1 (edited by TIGLJK 2018-02-25 11:59:05)

Topic: Throw Away The Swords

This song springs from a line in the message from Peatle's Mum.

I wasn't sure at first where I was gonna go with it, but I knew it was a really cool line.  However,   after the fatal shooting of 17 people at Parkland High school in Florida, and the failure to protect our citizens from these attacks..... well I knew it fit - at least to me.

I am not trying to say we should get rid of guns or anything , but there is no reason why a citizen needs an AR-15.  Especially people that have a background of mental illness.
What really makes me angry is that no one seems to do anything about it.  the politicians pay their lip service of sorrow and make empty promises - and then time comes along and  they hope we'll just move on and forget.  Well it's time to not do that any more . so hence this song !

kinda reminds me of the line posed to America in the song  OHIO by CSNY - about the shooting of the college kids @ Kent State in 1970

" how can you run when you know ? "

(sorry if I ranted here! smile

Anyway - here is a link to the song I wrote in chordpro format in my songbook

http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/?url= … ranspose=0

or here it is in regular form

[Song]
{t: Throw Away The Swords}

[Am]Onward you pious soldiers, preaching  your sacred rights
Seems your [Em]heart is  numb to all the pain, and [Dm]all the tear filled [Am]nights
Newtown, Vegas, and Columbine,  Sutherland ,  and Fort Hood
Blacks[Em]burg, Parkland, San  Bernadino, said  they [Dm]did all they [Am] could

[Am]Well If no one acts, then nothing changes,  heartaches will  come again
Like an [Em]ocean tide, they keep coming back, with the[Dm] hurt of a hurri[Am]cane 
Children dying, parents crying, there's  crosses where they last stood
Oh we [Em] say we're sorry, but we don't act, and  it  [Dm]never turns out like it [Am]should

Chorus:
[F]Listen to the gentle hearts of kindness, won't you [C] listen  their calls
[F]Heed their voices, feel their pain,    fix this [C]country  before it[G] falls
[F]Can't stand by no more, it's time to act, no more [C]false prophet words
It's [G]time to stand up and be counted,   it's [F]time to throw a[Em]way the [Am]swords.

[Am]There's  no reasons at all  why we cant protect, the innocent from the gun
time to[Em] break the bondage, from in the past ,[Dm] the way such things were [Am] done
Press those politicians, who make the rules,  don't leave them any choice
It's up[Em] to us to make a difference,  time  for [Dm]us to rise up as one [Am] voice

Chorus:
Chorus:
[F]Listen to the gentle hearts of kindness, won't you [C] listen  their calls
[F]Heed their voices, feel their pain,    fix this [C]country  before it[G] falls
[F]Can't stand by no more, it's time to act, no more [C]false prophet words
It's [G]time to stand up and be counted,   it's [F]time to throw a[Em]way the [Am]swords.
it's [F]time to throw a[Em]way the [Am]swords.
it's [F]time to throw a[Em]way the [Am]swords.
[song/]

Thanks Peatle for the cool message of your Mum - must've been a special woman.

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Re: Throw Away The Swords

TIgljk A good song I look forward to hearing it. like you I think America should keep there guns just don't let mentally ill people buy them. I can understand how he was reported and the FBI couldn't find him ,something stinks about it.

Hard times create strong men,Strong men create good times,Good times create weak men,Weak men create hard times.Cantwere rice INVICTA!

Sorry I disagree, it's not the guns it's the evil men do with them. Take away the temptation and hopefully the evil will follow. As Jim asks; why allow anybody to keep automatic weapons? If you're a hunter one bullet should do the trick. A hundred bullets in a second will change your late meal to mincemeat.

