Topic: Teaching Tips

OK, I have about 6 kids in my Youth Groups at church that want to learn how to play guitar.  I thought I'd start a little begining guitar class, but this is the kicker; I'm self taught, so I know how I did it, but I don't know if that's the best way to teach my kids (mostly 13-15 year olds).  I don't plan on this thing getting to advanced (if it does, I'm certainly not the guy to teach!), but I would like to teach them some of the basics.
If any of my fellow chordians have any ideas / tips / stories / web sites / anything that might help me out, I could sure use it.
Thanks!

Re: Teaching Tips

25Frankster wrote:

OK, I have about 6 kids in my Youth Groups at church that want to learn how to play guitar.  I thought I'd start a little begining guitar class, but this is the kicker; I'm self taught, so I know how I did it, but I don't know if that's the best way to teach my kids (mostly 13-15 year olds).  I don't plan on this thing getting to advanced (if it does, I'm certainly not the guy to teach!), but I would like to teach them some of the basics.
If any of my fellow chordians have any ideas / tips / stories / web sites / anything that might help me out, I could sure use it.
Thanks!

Wow!, What a task you have at hand!!! Lets break it down in simple terms;
Begin with an introduction to the guitar and all of it's parts. They'll need to know what the parts are so they can be told which parts to use(body, neck,fretboard, stock, bridge, nut, tuning pegs, string names, etc.)

Next, show your students how to tune their guitars and make sure everyone is tuned together in 440 A. This is the 3rd A note on the piano (starting from the bass notes).

After parts education and tuning technique I would start with a few basic chords like G, C, and D. Show where to place fingers on the fretboard to assemble these chords. Take it slow and work on one chord at a time. Don't forget how hard is was for you when you first began to play.

Next, I'd work on some various strumming patterns like; all down, all up, down up down, etc.......

Another project I like to do when I have several students is to create our own song lyrically and using the simple basic chords of which we're working with. Go around the room and let each student add to the previous lyric until you have a dozen or so lines. Then break them down into thirds and build your own original tune.

Just some ideas..........Good luck
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Good stuff SouthPaw--Thank You.
I've been the 45 year old rhythm guitarist in the youth band for two years because no one plays, so this is a good thing!

Have you heard the CAGED theory?

If you learn the chords C,A,G,E,D, major and minor variants, you basically have all the shapes that you need to form any chord in any key.

Bear in mind that the A and E shapes have to be played without using the first finger in the open position, so that barre chords become very easy later on.

I've been teaching my (11 year old) son using this method and he's doing well.

regards

David

Hey 25Frankster,
I am the same as you, self taught, and awhile ago when my 15 year old son asked me to teach him, I was at a blank!  However, going through the CAGED theory that acmecorp suggested was a great begining.  That got my son very interested and motivated.  Like everyone here on chordie, the amazment of oneself when you play those first few chords is infectious.  Especially when you realise that after all the practice, some things come esaily.  The main thing is to keep it fun.  Now my son plays with all his new musical friends and they have a ball.  He is now teaching me!!!
Good luck and you have a very rewarding project ahead of you.

Ray

"If You Always Do What You've Always Done - You'll Always Get What You've Always Got !"