Topic: NPD

New Pick Day!

I just stopped by GC to refresh my pick stock ahead of Chordiestock. I have been playing dunlop tortexes in varying thicknesses for twenty years or so. For some reason, I decided to mix it up a bit.

In addition to tortex .73 (the yellow ones), I also got Tortex .73 sharps, which have a much pointier tip. I then bought two packs of Snarling Dog Brain picks (.60, the purple ones) because I love their pedals and want to see how their picks perform. Finally, I got a pack of Dunlop Primetones. They claim to be hand burnished, which is met with very good reviews on Amazon. The buggers are expensive though - $7 for two picks!

Does anyone have experience with any of these picks? What are your thoughts?

Thanks to you Zurf for getting picks on my brain. Can't wait to see everyone in FL.

Re: NPD

I like the "Cat's Tongue Brain Picks" in 0.73 ... the rough surface makes them easier to hang on to than a smooth pick. I'll sometimes use a felt ukelele pick on the bass guitar. For a tiny thing, they sure make a difference.

I found some that I like, also the Tortex. I think they're the .73 size. Anyway, I've got a tub of picks that I keep handy and rummage around in it for one that feels like I want to use it at that particular time.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I like Dunlop .73 with the little gripper things on them. As I get older it seems harder to grip a pick where I want it. I do have a few odd picks and still look for what's new. It seems like a lot of people like the .73's in a lot of different styles.

Tyson7 wrote:

I like Dunlop .73 with the little gripper things on them. As I get older it seems harder to grip a pick where I want it. I do have a few odd picks and still look for what's new. It seems like a lot of people like the .73's in a lot of different styles.

For the grip issue, I use Gorilla Snot as needed. It's a soft bees wax. It's not really gorilla snot.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I just looked in my pick box.  I've toyed with a bunch of different types and thicknesses but it seems I always go back to Martin .60 Delrins, Dunlop .60 Ultex or Dunlop .73 nylon. I noticed a pick from Australia that I kept when the "picks around the world" package passed through my hands.  Does anyone know what happened to the package or who had it last?

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Dirty Ed wrote:

I just looked in my pick box.  I've toyed with a bunch of different types and thicknesses but it seems I always go back to Martin .60 Delrins, Dunlop .60 Ultex or Dunlop .73 nylon. I noticed a pick from Australia that I kept when the "picks around the world" package passed through my hands.  Does anyone know what happened to the package or who had it last?

i have no idea. We should restart it...maybe put together a new box at Chordiestock this year?

Baldguitardude wrote:
Dirty Ed wrote:

i have no idea. We should restart it...maybe put together a new box at Chordiestock this year?

I think Whitewater was the last person to have it. He hasn't been on in a long time, and I know he had some serious health issues. I hope he's pulled through, but I'm betting that mailing picks out was not high on his priority list. I can't blame him for that. God bless him. So, I think if we want to restart picks around the world, that would be awesome, but let's have some kind thoughts for Whitewater as we do it and hope the best for him whether on this Earth or otherwise.

Baldguitardude wrote:

I think that's a fine idea. I kinda like the way the package started simple, with an envelope of picks, but over time it included, CD's, tuners, a harmonica and various other musical related items. I suggest if we start it again, we keep it simple - just guitar picks. Then we can again watch the package grow as it goes "Around the World".

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

topdown wrote:
Baldguitardude wrote:

I think that's a fine idea. I kinda like the way the package started simple, with an envelope of picks, but over time it included, CD's, tuners, a harmonica and various other musical related items. I suggest if we start it again, we keep it simple - just guitar picks. Then we can again watch the package grow as it goes "Around the World".

I would personally rather put something good in it whilst in Fl than wait for it to get maybe mailed to me, if we are gonna go through the trouble.

If Jeff puts his J45 in, then I want to be the first recipient.