Topic: John Prine Question on Hello in There

I have been trying to learn Hello in There and bought Prine's DVD West 54th Sessions. I notice that he's playing Hello in There in the key of G capoed on the second fret. Chordie says the 3rd line has a Gmaj7 in it but that don't look like what he's playing. Any John Prine fans out there and does anyone know how to play that so called Gmaj7

Thanks

Re: John Prine Question on Hello in There

I have just had another look at it and what about a Bm. It seems to work but every time I look at the DVD the camera pans away on that chord.

What do you guys think??

gmd

John swears he only uses three chords...Says they sound good to him...

In looking at some Prine sheet music, it was apparent to me that what the "trained" transcriber was catching was the momentary changes from chord to chord, where maybe a finger is lifted or still in place.

I used to play that, and I seem to recall it was pretty much first-position chords.

hi seadreamer,

remember that the songs on chordie are taken from other site and they are not always spot on accurate. The transcriptions are from other people na dsometimes people get things wrong.

I have seen a lot of songs that are wrong in chordie, but they still work, just in a different key sometimes or sometimes completely wrong but still sound ok until you try and play along with a song.

I do like John Prine but I dont know this song ( even though I might have it)

My advice is play what you see if it sounds right , use it, if not, find another chord that sounds correct.

And if you have it saved in your songbook ( if you have one) you can change it by clicking edit and amend chords to any songs in your songbooks on chordie

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Thanks everyone for your answers. They are helpful. I ran this question past a friend of mine too just as I posted here and this is what he wrote to me:

"The chord is a Gmaj7,but not the basic one.And later in the chorus he strums a Bminor chord, which is very similar in the fingering.I guess I might demonstrate that sometime, although you could figure this info out with a decent chord chart.So,capo @ 2nd fret, the chords would read: G  Am  D7 [2X] Gmaj7  C  G  D , that's the verse. The chorus would follow: F G [2X]  Bm  C  G  D. Works for me! The key is actually in A!  I still think it's amazing for the song to be one of his first!! It's a poignant tune [i think]."

Chordie actually helped me a great deal figure out how Prine was playing this song on his DVD. It is not how he plays it from

iTunes as a single. There he's using C Dm G -/ / Em - F/ C - G -:// And the verse has a very ugly Bb in it, which I find difficult which is why I wanted to shift to the key of A. Pick your poison I guess, I have yet to figure out that dang Gmaj7 so it's either that or the damned Bb.

We love John Prine though. He's great for a beginner guitarist.

Keep on pickin