Topic: what do yall think of guitar hero??

Seems like lately there's a guitar craze going around, except not for actual real guitars but these "toys" such as guitar hero, band something or other, and this new thing that you play by following the lights and you download song off the internet. They've got slogans like 'be a real guitar hero' or 'play like a legend', and everybody's buying these things without realizing that by the time you buy a consol, guitar controller and game, you could have almost bought a real guitar and learned how to play! The guitar is ALWAYS cool, but plastic video  games????
  Ive played guitar hero, and I'll admit it was kind of fun for a while (even though anything you know about real guitars completely contradicts the way you play the game), but I think all this mess is pretty stupid really. GET A REAL GUITAR FOR CHRIST"S SAKE! If you want to be seen as a guitar player then become one, you'll look alot cooler playing a real one anyways...

All You Need is Love smile

Re: what do yall think of guitar hero??

rebel....INSTANT GRATIFICATION no effort needed no hours of practice and no pain in the tips of your fingers and wrist its kind of like masturbation only electronic.I think the bottom line is $$$$$$$ when they get tired of these make believe roles thats when you can pickup the games at goodwill for less then a toaster.what they will not get out of these games is pride,a feeling of accomplishment,respect these things take hard work and dedication,guitar hero takes visa,mastercard or a check. acapo

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I still have not seen this thing but my mate told me of it last year. He had a go and said it is really good, especially for younger people to get into the guitar. But like you rebel, I tihnk why not just get a real one and get lessons? Maybe this is a cheaper way? And they can play solos etc from songs I think? that might be what they only want it for?
I will comment more on this if I ever have a go on one

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

It's crap. Just like american idol. It gives the player a false sense of accomplishment that can be attained  only from hands on the steel and wood, not some plastic toy. There is no substitute for becoming a real musician. Practice, practice, and more practice is the only way. There are no short cuts. My 12 year old daughter plays guitar hero and real bass guitar. She tells me that guitar hero is so much easier than the guitar playing Dad teaches her. Don't even get me started on American idol......

Give everything but up.

I'm with Southpaw here "No substituts for becoming a real
musician" I think like any toy a kid gets, the novelty wears off
in time. I would like to give it a go tho just to see what all
the fuss is about.

....Badeye.

one caper after another

I own some of the games and they are really fun to play. Although I don't think it makes me a rock star because I can beat it, and since I play real guitar, I know all about the hours and years and decades that go into guitar playing. I think it's great as a game, so long as everyone realizes it's a game and they can't really play Freebird. Everyone at parties seems to enjoy it though, it's kind of like the new-age karaoke.

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

I agree with etc-04, I own all of the games, and enjoy them quite a bit, but I still prefer to play my real guitar.

8 (edited by danspr 2007-12-01 22:05:31)

I like how South-Paw put it. ITS CRAP.
all I have to say ablut it.
cool danspr

Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel
Jimi Hendrix
cool danspr

its cool stuff and is suck so all my friends who cant play guitar but can play guitar hero make fun of me then i wip out my sg and show them my skills

So Red Delicious