Topic: FINGERTIPS

I was amazed, yesterday, I picked up my guitar again, and I HAD TO STOP because my fingertips were like brandnew.
It took me 8 days, and fingertips are gone.
Who can tell me more about this or has got the same problem.
I tried to find a medical cause, but I didn't.

I wanted to share this information, I play quit a bit, and only 8 DAYS !!! to have them back as if I never played.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: FINGERTIPS

doctor dont worry take a couple of asprin and call me in the mornning,but seriously this happens from time to time after a layoff i have been picking 50 yrs and its happened to me several times its a natural body reaction kind of like not being able to get an erection when your sweetie wants some action,its inconvient but only temporary

"Growing old is not for sissies"

It's a bummer!  You should know, as a medical man that the human body has amazing powers of recuperation and an amazing ability to change itself to suit circumstances.  The callous on the fingertips is a result of damage inflicted on your fingers, so if it ain't needed, the skin will readjust!

Use it or lose it, doc!

I'm the son of rage and love

As for Russell's temp problem, I have no experience!!!

I'm the son of rage and love

5 (edited by arkady 2007-12-06 18:40:01)

Doc / Russell
If you don't use it you lose it. big_smile

Ark

ark...     i only wish i could use it more often,my lucks bound to change

But let's hope you don't get a nasty callouse smile

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

that wasn't kind or funny bud perhaps you will get wiser

speaking of fingertips.... yesterday our church did a christmas thing at the nursing home and I had to play for a solid hour and a half non stop, and I did okay till I took my fingers OFF the fretboard, then when they moved back to thier normal shape it hurt like a son of a gun, I mean they were throbbing terrible bad.... but then this morning they felt fine. Is this good or bad for your callouses I wonder, (not that I really had a choice), I usually quit when they start hurting too bad and let em have a rest. Maybe the doc has some good advice at how long you oughta play?

All You Need is Love smile

last_rebel wrote:

speaking of fingertips.... yesterday our church did a christmas thing at the nursing home and I had to play for a solid hour and a half non stop, and I did okay till I took my fingers OFF the fretboard, then when they moved back to thier normal shape it hurt like a son of a gun, I mean they were throbbing terrible bad.... but then this morning they felt fine. Is this good or bad for your callouses I wonder, (not that I really had a choice), I usually quit when they start hurting too bad and let em have a rest. Maybe the doc has some good advice at how long you oughta play?

Try christmas caroling in the cold (our cold is around 55F to 60F) you will be gauranteed to break strings and be sore.

Bootlegger.

last rebel this is the truth! when i first wanted to play seriously and decided it was going to be my lifelong pursuit i lived in los angeles and there is a park where the james dean movie "east of eden" was filmed i used to sit under a tree and practice scales for 8 hours a day during that time my fingertips had sores and would bleed but i was so wraped up in learning it became a obsession, i dont recomend this approch to learning guitar but i must admit i could and still can get around the fretboard but i think a more sensible approach to learning should be pursued.

I didn't expect so much answers, but I was surprised, I only didn't play for about 10 days. The tips are still STRONGER, but before I could play very easy 2-3 hours, now 15 minutes. Because probably a lot of us suffer sometimes from this problem, I post this. I also remarked that playing ELECTRIC is EASIER than ACOUSTIC if you try playing again.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Russell_Harding wrote:

last rebel this is the truth! when i first wanted to play seriously and decided it was going to be my lifelong pursuit i lived in los angeles and there is a park where the james dean movie "east of eden" was filmed i used to sit under a tree and practice scales for 8 hours a day during that time my fingertips had sores and would bleed but i was so wraped up in learning it became a obsession, i dont recomend this approch to learning guitar but i must admit i could and still can get around the fretboard but i think a more sensible approach to learning should be pursued.

That's how I did it Russell.

Bootlegge

gitaardocphil wrote:

I didn't expect so much answers, but I was surprised, I only didn't play for about 10 days. The tips are still STRONGER, but before I could play very easy 2-3 hours, now 15 minutes. Because probably a lot of us suffer sometimes from this problem, I post this. I also remarked that playing ELECTRIC is EASIER than ACOUSTIC if you try playing again.

Your right Phil, the gauge of electric strings are thinner and composed of different material because of the magnetic pickup amplifacation. They don't have to produce sound from a chamber like an acoustic guitar does. Thinner strings equal less finger pressure. The more you practice the stronger your finger strength and hardness of your fingertips get. To all that practice regularly look at your fingertips from the nail side of your fingers. If you play alot your fingertips are flat.

Bootlegger.

I'm pretty laid back about learning new songs as it's only a hobby for me just fun.
There has been one piece, my nemisis I call it that's  Mason William's "Classical Gas" and on and off over the years I've tried to master it and never really got it down.
Well what I'm getting to is.
I went back to it recently and after a while of up and the fret board I felt that old feeling my ring finger. It had developed a blister. I Been using a the side of the finger tip and a blister had developed there.
I've played the guitar for years on a regular basis so finger tips are tough but apparently still not immune from beginers pain.
OUCH...

Ark

bootlegger you got any tunes i can give a listen to

bootleger wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:

That's how I did it Russell.

Bootlegge

I also had that self same problem when I stopped playing for a while and then started up again. My fingertips were very sore after 10 minutes but as I played more and more the callouses came back and now I can play for an hour or more now.

My life is brilliant... Of this I'm sure.

It is incredible how the body adjusts--I practiced for a couple hours at home on Sat, then had band practice sat night for 2.5 hrs, Sunday 1.5 hr practice before service, and last night a 2 hour gig at a shelter...my fingers are like cinder blocks today!

i have broken my finger but am digging my thumb nail into my finger tips to keep them damaged enough to not lose my hard earned hard tips lol

Don't Cry because it is over...

smile because it happened.    Gabriel García Marquez

For those of you unfortunate enough not to be able to play your guitar due to injury, a small piece of fine sandpaper will help to keep those hard fingertips in shape to play when you've recovered from your injury.  It's pretty basic, rub the fingers of your chording hand on the fine sandpaper several times throughout the day, every day and this will help your cause. It seems bizarre but it really works. It's all about tearing down and rebuilding. This is what the skin on the fingertips are doing and it will ease the pain when you are able to resume your guitar playing.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

thanks paw ill try this!!

Don't Cry because it is over...

smile because it happened.    Gabriel García Marquez

That's what I do when the tips starts getting bits of skin sticking up after playing for a time then I just sand them smooth, easy really. lol

My life is brilliant... Of this I'm sure.

Had that happen the other day, Doc.  I've only been able to play for ten or fifteen minutes instead of my usual hour or so.  Then when I got the chance to play for an hour two nights ago, my fingers were throbbing.  It felt good, actually.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude