Topic: The Song "Danny Boy"......

........ used to be played in the 60's by my band "The Watchmen", but because I was only 15 at the time and it was an easy drum song, I never listened to the words, just sat there, drank my beer with one hand and a slow beat with the other. (When did you start drinking?  ;') )

But back to the lyrics: HOLY MOLY! I can't print them here so I will link you to wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Boy   (scroll down a little).

I read up on the tune later on and now know it was once called "Londonderry Air" and the words to fit the melody were written later, but man, is that song "dark" or what????

I dabbled around with that kind of song not too long ago, but nobody thought too much of it, including ME!:)

But "Danny Boy" has mine beat by a country mile!! smile

There are other "dark" songs, I know, and Russell's band has played the one about the water wanting to pull this guy's girl down below, and then there's "St. James Infirmary" (I'll let you look that one up) which also deals with this theme.

"DB" always filled our tip jar on St. Paddies Day. I just never realized the reason all those guys came up to the band stand to request it  Another one was "Irene Goodnight". My 15 year old self didn't question why those guys were blubbering and it wasn't until my college days that I found the  reason.

Question: Is "Waltzing Matilda" considered a sad tune?

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: The Song "Danny Boy"......

Waltzing Matilda is a sad song for sure, and about as anti-war as one might come across. Another anti-war song in that vein is Christmas in the Trenches by John McCutcheon. I started to learn it because it is a challenge song to learn a new run-down technique in which every 1 and 3 beat is another bass step lower, but the message of the song is so sad that I can't make my way through singing it without getting weepy and my voice catching.

Goodnight Irene is one of those songs that so many people have contributed new verses to it, that I can't say that I know what the original was like? Is that a Woody Guthrie song, or did he "collect" it from an older traditional?  Anyway, a verse that I heard added by the same John McCutcheon as the paragraph above (no idea whether he wrote it) is:

Sometimes she sleeps in pajamas
Sometimes she sleeps in a gown.
The night Irene does the laundry,
she is the talk of the town.

Topdown liked that verse so well that he adds it whenever he sings that song now, too.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

OMG ZURF

THAT is hysterical   Great Lyric!

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

4 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-12-26 21:01:25)

When I listen to songs I never really hear the lyric content until someone explains them or I read them.  For most probably all my Sixty Three years I have heard Danny Boy been sung by friends and family this is the first time I knew what the lyrics are about.
Bill there are two Waltzing Matilda Songs. The Aussie Folk Song
Waltzing Matilda is Australia's best-known bush ballad, and has been described as the country's "unofficial national anthem".
The title was Australian slang for travelling on foot (waltzing, derived from the German auf der Walz) with one's belongings in a "matilda" (swag) slung over one's back. The song narrates the story of an itinerant worker, or "swagman", making a drink of billy tea at a bush camp and capturing a stray jumbuck (sheep) to eat. When the jumbuck's owner, a squatter (wealthy landowner), and three mounted policemen pursue the swagman for theft, he declares "You'll never take me alive!" and commits suicide by drowning himself in a nearby billabong (watering hole), after which his ghost haunts the site.
The figure of the "jolly swagman", represented most famously in Banjo Paterson's bush poem "Waltzing Matilda", became a folk hero in 19th-century Australia, and is still seen today as a symbol of anti-authoritarian values that Australians considered to be part of the national character.
A swagman (also called a swaggie, sundowner or tussocker) was a transient labourer who travelled by foot from farm to farm carrying his belongings in a Swag (bedroll). The term originated in Australia in the 19th-century and was later used in New Zealand.

The Band Sang Waltzing Matilda  is the other Waltzing Matilda song.

