You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-04 10:56:04

admin
Moderator.

Please comment

If you have tried JamPlay - or even just reviewed the free sample courses - please tell us what you think.

#2 2007-09-20 16:22:55

deaken316

Re: Please comment

I just did a free lesson on back in black I liked it a lot.

#3 2007-09-25 16:21:12

upyerkilt
Unofficial king of Scotland

I am learning how to finger pick properly on it.

5/5

Great site

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

#4 2007-09-27 17:39:01

SouthPaw41L
Honoured Member

Their approach and technique is different from mine( I'm a guitar instructor) but very much effective and helpful to the beginning gutarist. I prefer to spend a little more time and put greater emphasis on the basic fundamentals(parts of the guitar, tuning, guitar maintenence, string and fretboard identification, pick selection, etc..) It's extremely difficult to change bad habits from an experienced guitarist. It's much more effective to get it right the first go around. All instructors have their own approach and techniques and the instructors on JamPlay are very capable and insightful instructors.

The modern world is the child of doubt and inquiry, as the ancient world was the child of fear and faith.

#5 2007-10-01 15:57:38

JamPlay

SouthPaw: We actually have quite a few lessons on the basic fundamentals you mentioned. We have 4 phase 1 series that all start with what you mentioned: buying a guitar, tunning your guitar, knowing the parts / anatomy of it, how it works, string selection and then into picking / fretting basics.

A full list of what we teach is available here.

JamPlay.com - Online guitar lessons.

#6 2007-10-12 19:50:11

jaminfesteddonkey
Website

I Think Jamplay is brilliant.

#7 2007-11-07 12:02:12

eftpos

Um Jamplay I realise that this is your product but I've been put off already by your comments in here and the other threads I have read. You are like a telemarketer on the net. Let people settle with the free lessons first instead of jumping on everyone who posts here. Let time do its thing. You've got a great product, don't spoil it with enthusiasium. (sp)

#8 2007-12-07 11:37:13

george1020

Hey hi guys im new to this site,,,, but im always ready to help so just tell me the song name and i'll send you right away through E-mail

#9 2007-12-15 17:40:41

kayharley

I'm also new to this site and after checking out the free lessons I signed up for the monthly membership.

Although I am not new to the guitar, I never had any formal lessons....never knew each finger had it's own fret to play. lol
I found even the beginner exercises good for me.

Steve is a very personable guy with a nice voice and mannerism and a sense of humor...that's important.

#10 2008-02-03 10:57:38

mipooh

I am new here and immediately checked out jamplay. The free lesson was good and so I think I will subscribe. At the moment I have 45 min every week with a teacher and pay as much as the yearly subsription for jamplay per month. Simple questions reduce my time for learning with the teacher, time runs out fast every time.
I will give it a try and cancel my lessons with the teacher here, so after one month I can look at it as 11 months for free. So what, if it will not bring the results I hope for. But if the quality stays same as the one of the free lesson, I don´t think, I have to regret.

Good idea to offer and I hope good idea to join.

#11 2008-02-03 19:25:03

Roger Guppy
The Laid Back Moderator
Website

Hi mipooh,

Welcome to Chordie. Please keep us informed of your progress with JamPlay, it will be interesting to others who are thinking of learning this way to hear how you are getting on. Of course you can always ask question on the Forum too as there are people with all levels of skill willing to help.

Take care,

Roger

“Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything.” -Plato
Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. (George Bernard Shaw)
Do, or do not. There is no try. (Yoda)

#12 2008-02-21 01:57:35

sdbourque

Just watched the free lesson about bar chords. Eureka !!! It all came together in conjunction with my real life teacher it's like a light bulb went off. I instantly new how to play almost any chord I needed.

Thanks Steve

#13 2008-03-05 09:45:56

mipooh

After a while of looking at their videos my mind changed a bit. It is quite basic what they offer and it is quite limited.
Cannot say it would not be worth the money... but if you are advanced you will not find too interesting stuff.
Maybe some years later...

#14 2008-04-01 02:12:23

Montana W.

it jam play free or do u pay for it. just wondering:)

#15 2008-04-06 03:58:56

somethingsrockin

I am a member of Jamplay!!  I love it big_smile  I found a discount code "OLG" that got me 5% off so I signed up for a year... works out to about $9.50 a month.  They are always adding lessons and songs etc.  over 6k minutes as of today.

#16 2008-06-23 17:47:02

Headcase

I'm new on this site. And yes i have been looking at the Jamplay free lessons.
I think i might take a year long corse?  I started playing last September 2007, I will be sixty-three this September 2008.
Do you guys think it's too late to learn at my age.
Lots of luck to all.

#17 2008-07-04 14:22:18

Headcase

I posted some comments on Chordie about  JamPlay I am thinking about taking a Years  Corse.  But I have one querry left before I sign up; perhaps one of the Administrators' could answer it.  If I take out a years Membership, will I be able to study any of the corses or even all of them; or are you restriced to one type of lession.
I would love an answer Quickly since i really want to get started as i said in my previous post I'm Sixty-Two, Sixty- Three this year, or is it too late.
Lots of Luck to All.

#18 2008-07-04 19:08:29

Roger Guppy
The Laid Back Moderator
Website

Hi Headcase,

I am sorry I missed your previous message.

You are NEVER too old to learn the guitar, OK you may never be a Hank Marvin but you can certainly get a lot of pleasure and make new friends from the experience so go for it.

As for the Jamplay lessons I am afraid I cannot answer for them, I have however written to them and requested that they reply to your query. As an afterthought if you visit the Jamplay.com site you can go to their 'Contact Us' page and ask them direct.

If you do take the course it would be helpful if you could post a message here from time to time to lett us know how you are getting on.

Roger

“Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything.” -Plato
Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. (George Bernard Shaw)
Do, or do not. There is no try. (Yoda)

#19 2008-07-04 22:26:38

Headcase

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch with JamPlay.  I did in fact get in touch with them myself, and got a return E-Mail it answered all my questions, especialy the one about age, as you did.
As I am a member of Chordie I will be glad to keep you up-dated on my progress, I will be starting the corse at the end of August as I will be in America most of August.
Luck to All,

#20 2008-07-28 02:20:58

SmartRider

I belong to JamPlay and have been a member since October 2007.  Great site.  It has so much to offer...  many different teachers and styles.... if someone is not learning from it.. it is their own fault.  20 bucks a month is nothing much considering most will pay that for 1 single lesson.  the instructors do chat with students and answer specific questions and sometime they give a video response if they think it will benefit others.  Money well spent.  Hope this helps.

#21 2008-07-28 17:06:30

amx13

Same thing for me, I´ve been a Jamplay member since april 2008 and I just love the site. A lot of help and support from all the people there, different styles and levels you can choose from. I havent seen a better online site to learn guitar.

#22 2008-07-29 01:02:24

lynxpilot

I looked at the free samples and went through a few.  Looks like they could potentially be really useful.  I liked the approach.  Presentation might need a bit of brush-up though.  Lots of uh's and um's and pregnant pauses.

Bottom line is I'm considering jumping into the annual access.  I'm sure it's quite helpful either way for somebody like me and my meager, lowly level of experience.

#23 2008-08-25 04:24:56

JPH309

Wow what can I say! This is fun, Idon't have to listen over&over ,it's too easy I'm afraid I'll get lazy. This is my first day and I've printed A bunch of songs. Would like to get to know some of you'll.I don't want to give my address, but you have my premission to ask the chordie gang if you are A member. I would like to get some help on any guitar related subject. I am JPH309, I don't how you'all do things around chordie, hope to find out. I'm looking for multi-track recording softwear, I don' like the free stuff so far,could use some advice from sombody,I have A pretty nice computor(I think) my first(HP AMD Athlon 64&2 windows vista) I heard it's cool & it's a peice of crap. olny one I've used, so I would'nt know. But  I've had A blast today. well i've got to go out for ink & paper, any help on softwear (m.t. rec) I could use. JPH309 peace&love

I olny get along with real people

#24 2008-08-25 05:27:11

Doug_Smith

Greetings JPH309, and a hearty welcome to chordie!

As you wander around the Chordie forums you will likely find any manner of advise and information that you seek.  There is a community of helpful people composed of members from around the globe, who all share a common interest in music.  Don't be shy about asking questions as you will always get a few answers and opinions from which to glean valuable gems of knowledge.

In the area of advise on recording software you will want to check out the "recording" forum newly started and indexed.  As well as the "Chat corner" topics titled Idea 2, and Audacity, which will surely be a great help to you.

Again Welcome and Take Care;  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

#25 2008-08-31 17:54:44

Headcase

As those who know me, know I inteend to take a years course on Jam Play, wrist alowing?
I have just one problim, perhaps those who are already members could help, when i watch the free lessons either through Chordie or Jam Play itself, the lessons freeze, and i only use the low levlel. I would hate to pay for a chorse and have this problim, my Computer uses Windows XP.
Any advice from anyone taking the course would be great.

Luck to all!!!

Last edited by Headcase (2008-08-31 17:56:24)

Board footer