, my old man's a dustman
He wears a dustman's hat,
He wears cor blimey trousers
And he lives in a council flat

Most of the songs I sang with my Mum were in Fijian so I wont leave any lyrics.

With my fathers parents I learnt old British Musi hall songs  with lyrics such as these

Come, come, come and make eyes at me
down at the old bull and bush
Come, come, drink some
port wine with me
down at the
old bull and bush

Another  lyric I remember my Grandparents taught me

Pack Up Your Troubles in Your Old Kit-Bag, and Smile, Smile, Smile

17 (edited by Phill Williams 2017-10-14 13:03:08)

Peatle, if you see a dustman....looking all pale and sad. Don't kick him in the dustbin cos it might be my old dad.

Love that song Lonnie Donegan.

Edited to correct spell check

18 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-10-14 09:39:14)

Good one Phill  here is a question for you.
Oh me, oh my, oh you
Whatever shall I do?
Hallelujah
The question is peculiar
I'd give a lot of dough
If only I could know
The answer to my question
Is it yes or is it no
Does your chewing gum lose its flavour
On the bedpost overnight?
If your mother says, don't chew it
Do you swallow it in spite?
Can you catch it on your tonsils?
Can you heave it left and right?
Does your chewing gum lose its flavour
On the bedpost overnight?

Bring back Lonnie Song again.

Chewing gum gets on my nerves after a couple of minutes so I stick it under a table lol

If you could see what I can see when I'm cleaning Windows. Fornby brill or what?

Excellent Phill while your cleaning windows I will be close by on the nearest footpath.
I'm leaning on a lamp, maybe you think, I look a tramp,
Or you may think I'm hanging 'round to steal a motor-car.
But no I'm not a crook, And if you think, that's what I look,
I'll tell you why I'm here, And what my motives are.
I'm leaning on a lamp-post at the corner of the street,
In case a certain little lady comes by.