Topic: The Who - Endless Wire

The Who's new album, Endless Wire, came out yesterday. I highly reccomend it. Anyone who doesnt have it, should probably go out and buy it soon.

For guitar players, listen especially to the second track, Man In A Purple Dress. Townshend's guitar work is nothing short of amazing.

Anyone else get the album? what do you have to say?

Re: The Who - Endless Wire

nope not got this one from them yet, but no doubt I will be going out and getting it tomorrow.

No matter wha tanyone says if it is good or bad, I need this album for my collection, it will be my first WHO cd, all the rest I have are on vinyl.

cheers

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Yep, got this one earlier in the week.

A bloody good album and well worth having in your collection. A long time coming and well worth the wait.

A man in a Purple dress and Black widow's eyes are the two stand outs for me.

The best Rock group ever in my humble opinion.

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.

Right, now I have had it a week or so now  iwould like to say, Not what I expected at all. A bit more laid back for the who but then they are in their 60's now.

BUT, what a magnificent album and doesnt matter the age ( well maybe for the vocals,lol) the guitar playing is tremendious, very good guitar work in it.

If people like acoustic sounding great guitar playing then this is the cd to get and learn. I am not good enough to play what pete townshend plays but that doesnt stop me loving his playing.

4.897 out of 5 score from me

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I don't yet have this album, but i echo the sentiment that The Who are the best Rock band ever. I've been put off buying the latest album by the fact that I saw them live at Leeds Uni this summer and it was the most disappointing gig I've ever been to. And I saw The Stranglers on the tour when the only appearance made by Hugh Cornwell was on the posters so I'm no stranger to disappointment.

One thing that struck me in the live performance, Why do they have an extra guitarist? You couldn't hear what Townshend was playing and I'm afraid Mr Daltrey's old age based vocal limitations which have been alluded to in this thread already really do shine through in a live performance. Add this to the shambolic nature of the performance, RD actually turned his back on the mike to put his guitar on the stand whilst singing the lyric, "If my fist clenches, crack it open" on behind Blue eyes (A tribute band wouldn't do that!), and I'm in no state of mind to line their pockets much further. Particularly after the great man then went on Newsnight and said, "The Who is a brand not a band.". Do we really need this management speak rubbish from our heroes? In his defence though, I'm afraid I entirely agree.

If the album is good though, I'm glad and I will probably end up buying it. Like I say, I think they are or at least were the best rock band ever and Townshend's songwriting is out of the top drawer. I'll never go and see a show again though.

Sorry for the rant. I still love the Who.

What you say makes some sense, dwv, but i'll have to say a few things.

I also have to ask a question, were the Who the only band who played at Leeds this summer? besides their warm-up band? if yes, then i'm suprised. If no, then it makes more sense. I saw them in Philadelphia for their first tour in North America in five years, and i have to say that it was phenomenal. and i've seen my share of concerts. A possible reason was that they were more prepared to give it their all, when no other bands were taking away from the feel of the concert. Or it could have been they were psyched for performing in America for the first time in a while. Who knows?

Well, i will admit that their cd is considerably better than their performance. The only song i cant stand listening to is In The Ether, which is sung by Pete in a much lower key than he's used to (i hate to insult him, but it sounds like a walrus belching). And about never seeing a show by them again, well, personally i think that there may not be any more shows for these antiques.

As a songwriter, Petes' still my favorite though. I mean, just for the quantity of songs he's put out. Basically all of the Who's hits, then four or five years of his own stuff, and now even more songs. Its insane!

But i get off topic. thanks for the insight.