Topic: Would appreciate advice/recommendations

I've started playing again after many years of inactivity. If you saw my guitar you'd die....it was my Dad's and it actually went through WW2....a S.S. Stewart. The body is cracked, the neck warped and I wouldn't sell it for anything....

But I am in the market to get a new acoustic, just acoustic without the electice do-dads. I'm petite, have small hands and the start of arthritis.

I'm considering  an orchestra body and the Guild GAD30 was sweet but I'm also considering the inexpensive Martin 00X1.
Any advice would be welcome...price range is around $600-700.
Thanks

Re: Would appreciate advice/recommendations

well I just bought a takamine G340, which brand new and not on sale would run you around 300-350$, or a bit more for the cutaway. I also have smaller hands and find it quite comfortable. the sound is also excellent, and it gets good volume for a strictly acoustic instrument.
I would highly reccomend this particular model, as would quite a few other players I know, but then again the best thing is to try it for yourself. Sometimes a guitar just feels right, you'll see what I mean when you pick it up. Try more than one and go with one that feels and sounds right to you.

All You Need is Love smile

You'll get more value for money by steering clear of big names like Guild and Martin, checkout Tanglewood, BlueRidge, Seagull. Of course if you like that classic American vibe then go for it, there's no substitute :-)

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Takemine has always seemed to have a narrow neck to me.  That might be nice for someone with a petite hand.  They sound good too.

Taylor's have a great sound, as do Martin's.  With due respect to Cytania, I'm not sure that you should avoid Martin and Taylor and other big names.  They got big because they have produced high quality guitars for many years.  That said, the Blue Ridge guitars sound fantastic.  Give them a try.  If I had the money, I'd buy a Blue Ridge today.  If they're comfortable to your hands and build, I'd think the  value is tough to beat.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I too have small hands. I am a beginner less than a month of playing, I bought a Seagull S6 Cedar Top and I love it. I have not had too much trouble fingering the chords other thanI am a beginner.

Learning to play the guitar is easy. Converting that knowlege to sound like music is hard!

I don't think you could go wrong with either the Martin or the Guild...which one do you like best? I have always been partial to Martins but thats because I have a long history with them.

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Don't know the model number, but Martin has a concert series that still has a pretty nice tone unplugged....I know where it's hanging at Sam Ash...and I know it's black...and the wood grain on the neck is really cool....man, I'm being no help at all here....

Depening upon your abilities, the type of guitar is irrelevent.  An Ovation guitar is top of the line.  I currently play a 12 string Yamaha and a 6 string ventura.  It is what you are plugged into that makes all the the difference..    Your P/A system controls your sound.     A good EQ pedal  or even a chorus Pedal can make an acoustic guitar sound great.    Good luck...

9 (edited by aj1 2007-12-04 14:32:07)

If you can afford it buy a Taylor but before you do try a top end Yamaha APX.
Tanglewood are also great guitars for the price.

I'm with aj1 on this. I tried more expensive instruments and ended up buying a Yamaha APX500. A fantastic guitar for the money. Sounded better than a lot of more expensive brands. It's an electro-acoustic and sounds great on it's own or through an amp. Check them out, they won't dissapoint.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Thank you all for your advice...
I just bought a Guild GAD30. It is small and feels very well next to my body. My hands fit the neck and it sounds nice. It is very well-made and although I had my heart set on a Martin, I will never be able to afford the kind of Martin I lust after unless I hit the lottery.
Now I have to find some strings that will help make my callouses feel better.
This is a great site..thanks

Congratulations on your new instrument! Glad you found one that worked for you.
Now get over there and break that thing in! big_smile,
                                                                           LR

All You Need is Love smile

Strings don't make your fingers feel better, callouses do.  You get callouses by putting up with the discomfort of the strings. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

kayharley wrote:

Thank you all for your advice...
I just bought a Guild GAD30. It is small and feels very well next to my body. My hands fit the neck and it sounds nice. It is very well-made and although I had my heart set on a Martin, I will never be able to afford the kind of Martin I lust after unless I hit the lottery.
Now I have to find some strings that will help make my callouses feel better.
This is a great site..thanks

Practice, practice & more practice equal callouses.

Bootlegger.