Topic: The French Girl - not written by Dylan

Your Bob Dylan page has 'The French Girl' as a Bob Dylan composition.  Although Dylan sang it on the 'Basement Tapes' the song is actually by Canadian folk duo Ian Tyser & Sylvia Fricker (Ian and Sylvia).  If songs are listed by composer perhaps it should be moved?

I realise now that lots of songs aren't attribted to the actual composer on this site, but perhaps their actual composer could be mentioned on the page where appropriate, it must be embarrassing for young players to proudly introduce their party piece and get it entirely wrong.

Re: The French Girl - not written by Dylan

Similarly, 'Dear Mrs Roosevelt' is a song by Woody Guthrie which Dylan sang at the tribute concert after Guthrie's death.  '1913 massacre' is another Guthrie composition.

'Fixin' to die' is a Bukka White song.

Jerry Jeff Walker wrote "Mr. Bojangles".

'Cuckoo is a pretty bird' is a traditional folk song, as are 'Froggie went a courtin', 'Gospel Plow', 'Handsome Molly', 'House of the rising sun', 'Jim Jones' etc.

Obviously Dylan's versions of these songs are relevent but he didn't write them and it creates confusion to imply that he did.  Perhaps, instead of moving them, the correct attribution could be given on the Dylan site?

I dont know why people are complaining about who wrote what.

As said in a nother thread chordie is a search engine for lyrics and chords, they are not submitted on the actual web site.

If every song was to be checked we would probably still be waiting for upgrades to the site, i.e no forum like this to say about who wrote what.

It doesnt really matter who wrote it and would take too long to check every song.

I have come across lots of songs that say they were wrote by someone and they are not,

And i think some of the songs that are mentioned do not say they were wrote by certain people, it is saying whos version it is.

If someone is really, like really interested in finding out who wrote a song they can google it.

there are no royalties paid to the artists or the writers of songs from tab/chord/lyric pages on the net so there is no need to change anybody's name unless they have a song next to them that they never wrote or sung, but if they did write or sing a certain song then they can have their name next to it I think.

People these days are getting far too moany and always wanting to be politically correct etc,

people should just enjoy what they have got.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Knowing who actually wrote a song is interesting, but not essential.  It is fun to learn details about various composers and performers, but the greatest tribute of all is simply being motivated or inspired to keep the music alive by playing it.

For example: "A Boy Named Sue" - - - a great song that is NOT by Johnny Cash.  The lyricist was Shel Silverstein; noted cartoonist/author/songwriter/illustrator and all-round creative wit.  For a good time, Google up some stuff on Shel Silverstein and you'll discover a world of great stuff sing and read.

Likewise: "Hallelujah" is by poet/novelist/songwriter Leonard Chohen (NOT Jeff Buckley - in fact, some would say that he made a mawkish mess of it).  Google up Leonard Cohen and you'll discover a world of great stuff to sing and read.

If there is a song that touches you somehow, chances are you will grow as a musician by discovering something about the creator/performer - - - but don't let historical details become more important than the music itself.

I feel that Chordie users who choose to post a Public Songbook should include relevant information regarding a song's actual lyricist/composer if they feel it is important.  Such info can be included as a comment when editing the selection in preparation for making it public.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]