Topic: Using Carnauba (Car) Wax To Polish.......

....... your guitar? Have you ever done it? Is there a "trick" to doing it correctly?

A couple of years ago, I had my Rogue Beatle Bass changed from round to flat wound strings and, as part of the service, the luthier polished the finish with carnauba wax  (I knew right away it was for cars because of the picture on the container and from the way my  pulse began to race as I watched him squirt the stuff on my "baby".

"You, uh.....you uh, uh...... er.... um"

Finally he looked up, winked and said, "Relax, Bill. I know I'm using car wax."

Which I guess is luthier-speak for, "I know what I'm doing, so why don't you just go look at all the pretty guitars and drums, my friend and let me do what you're paying me for?"

So that's what I did and because I did, I missed  some of the more salient points of polishing a guitar with carnauba wax.

Can anyone help me with this? Maybe some of y'all might use it on your pate? I just really don't want to  mess up my pretty bass.

Thanks, Mates!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

2 (edited by beamer 2017-12-07 14:09:10)

Re: Using Carnauba (Car) Wax To Polish.......

Bill as long as the finish is not a natural finish, car wax is very good. guitars have enamels or urethane,  so the car wax is great and last longer, shines brighter.  This is a picture of my TAK after using my detailing one step (light correction, polish and sealant- A polymer wax directive) Product.  sorry its so big that's how it is saved on FB. but you really see how great the auto line can be.  At home I suggest a nice product like Surf City Garage hand mixed liquid caranuba wax,   (its easier to work with  than paste wax.  just tape off your wood.  I tape the bridge off flat around it and then lemon oil it, then put the tape on its knife edge around the bridge and the frets and use my car stuff.  I have a 3" buffer  but by hand with a nice microfiber applicator and nice towels to remove will be great also.
https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22815233_10215240541026113_6894803404945968601_n.jpg?oh=43fa5b982fedcedb6b0c8154559385ab&oe=5A901386

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Carnuba is one of the natural waxes that used to be found in good ol' Johnsons paste Wax (for those of you that used to do a lot of woodworking).... also popular for hardwood flooring (you can slide a mile in your socks!!).  Anyway I digress, one of the more common "hard Waxes" in a lot of high grade auto waxes as well.  But it should be noted that many car products also contain ultra fine polishing abrasives to remove surface scratches which might not be a good thing for those really thin "French Polish" guitar coatings.  But if you know that there is plenty of film thickness to wear away at (as modern urethanes are), I can see no problem either and am in total agreement with the Metalizer.  I used to get some 100% Carnuba liquid from my Pro Car Care Distributor, that was outstanding.  But it did have a fair amount of solvent to make it thin and easy to apply.  Also added a little bit of a yellow color to the finish, but the trick with hard waxes is thin coats and start buffing before it has a chance to fully dry, or it can be a lot of work to achieve a smooth glass-like finish.    Any streaking will leave a texture like fingerprints which takes a buffer or much hand polishing to smooth out.  Durable and long lasting, unless you are in the habit of running your guitar through machine car washes, or leave it out in the hot Arizona sun, or maybe strap it to your grille and run down the freeway at 65mph every day for six months.... then you might have to reapply more often than every couple of years. big_smile

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I usually use "Mr Sheen" every time I change my strings (around 6 months, but I think the current set are about 2 years old, 'cause I've been slack), but every now and then I'll use the PRS polish (on electrics, my acoustic is a matt finish):

http://www.mr-sheen.co.uk/products.php

https://www.amazon.com/PRS-PS-ACC-3130- … B004XLH3PW

Not sure if it's the same as wax, but the PRS stuff is pretty good (and usually add lemon oil on the fretboard, depending how dry it feels)

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, singer ]-
Bandcamp     https://richardmortimer.bandcamp.com/follow_me
Discogs          https://www.discogs.com/release/29065579
YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/@RichardMortimerMusic

Doug_Smith wrote:

But it should be noted that many car products also contain ultra fine polishing abrasives to remove surface scratches

This is where you HAVE TO READ THE  PRODUCT LABEL.  smile   What you are referring to is a "Cleaning Wax"  Pure Caranuba does not contain the silica's which provide the abrasives.  As I mentioned I use Sealants that are a combination of Natural waxes and Polymers.  A wax many don't know about is called Monton.  It's deep mined and has a higher resistance than caranuba.  One of my favorite products i s made this way. it is called POXY by HD car care (amazon sells it.)  and if you do have a bit of pick scratching  and what not , their product called SPEED cleans up the surface very nice.   If all you are doing is by hand, even with a thin french coat, you would have to really work the _____ out of it to do damage.  Most damage is due to improper use of a buffer.  The pictured guitar has a product called KNOCKOUT by Greenways  car care. it is a Polymer based sealant.  (As a note, Meguiars yellow wax is a real pain to remove, so stay away from it)

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

Waxes in general can leave a bit of a film, but probably not enough to cause a deadening effect on tone. On an acoustic with no finish, it would dampen the resonance in a big way. I personally prefer Armour-All. It's much lighter / thinner, and also water-based so it can't damage any type of guitar finish. It's terrific stuff to speed up a finished neck also!

Armor All contains Silicone wax, which is great for plastics and vinyl, but never put it on your motorcycle seat (!) or under hard braking you might just wind up sitting on the fuel cap.  Another in that family of spray on products is this stuff called Protect- All... if you can find it, contains Carnuba and Monton waxes and an additional UV Inhibitor (without polishing abrasives).  Usually available from RV and Marine supply stores.  Pump spray, aerosol can, and in bottles, easy to apply and easy to buff by hand with long lasting protection for almost any surface including wood, leather, fiberglass, rubber, chrome, vinyl and paint.  I've used that as well on guitars with good results and almost as easy as that old favorite (gasp!!) Pledge.  Please don't laugh (I did), when it was recommended by a guitar salesperson at a "big box" retailer..... it's better than nothing. big_smile

Doug_Smith wrote:

Armor All contains Silicone wax, which is great for plastics and vinyl, but never put it on your motorcycle seat (!) or under hard braking you might just wind up sitting on the fuel cap.  Another in that family of spray on products is this stuff called Protect- All... if you can find it, contains Carnuba and Monton waxes and an additional UV Inhibitor (without polishing abrasives).  Usually available from RV and Marine supply stores.  Pump spray, aerosol can, and in bottles, easy to apply and easy to buff by hand with long lasting protection for almost any surface including wood, leather, fiberglass, rubber, chrome, vinyl and paint.  I've used that as well on guitars with good results and almost as easy as that old favorite (gasp!!) Pledge.  Please don't laugh (I did), when it was recommended by a guitar salesperson at a "big box" retailer..... it's better than nothing. big_smile

Doug you just said the 2 most dirty words a detailer has to hear.  Armor All .   Please cease and desist from any usage of that vile substance.  No matter what is listed in it, it will degrade all surfaces its put on, and it will crack  them over time.   it is a royal pain in the ( ! ) to remove and clean off to properly condition leather and  vinyl.   just cause its shiny dont make it good.

The Pledge is not a bad suggestion for guitars, just don't get it on the fret board.  You can use Old English,  its lemon and mineral oil.  both of which are fine for fret boards.

Sorry but the detailer in me could not hold back any longer.

I use Car Wax on one of my guitars regularly. Being an old car guy, my go to products are typically from Meguiars.

Of course, that guitar is my CA - completely made out of Carbon Fiber.

I bet beamer could put a real nice polish on that one - next time he makes it to chordiestock!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Beamer Buddy !!  I did not utter those words in way of recommendation..... I know exactly what you mean.  I had a recall on some Motorhomes with bad film graphics that we needed to replace with paint, and an owner who had mopped Armor-All over the entire coach annually (so his tapes wouldn't fade).  You can guess the rest I'm sure..... everything had to be stripped of all graphics, sanded, solvent washed (several times), soap and steam cleaned, then fully sealed and reprimed.  There wasn't enough fish-eye-eliminator to get anything but HP100 to stick to the prepped surface, then all the rest could be redone.  The replacement film graphics cost about $125 plus labor & prep...... The full repaint almost $30K !!!

Lesson Learned.  big_smile

topdown wrote:

I use Car Wax on one of my guitars regularly. Being an old car guy, my go to products are typically from Meguiars.

I bet beamer could put a real nice polish on that one - next time he makes it to chordiestock!

would love to, and when I do make it I am bringing  My polisher  since now I have enough backups that i dont have to worry about a broken one.

Doug_Smith wrote:

Beamer Buddy !!  I did not utter those words in way of recommendation..... I know exactly what you mean.  I had a recall on some Motorhomes with bad film graphics that we needed to replace with paint, and an owner who had mopped Armor-All over the entire coach annually (so his tapes wouldn't fade).  You can guess the rest I'm sure..... everything had to be stripped of all graphics, sanded, solvent washed (several times), soap and steam cleaned, then fully sealed and reprimed.  There wasn't enough fish-eye-eliminator to get anything but HP100 to stick to the prepped surface, then all the rest could be redone.  The replacement film graphics cost about $125 plus labor & prep...... The full repaint almost $30K !!!

