1 (edited by last_rebel 2007-09-07 18:41:52)

Topic: The Ballad of Last Rebel

First off the name is gonna be slightly different but i don't want to use my real name on here......

This is a song I've been working on for about a month now (really a lot longer than that if you count the time i was playing around with the melody). I can't help but be kind of proud of this one's tune since it really marks a big step for me in developing my playing style. I think the main feel and motive behind this song really comes from the music itself, the words came much later, almost as an unnecesary bonus lol
I'm writing this open (as usual I really like to CAPO it on first fret, you can figger out what key that makes it if you want to bother with it). There's a basic lead part which can really be played at anytime during the chorus but i like to strum while i'm singing...
I'll write out the song's chord pattern for those just wanting to take a quick look then at the bottom I'll post the melody line if somebody wants to hear what the song really sounds like.... (a note on rythym, i pronounce lousiana with 4 syllables lol)

Meloncholy Peaceful feel
Strumming isn't really a country rhythym but I DO bounce it
On the verses I like to do some hammer-ons and pull-offs with my middle and index fingers when i'm switching....

INTRO:  Play Lead Part 2 then strum D, Am

VERSE 1:
Am                                     
Its been a long hard road

C              G
   tryin' to find

Am
   a place to call home

C                       G      D
  and peace of mind  (oh-oh)

Am                         C                           G
I think its time to move on down the line

CHORUS 1:
G
Well roll on roll on
            C                      Am
I gotta get to lousiana

C                    D
I gotta sing  another song
        G
Well guitar picker
                 C               
wont you play some blues for me

Am             C                  G
I've been sighin' all day long

VERSE 2:
     Am
My heartaches and troubles
C                   G
   they never end
          Am
Been days it seemed this old guitar
C                            G          D
  has been my only friend  (oh-oh)
       Am                   C                    G
So I think its time I moved along again

CHORUS2:
     G
So roll on roll on
            C
I gotta get back to Texas
            Am   C             D
I gotta sing one more song
G                                               C
Guitar man help me play these blues away
               Am        C       G
I've been crying all day long

INSTRUMENTAL- same chords as chorus OR
PLAY LEAD PART 1 AND 2

VERSE 3:

Am
Where can I go?
C                                      G
  If everywhere I feel the same
Am                                 
And I can't see the road
C            G             D
   for the rain (hey-yeah)
         Am                     C                        G
But I hear the whistle of the midnight train

CHORUS 3:
       G
Well roll on roll on
            C
I don't care where we're going
Am               C                         D
    And I will sing an old sad song
G                                    C             
Guitar picker won't you play something for me
Am                  C                   G
   I've felt like dying all day long

PLAY LEAD PART 2  -NO FILL IN STRUMMING-
~~~~~~~

Okay so here's the lead part: (sorry the notes dont line up perfect i aint too good at this)
After you play the note and land on the chord do a beat or two of fill in strumming before starting the next little step down thingy
*- you're gonna strum the chord also but make sure the accent is on this note

LEAD PART 1
                  G                     C                                               D

l------------- 3-----------------0---------------------------------- ---2----------
l--0--------- 0------0--------- 1--------------------0----------------3------------
l-----2-0----0----------2-0---0-------0---2--0-2---2-0-------0---2--------------
l-------------0*----------------2----2------2--------------0h2------0----------
l-------------2----------------- 3*----------0--------------------------------------
l-------------3-------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEAD PART 2

G                       C                                              G

l------------- 3-----------------0---------------------------------- ---3-------------
l--0--------- 0------0--------- 1--------------------0----------------3----------------
l-----2-0----0----------2-0---0-------0---2--0-2---2-0-------0---0-------------
l-------------0*----------------2----2------2--------------0h2------0---------
l-------------2----------------- 3*----------0------------------------ 2----------
l-------------3---------------------------------------------------------3-------------

I hope I wrote all that right.... anyway like I said you can play the lead part for the verses by putting in a few hammer ons and pull offs when you switch chords. You COULD change it up a bit and play the whole thing in a more finger pick style if you like, or just strum the whole thing.
To me it has kind of an easy peaceful, if kind of sad, mood to it. In my mind I can hear a nice fiddle intro to kind of draw out more of the traditional influences even though its not really as country sounding as most of the stuff I write.
Anyway as usual comments/suggestions??

All You Need is Love smile

Re: The Ballad of Last Rebel

sorry about the tab lines just noticed it and fixed it.... funny it didn't show that before i hit submit.

All You Need is Love smile

Re: The Ballad of Last Rebel

great lyrics there rebel.
Not playing it yet, I might pick the guitar up tomorrow and give it a go.

Nice

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending