1 (edited by lunchbox0164 2007-09-12 18:06:06)

Topic: I want to buy an Ovation

I want to buy a new guitar and I think that I want to buy an Ovation, but I have to go with a low end model eg CC24. My question is has anyone played one of these or one like it and if so how does it play, feel, etc...... I want to try and make sure I don't waste my money as it is I don't have alot to spend

big_smile

Re: I want to buy an Ovation

I've owned two Ovations (one nylon and one steel string), lb, and I'll stack either one against anything under $1,500.  Very underrated because of the "plastic"  and round back but it's really all very subjective.  I've played and owned other brands that were very nice as well, just very different.  My one suggestion would be to try and move to a US made Ovation and that one ain't it.  Really - a world of difference (in play, feel and sound) if you can afford it but I would definitely go to a used US made rather than a new non-US.  If you can't go US, consider a Takamine, Seagull or Alvararez.  They all make nice entry level guitars as well.  I know it's the standard line but make the effort to find a bigger guitar store and try them all.  Once you a/b them all, you'll know what to do.

My brother purchased an ovation a few weeks ago, while I changed my ovation to buy a Martin.
Ovation: very great sound, but again so many different guitars. Due to an accident, I can not stand longer than 5 minutes, and when you play sitting, the ovation moves whole the time, add a preamp that I had to repair 3 times (everytime 50$), and two days later: again problems, I hated this guitar.
On the other hand, I have a Martin D-1, electro-acoustic, sounds pretty good. But I have a lot of (expensive) acoustic guitars, and in stead of placing a preamp in these, I bought 2 microphones, giving a quit good result, IF you take a cable long enough to sit at least 10 metres from your amp

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

It is a subjective choice, I've played both Ovation and Takemine guitars and personally prefer the Takemine.

I have a Takemine Electro-acoustic which I've played for about 14 years, the pickup is very good and very loud!

I just didn't like the feel of Ovations, but so what, your mileage may vary.

regards

David

5 (edited by SouthPaw41L 2007-10-14 14:16:07)

You really need to play the specific guitar that you're planning on purchasing. Guitars are made one at a time and each individual guitar has a personality of it's own. At one time I had 3 Takamine EG330LH's and each one of them felt, and played differently.

Ovations are very nice guitars and you'll most likely be happy with anything from them. I still recommend playing the guitar before you buy it. Don't be concearned with bothering the sales associates at your local music store either. It's their job and you, the customer, are ultimately their boss.

Happy Shopping,
SouthPaw41L(Toney)

Give everything but up.

acmecorp wrote:

It is a subjective choice, I've played both Ovation and Takemine guitars and personally prefer the Takemine.

regards

David

I had a Tak EAN10C that I thought I would never sell.  I did to buy an Ovation that I had been lusting after for quite a while but I would buy that Tak back in a second.  The cedar top just gave it incredible sound, plugged or not, and I would put that guitar up against ANY guitar under $1,000US.  Just a fabulous guitar.

a good used guitar is usually your best value and wood will age like a fine bottle of wine.Therefore the sound will improve go for comfort while sitting or standing. Trust your own instincts on making your selection. I bought an old washburn for $250 bucks great guitar made in china. I bought a medium size ovation for $500 also used a very well made guitar. U.S. made.   Good luck, Shop until you find the right one play at least 25 before you buy.

I've got a CS257 (Korean made) that I love. No problems w/ pre-amp. What did make the world of difference was taking it into the shop and having the set-up changed and a little fret work done.  That and I play mixed/custom weight strings, plain light, wound extra-light. Not a great campfire guitar with that shallow bowl, but when I stand up and plug in it's comfortable, stays in tune and has an easy feel that makes you want to play. Try a lot before you buy, you never know what you might run into. I wouldn't have picked this one right off, but ended up having to have it. Good luck!

I have an Ovation CC24. I only one complaint, and that is that the neck is  narrow 1-11/16", even for me and I do not have big or meaty fingers

Peace Love & Rock'n Roll

i have a ovation celebrity,and it appears that the bass strings are more dominant HELP ANYONE

eric1 wrote:

i have a ovation celebrity,and it appears that the bass strings are more dominant HELP ANYONE

Do you mean the bass strings are louder than the treble(skinny) strings while playing through an amp or playing amplified? If playing unplugged I would recommend using a thinner pick. If playing plugged in I would recommend lowering the bass EQ on your guitar or if your guitar doesn't have an onboard EQ reduce your lows on your amp or mixer.

One other option is to thoroughly clean the brigde where your pickup is located. Loosen your strings enough so that you can remove the bone saddle an remove any grit or corrosion that may be in there.

Give everything but up.

"Loosen your strings enough so that you can remove the bone saddle..."

If it's a Celebrity, I would doubt it's bone but the rest is great advice!  Beyond that, some guitars do have a heavy bass side and that's a reflection of a number of things including their bracing, construction, or even the strings that you're putting on them.  Sound being subjective, some players just appreciate more bass and most manufacturer's cater to that by making models that are a little boomier or a little brighter.  You might just want to explore other models - just watch the GAS!

i want to buy an ovation so bad but i dont make any money. i like the plastic back there original and sound beautiful i'd get one

14 (edited by KMajors 2007-10-15 04:29:38)

I have owned an Ovation CC057 for a few years now.

It sounds good, holds a tune well, and when coupled with some Elixir light strings, it plays pretty good.

It is what it is. It is not a $1000 guitar. So it won't sound like one.

The tuner is very good, although it does eat the batteries (at least mine does), especially when plugged in.
I run it through a Behringer keyboard amp along with a mic and it does a great job.
The case that comes with it is very nice.
All in all it is a decent starter guitar.
Make sure you change out the stock strings as soon as you get it. Those things will make your fingers bleed.

edit: The roundback does take some getting used to. I am no longer a flat bellied youngster, and it tends to want to kick out. If I lost 20lbs...it probably wouldn't be an issue wink

Mama used to say that if you don't have anything nice to say, stfu, but if I had to give a friend ONE word of advice about buying an Ovation, it would be: Don't!

If there's not a reason for it, It's wrong.

I think Ovation makes the best playing acoustic guitars around. Their unplugged sound isn't as full as a traditional acoustic guitar, but they sound amazing plugged in and their necks are nice and slim and have a fast feel. I play a celebrity deluxe (bought it used for $200) and I think it is a great guitar. I love not having to mess around with bridge pins when you need to change the strings too.

Electric:  Schecter C-1, Hot-rodded strat
Acoustic: Ovation Celebrity Deluxe, Epiphone

Keep on rockin' in the free world!

I've owned an Ovation Elite model for about 10 years and have played several Ovations over the years (owned by other people.)  In all honesty I've never been really disappointed with any of them.  I do have other guitars but the Ovation is one that I play a lot and I'm not afraid to take it around with me. 

Ovations tend to have narrower necks so if you have smaller hands or play a lot of electric guitar, you may find this appealing.  As with a lot of things, everyone has their personal preferences with regards to sound but I like the Ovation sound.  Some people argue that the Ovation is a "plastic" guitar that doesn't change with age and that wood matures and thus changes the sound over time.  While this is true, it does not necessarily mean that the sound will get better. 

It's been mentioned already but I love the Ovation's bridge design and the fact that it doesn't have any pins.  This translates to an easier time changing strings (at least for me.)  The action on an Ovation is nice and low so the strings are usually easy to press and hold so it's forgiving when your finger doesn't quite hit the "sweet spot" of the string. 

What it all comes down to is that you can definitely do worse than an Ovation.  I recommend playing the model you like in the store extensively before you buy.  Don't make up your mind before you buy, there are a lot of options available to the guitar player nowadays.  Take your time, you never know what you'll find.  Good luck!

18 (edited by andros67 2007-12-08 02:01:39)

Can anyone tell me what make guitar this is? is it an Ovation? I noticed it has a curved back, maybe plastic. I saw this vid on you tube and i was wondering. Great song buy Cat Stevens. Andy.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLeWB3C2cLo

Yes that is an Ovation.

You can tell by the shape of the headstock, the design around the soundhole, and the un-mistakable round "plastic" back.

Thanks for clearing that up for me KMajors.