Strong words Jim, and beautifully written.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

TIG  that has to be the most powerful song lyrics I have read in some time, I hope it gets out as a song and is heard by millions. All those  innocent kids  lifes been taken because of it being easy to get weapons doesn't make sense to me..
One of my uncles over in Fiji was murdered by a young guy with a rifle many years ago who said voices in his head told him to do it. The pain of that loss has stayed for all these years and the family still finds it hard to talk about.
Thank you Jim very moving and beautifully written my Mum will be pleased when I tell her something she said helped you write this song.

Powerful lyrics, TIG ... really pokes at the apathy / complacency we all wallow in at times. It reminded me somewhat of a song by Wishbone Ash from the early 70's called "Throw Down the Sword", which is the style I imagine it being played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LByiVlc6czA

6 (edited by Jandle 2018-02-21 04:33:47)

Tig, a great song, very much a thought provoking one.  I hope someone will take this song on and perform it,  it needs to be heard.

This is how Japan deals with guns and their population owning one ...........
http://act.tv/v/17025/

(edited as spelling mistake - Jandle)

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

7 (edited by TIGLJK 2018-02-21 19:47:43)

Thanks all for your comments. 
It's a difficult topic and I'm not against people having guns - in fact I have a couple that I use for hunting.
I am against people having more firepower than police. I have a problem also withthe fact that politicians don't act because they are afraid of losing the backing of the NRA in upcoming elections.
To be a coach in my state there are about 10 regulations you have to comply with prior to ever being able to coach a soccer or basketball game at a public school.  Is it difficult - yup !  But is it worth it yep !  Kids are safer !!

Citizens should be willing to go through the same type of procedures to have guns.

Jan I like the Japan video - might be a little non-applicable to us, but many of their tenets could be used.

Thanks again everyone...... If I could sing I'd record it and you tube it -  but alas ...... sad

Thanks again everyone!!
Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

8 (edited by Jandle 2018-02-22 02:35:50)

Tig, i would love to hear mojo or Phill or Rickyjack (who seems to be missing from Chordie) try this song of yours, their vocals would nail it I reckon.

Oh I forgot  BGD would be good at this as well and well plenty of others on here too for that matter.

(edited by Jandle)

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

If I have said it before, Jim It bears repeating: you seem to excel at writing deep, spiritual "message" songs and I enjoy the words and think to myself, "I wish I could write like him". So kudos again (I lost count how many!) for another one.

If you don't mind, may I refer you to an old Kinks song which although the message is different, the feelings are the same?

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v … tion=click

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Bill

I love that song. Used to listen to it years ago...kinda lost trak of it. I think I actually may have it on a vinyl 331/3  up in my attic along with 500 other albums smile

Thanks for the kinds words and the trip down memory lane.
It's great to have the Musicator Extraordinaire back in swing!! smile

Jim

Thanks for that TF, I'd forgotten about Wishbone Ash, I have the Argus album on vinyl in my attic. Reminds me of the bassist in one of my bands years ago who loved them and actually sounded like them singing and every song he wrote...you get my meaning?

The less I'm doing the less time I seem to have...how does that work? When I get the time and hwyl I'll give it a try.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

12 (edited by Tenement Funster 2018-02-23 22:47:31)

Phill Williams wrote:

Thanks for that TF, I'd forgotten about Wishbone Ash, I have the Argus album on vinyl in my attic. Reminds me of the bassist in one of my bands years ago who loved them and actually sounded like them singing and every song he wrote...you get my meaning?

The less I'm doing the less time I seem to have...how does that work? When I get the time and hwyl I'll give it a try.

Awesome band, Phill ... and they're still touring. Argus was a good album, as were Pilgrimage, There's the Rub, and Wishbone Four. My favorite of their's was New England. At the end of side 2, the music gradually fades until there's a good 2 minutes with just some crickets singing in the background. Without warning, a loud lion roar with no reverb ends it. Of course, we'd sit someone stoned & skittish near a speaker when it was playing, and watch them freak out when the lion roared. Good times ... lol

This is the link to this song in chopro format.
I made a couple small changes to lyrics and chords.

I may put up a version on the cloud today...

http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/?url= … ranspose=0