Topic: How long does it take for new strings to break in?

OK, i just told you how great my Epiphone Masterbuilt is (in my last post).  but this is something that's bothered me for years, with all my guitars.  a week ago i changed the strings and they still haven't totally mellowed out.  How long does it take?  I went from deep, rich warm lows and sharp, bright higs (before they started to go flat) to twangy and tinny.  they've eased up some in the week, but i want my old sound back.  how long do i have to wait?  the new strings were martin sp medium -- which i've had pretty good luck with before, but i'm starting to think the epi doesnt like them.  should i change or wait?

Re: How long does it take for new strings to break in?

I find that very strange because when I replace my strings it's almost like having a new guitar imediatly. I have been using D'Adarrio for years. Maybe you might want to try them and see what happens

what a long strange trip it's been

When you put them on wind them tight and tug on them a few times up & down. Then hold the string down with one hand and tug the string with the other hand. Tune and play then retune the next day.

Bootlegger.

Just putting on new strings, tuning them up and being done isn't enough.  When you put them on (with enough wrap to secure them on the tuner shafts), you still need to stretch them.  As bootlegger stated...tug on them!!  Tune them up a little (almost to pitch).  When you're done, "fret" the top string on the second fret, place your finger (picking hand) under it over the body (pick ups or sound hole) and tug it upwards two or three times.  Do the same with every string you have just put on.  Re-tune.  Then...do the same thing, "fretting" the tugged string on the 10th or 12th fret.  Re-tune again.  By now...you should be able to tune them up and stay in tune.  If not...stretch the heck out of 'em again and start over.  Eventually, you will not have any issues.  Rock on!

Gibson Les Paul Studio (customized) * Epiphone Zakk Wylde Custom Les Paul "Camo" * Breedlove 6-string acoustic * Takamine 12-string acoustic/electric * Line 6 Spider III 212 150 * Line 6 FBV Shortboard * New tight skin-toned colored Spandex and matching thong *
big_smile

Ive always used D'Adario strings, preferably fosfer bronze 11's and when i change strings the sound is asolutely awesome, but if you do hate the new string sound then just keep up the riffs, bend em like theres no tomorrow.

i think it probly depends on how much you play on it. I just put on some custom acoustic strings on my epiphone a few days ago. I've been playing all day yesterday and the day before and i finally got the sound i was looking for last night.

All You Need is Love smile

I also recommend putting a good graphite (or the like) lubricant on the nut (the guide at the top of the fretboard...the string guide before they go to the tuning pegs).  Although this may not seem like that big of a deal (and it's not), it does provide a slick movement for the strings and keeps them from "popping" in and out of pitch.  I really never used it, but now that I do...it does make a difference on the how the strings keep their pitch.  Try it...you'll like it.

Gibson Les Paul Studio (customized) * Epiphone Zakk Wylde Custom Les Paul "Camo" * Breedlove 6-string acoustic * Takamine 12-string acoustic/electric * Line 6 Spider III 212 150 * Line 6 FBV Shortboard * New tight skin-toned colored Spandex and matching thong *
big_smile

well, they must have been crappy strings i was originally writing about.  i changed again, and this time used the D'Adarrio strings that someone recommended.  a world of difference.  like someone else said, it almost sounds like a new guitar.

...and the beauty of a good forum rears its head once again...

I cannot tell you how much I've learned in forums like this one on everything from strings to woods to body sizes to scale lengths to...ahh, you name it...now your job is to pass it forward, ssttsstt.