Re: How much should I invest in a guitar as a new player?

I'll suggest to check at book stores. i bought my first guitar in the back of a book store in in 1988 and i still use it from time to time. that is, if your boookstores at where ever you are have a section for cheap (inexpensive, sorry. working on being more politically correct) instruments.

the answer is blowin' in the wind

Hi Boobhops,
Don't spend a packet. You can get a prefectly good acoustic or electric for under £100. You will get better, quicker on an acoustic. With an acoustic there is no mucking around dragging the amp out, plugging in and then faffing around with the knobs. Acoustic - no knobs! Easy. Just check on the guitars you look at that it can be tuned and stay in tune. Don't be fooled by a salesman telling you the strings are shot - if it won't hold tune- it's f**ked! So buy a tumer for £10 and tune it up. Then, with it in tune, check the harmonics. TO do this you damp a string over the 12th fret and pluck the string. It should ring like a bell, and more importantly, the tuner should still be reading perfect tune. If it doesn't, the set up is wrong. On an acoustic with no bridge adjustment, walk away. If the harmonics are ok, then play every note on every fret and check for clean action and no buzzing. If all is good, offer 10% less than the asking price! Good luck. And remember,there are more guitars in the world than there will ever be guitar buyers -so don't buy any shit!!!

I just bought my daughter her first guitar and I bought her an Ibanez for under 100 dollars. It is a nice little guitar and it sounds pretty good. High price does not always mean a good guitar.

I bought my first guitar from a garage sale for $25.00. I didn't know how to play. It was a 1/4 size (more like a toy) perfect for fooling around on. Then I dug up some old cassette training tapes my dad had by a fella by the name of Larry Wayne ...simple stuff but perfect to start with...I learnt alot...FINALLY...I just bought a FENDER accustic with accessories for under $500.00. Its sounds great and didn't realize how 'bad' the "toy" sounded . What a difference...on to the next step with Chordie...this is exciting ....I'm 47 years old with 6 kids and feel like a kid myself...good luck .

I would not buy anything too expensive, but if you buy a cheap piece of crap it could depess you if you don't progress fast enough! Go out and find a friend who has some experience to guide you! I'm sure for a beginner you could get something decent in the area of about  $200.00 to $300.00 I wouldn't spend any more than that at the begining!