Topic: fiddle

Hello all , I recently purchased a fiddle , i really really need some info on how to play . Thanks
Cathy

Re: fiddle

Hi and welcome to chordie.

I do not play the fiddle but my wife does and the only advice I could give is find a workshops that do fiddle.
I dont know where you are from but I do know in Scotland ye get these worskshops everywhere for beginners to advance players.

Other than that look up a local directory for lessons. To get classically trained will cost abit. My wife was paying £12 for half an hour a week, but learned alot and got a lot to keep practicing in the house.
You will be taught the scales first and bowing techniques.

Sorry, thats all I know but I hope it is of some help

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

thanks for the reply , where i live i don't know of anyone who gives lessons, i was wondering if there was a place online i could go to get info

Hi cathy & welcome to chordie!

You have picked a challenging instrument.  The basic techniques of holding the instrument and bow properly are important.  Bowing technique is also crucial.

I have succeeded in making some truly dreadful sounds on a friend's fiddle . . .

It would be very helpful if you had somebody help you with these fundamentals.  Go to your local music store and ask if they know anyone who plays.  Chances are, they will know somebody or know of somebody who plays.

Or, go to your local schools and see if the band/music teacher can recommend anyone.  Often, the local band/music teachers are a goldmine of information about other musicians.

Even though there might not be anyone in your vicinity who offers formal lessons, there might be another fiddler/violinist who would be glad to show you some basics.

You can google up 'fiddle lessons online' or 'violin lessons online' and find some stuff.  From my brief glance at what is out there, it seems they assume the student understands some of the fundamentals.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

let's not forget http://www.musicmoose.org a great source of info
marcalan

I thought ; If I had one idea,
and took it from beginning to end.
I would try another.

Is there a music store near where you live where you can call and see if anyone there gives lessons? Fiddle isn't easy to play and really isn't an instrument that you can teach yourself.

I'm a musician; I can [color=blue]Handel[/color] it!