And  the Band Played Waltzing Matilda is a song written by Scottish-born Australian singer-songwriter Eric Bogle in 1971. Many cover versions of the song have been performed and recorded  in differant counteries around the world.
This the  other Waltzing Matilda Song  is an account of the memories of an old Australian man who, as a youngster had travelled across rural Australia with a swag (the so-called Matilda of the title) and tent. In 1915 he had been recruited into the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps and sent to Gallipoli. For ten weary weeks, he kept himself alive as around [him] the corpses piled higher. He recalls that terrible day ... in the hell that they called Suvla Bay [they] were butchered like lambs at the slaughter ... in that mad world of blood, death and fire. He is hit by a shell and awakens in hospital to learn that he has lost both his legs.
When the ship carrying the young soldiers departs from Australia the band plays Waltzing Matilda while crowds wave flags and cheer. When the crippled narrator returns and the legless, the armless, the blind, the insane are carried down the gangway to the same popular music, the people watch in silence and turn their faces away.
I will let the song tell the story below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZqN1glz4JY

5 (edited by easybeat 2017-12-27 00:58:03)

Danny Boy,probably the greatest song of all.
The song always brings out the best in an artist.
It has more feel that a pair of gloves.
And more soul than a pair of shoes.

The King Of Audio Torture

and I alays thought Waltzing Matilda was a bout some crazy lady that danced every dance at weddings ! smile

Danny Boy played with bagpipes - makes me cry every time!!

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

7 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-12-27 06:12:44)

Back in the 1960's the Vienna Boys' Choir came to our city Wellington here in New Zealand. We school kids from around our city got to go and hear them in concert. They did a wonderful show it was a privilege for me  to  have experienced their brilliant voices. As a thank you to us here in New Zealand they sang Vole Sing Matilda which we appreciated  even though it is not a New Zealand song. The fact they took the time to learn Waltzing Matilda and sing to us beautifully in their accents is still  a  treasured memory of my childhood.
For years this  song Bohemian Rhapsody   I always thought Queen were singing Miss Miller instead of Bismillah.
Easy come easy go - will you let me go
Bismillah! No! We will not let you go - let
him go
Bismillah! We will not let you go - let him
go
Bismillah! We will not let you go - let me
go

And still no one knows for sure the meaning of Bohemian rhapsody. My own thoughts on the subject are that Freddy as we know was gay and after a particularly bizarre and flagrant life style knew he had something wrong from the early 70s.  It was AIDS of course, with no cure at  the time. And "pulled my trigger now he's dead"! And that fact I think haunted him till he brought it out well veiled in this song.

Danny Boy is a song I'm asked quite often to perform but I only do the first verse and chorus. As usual with me, I couldn't be bothered to learn the rest. I always thought Goodnight Irene was an Irish folk song?

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

9 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-12-27 13:11:35)

"Danny Boy" is one of those songs that we with bass voices can only listen to ... everything above a "D" (Eb on a good day) is out of my vocal range. (*sigh*)

Peatle Jville wrote:

When I listen to songs I never really hear the lyric content until someone explains them or I read them.  For most probably all my Sixty Three years I have heard Danny Boy been sung by friends and family this is the first time I knew what the lyrics are about.
Bill there are two Waltzing Matilda Songs. The Aussie Folk Song
Waltzing Matilda is Australia's best-known bush ballad, and has been described as the country's "unofficial national anthem".
The title was Australian slang for travelling on foot (waltzing, derived from the German auf der Walz) with one's belongings in a "matilda" (swag) slung over one's back. The song narrates the story of an itinerant worker, or "swagman", making a drink of billy tea at a bush camp and capturing a stray jumbuck (sheep) to eat. When the jumbuck's owner, a squatter (wealthy landowner), and three mounted policemen pursue the swagman for theft, he declares "You'll never take me alive!" and commits suicide by drowning himself in a nearby billabong (watering hole), after which his ghost haunts the site.
The figure of the "jolly swagman", represented most famously in Banjo Paterson's bush poem "Waltzing Matilda", became a folk hero in 19th-century Australia, and is still seen today as a symbol of anti-authoritarian values that Australians considered to be part of the national character.
A swagman (also called a swaggie, sundowner or tussocker) was a transient labourer who travelled by foot from farm to farm carrying his belongings in a Swag (bedroll). The term originated in Australia in the 19th-century and was later used in New Zealand.