Lesson Learned.  big_smile

I doubt he learned. probably blamed the decal company and bad mouthed you.  Some ppl just dont want to listen to truth OR that the "back in the day" method has taken a light year leap of technique and products.  smile

I actually have some experience on this. On a satin finish or a finish in rough shape (Gibson LG 2), I use Pledge. I had a luthier tell me that the only difference between Pledge and the guitar polishes is the lemony smell. On a painted electric or an acoustic that is perfectly smooth, I use old fashioned Johnsons Paste Wax.  A lot of work but it is a small area so it isn`t that bad. Just a lot of buffing. Dont put it on the bottom if you play sitting down. It will become too slippery. I would never use Armor All. I do use it on my FJ with no padding inside. I won`t use it on my Falcon. I definitely wouldn`t use it on my guitars.  A lot depends on which guitar I am cleaning.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

beamer wrote:
topdown wrote:

would love to, and when I do make it I am bringing  My polisher  since now I have enough backups that i dont have to worry about a broken one.

Well this is certainly timely bringing up this thread smile . No worries Beamer, I won't put you to work this year, but my truck sure could use it!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I only know about Classical guitars and many  guitar builders and Luthiers suggest using Fenders Spray Wax on the body of the guitar (not on fret board) and use a micro fiber cloth. I use it when I change strings. When guitars are built they do not have strings on them until at the end, so usually I remove all strings, do my polish and cleaning, and then restring. It take almost a week for classical strings to stop stretching. I tune the strings 2  or 3 times a day and do not play them until they stop stretching.

Steel strings settle in must faster. That is a plus for steel steel strings guitars.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

I should drive down if Beamer is coming!

As for my guitar, I just use a decent cleaner (my favorite so far is a thin cream finish from Martin) and wide it down.  On an acoustic anyway, I'd think that something like wax would have an impact on the resonance of the wood. Maybe not. I could just be paranoid. Or lazy. Probably the latter.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

17 (edited by anwarehatela556 2018-03-19 22:19:31)

I only know about a metal guitar I loved to play the guitar some time I also listen to classical guitar and play my friend play rocking.Thanks for discussing.

18 (edited by PJUK 2019-02-18 12:38:42)

You polish your guitars? Wow.     smile

I was told by a luthier that both furniture and car polish are an absolute 'no-no' for a guitar. They build up a coating and ruin the resonance of the instrument. The best way is to wipe down well with something we all have in our bathroom, a wet wipe, to remove dirt and marks and then finish off with a clean lint free cloth.

Roger     

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

20 (edited by Classical Guitar 2019-02-20 12:24:47)

This is from Fender and is safe fore all finishes including micro finishes on classical guitar.  https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Guitar-Polish.gc

I use the PRS equivalent: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail … tar-polish

Better? Worse? Probably made in the same factory ... wink     

Neo I do not think it is the same. The  Fender Polish is not combustible and the polish you are using is marked  as Combustible which means it is not made in the same factory. By the way finder also sells a microfiber cloth for their polish. The polish you listed most likely has linseed oil  if it is supposed to be mixed before it is used.     

Classical Guitar wrote:

Neo I do not think it is the same. The  Fender Polish is not combustible and the polish you are using is marked  as Combustible which means it is not made in the same factory. By the way finder also sells a microfiber cloth for their polish. The polish you listed most likely has linseed oil  if it is supposed to be mixed before it is used.

True - I didn't notice that ... I'll have to have a look on the bottle to see what it consists of; I bought it from the John Mann shop to increase my purchase to get free postage (if I remember correctly), as postage to Australia from the USA seems to have grown dramatically over the last few years ....     

24 (edited by beamer 2019-02-21 19:14:46)

I SEE A BIG PROBLEM HERE.  EDUCATION.

AND THE PROBLEM IS.....

"A WAX IS A WAX (think apple) A POLISH IS A POLISH (think orange)

Polish = super fine  abrasive to remove micro scratching and provide a smooth finish.

Wax = a seal that protects the surface underneath and enhances gloss.

Polishing wax = a wax with micro  abrasive added to it to make a type of one-step product.

IMHO  if you are using so much wax that it has built up enough to hamper any sound resonance,, You probably should not be touching the stuff.  A little bit goes a long way.  Before re-coating a finish, you need to lightly remove the existing old wax or sealant with a super fine compound or polish, then re-apply.

5 years doing this to painted surfaces,, drop mic.     big_smile

But do you use polish or wax?