The Band Sang Waltzing Matilda  is the other Waltzing Matilda song.

And  the Band Played Waltzing Matilda is a song written by Scottish-born Australian singer-songwriter Eric Bogle in 1971. Many cover versions of the song have been performed and recorded  in differant counteries around the world.
This the  other Waltzing Matilda Song  is an account of the memories of an old Australian man who, as a youngster had travelled across rural Australia with a swag (the so-called Matilda of the title) and tent. In 1915 he had been recruited into the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps and sent to Gallipoli. For ten weary weeks, he kept himself alive as around [him] the corpses piled higher. He recalls that terrible day ... in the hell that they called Suvla Bay [they] were butchered like lambs at the slaughter ... in that mad world of blood, death and fire. He is hit by a shell and awakens in hospital to learn that he has lost both his legs.
When the ship carrying the young soldiers departs from Australia the band plays Waltzing Matilda while crowds wave flags and cheer. When the crippled narrator returns and the legless, the armless, the blind, the insane are carried down the gangway to the same popular music, the people watch in silence and turn their faces away.
I will let the song tell the story below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZqN1glz4JY

I suppose it is the second one to which I was referring.  Thanks for adding clarity to a half-informed thought. I didn't know that Eric Bogle wrote that. He wrote a song about boats that I like very well. Sadly, I can't recall the title of the song just now. It talks about the boat being soft in the transom and how it only likes him for his money and the end of every chorus wraps up with, "And I'm so **** tired of rowing."

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf
The Song you are referring to is " Old Fat Boat"  I believe... but it was not Eric Bogle that wrote it
it was Gordon Bok
here it is.  Cool song just the same
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLAd4l5uROU

Jim

Thanks guys I love that song Old Fat Boat

Zurf wrote:

Topdown liked that verse so well that he adds it whenever he sings that song now, too.

While I am flattered by the mention, to say I "sing" anything is quite a leap big_smile I do very much enjoy that verse though big_smile

My fav version of The Band Waltzing Maltida is by Liam Clancy - the emotions he brings to the tune gives me goose bumps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFCekeoSTwg

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Got a story about Danny Boy as well. Many years ago I was fortunate to be able to get a Tee Time at the famous Bethpage Black golf course in Long Island, NY (My uncle lives there and knows people smile ). Anyway, the clubhouse is an old stone or brick building with 30'+ high ceilings and wonderful acoustics. I'm guessing someone lost a bet, but after the round a guy a few tables down from us stands up and belts out a beautiful A cappella version Danny Boy in this crowded bar - the entire bar was silenced and gave him an awesome round of applause when he finished. It was a moment I will likely never forget.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Wow! I'm thankful for all the responses and trouble Pete went to for all the info on this song. Don't know if any of you came across the quote of an old New York City cop?

"I want Danny Boy played at my funeral, and if it's not, I'm getting up and walking out!"

So much history! And about Waltzing Mathilda: The first time I heard the song was in a film starring Gregory Peck called "On The Beach". It was about (I think) the last nuclear submarine left sailing after a nuclear war. The sailors on board were singing it. Over and over until I could sing it along with them. Nevil Shute is the author of the book of the same name.

Thanks again

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

TIGLJK wrote:

Zurf
The Song you are referring to is " Old Fat Boat"  I believe... but it was not Eric Bogle that wrote it
it was Gordon Bok
here it is.  Cool song just the same
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLAd4l5uROU

Jim

That's the one. I would have sworn it was Eric Bogle. I'm not on  my game!

17 (edited by badeye 2017-12-28 16:38:03)

A local bar has a Danny Boy sing off on St. Paddy`s day ,  some good versions for sure...  great song...

badeye       cool

one caper after another