Topic: BANNED SONGS USA versus EUROPE

I am aware of the fact that the USA has the record of having religions. So I respect every religion and I don't wan to offend or criticise RELIGIONS.
- What I like to know is the top 5 of CHURCHES
- SONGS BANNED because of some lyrics. See the DOORS with LIGHT MY FIRE, where they were not allowed to sing ...much higher. Jose Feliciano, had a huge hit with that same song and hiss lyrics are the same. So are there in 2008 different approaches, or is it still as 40 years ago?
So what about today?
- If you listen to rappers like 50 cent, P.Diddy, are these songs broadcasted? Are there radiostations who refuse to play songs, containing some, what's called "EXPLICIT  LYRICS"?
- About some words or phrases THERE IS A DIFFERENT INTERPRETATION, some English words have completely different "meanings" or are "slang"
- How do you "handle" some of the "explicit lyrics", on television or radio, replaced by a beep?
- They used to burn in public some > 1000 albums, Today?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: BANNED SONGS USA versus EUROPE

My guess at the "Top 5" churches, based solely on recognizability (in the US):

1-Catholic
2-Baptist/Methodist/Etc. (All protestant churches)
3-Mormon
4-Jehova's Witnesses
5-Agnostic and/or Atheists

Above list is purely a guess based on my limited perspective and subjective opinion.

About the banning of songs:

In the US there was a time when the religious right made a lot of policy decisions. Songs, books, movies, and any other art form deemed "offensive" or "obscene" was apt to be banned from airwaves, as well as from the store shelves. From what I understand, this banning was a very subjective process based on the opinion of the legislator. (i.e. Senator/Congressman/other elected official).  The statement was made by a Senator (I think) during the Larry Flynt obscenity hearings that "I cannot give you a definition of obscenity, but I know it when I see it."

While I do not think this is what a forward-thinking leader of the world should be doing, those doing it were elected, and often re-elected, by our democratic system. The answer is not to burn their house down, but to vote for the other guy/gal.

Today, we don't ban records or movies or books, but, instead, put lables on them saying "Explicit lyrics", and most songs are released in two versions - "Explicit" and "Radio Edit", which has all the naughty bits removed (ouch! yikes). Since the days of rampant bannings, we have developed a rating system for movies and, more recently, TV shows so that parents know what movies and programs are appropriate for their children. These rating systems seem to have removed some of the burden of responsibility from the production companies, and much racier programming has been showing up on TV lately (over the last five years or so).

And I haven't heard of a book or album burning in quite a long while. I think I would view something like that in much the same vain as a Witch Trial.

Just my opinions. I certainly do not speak for anyone other than myself.

Just play

You want banned songs?

Joe Hill had some banninated songs.  They shot him for them.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

They banned  'Six months in a leaky boat" by Split Enz in England during the Falklands War !! So they just played Cliff Richards ' Wer'e all going on a Summer Holiday" instead if I remember correctly

A five yr old could understand this. Somebody fetch a five yr old !
Groucho Marx

OldNewbie, I burned a book not long ago.  I was cleaning up my office at home and came across a college text book that I couldn't stand.  Horrible book.  Just seeing it made me remember how much I loathed the book.  So I used it for kindling and sipped on a bourbon while watching little bitty particles of it float up the chimney.  I made me feel warm inside.  Other than that, no I don't think we've having book burnings.  There was that goofiness with the Dixie Chicks wherein people burned their CDs and then later decided they liked the music and went out to buy replacements, but that wasn't the church influence that was run-of-the-mill kneejerk stupidity. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf... I love the warm feeling I get from bourbon, I mean satisfaction!  smile

Yeah, we have burnings, but nowadays they are good ol' capitalist demonstrations as opposed to governmental control.

(I have part of a half-gallon of Wild Turkey, Zurf, if you want to come over and burn some stuff!)

Just play

Wild Turkey.  Yum. 

Since Jack Daniels went to 80 proof, I have been checking out other bourbons.  For years I was a JD fan.  When they went from 90 proof to 86 proof, I stuck with them.  When they went from 86 proof to 80 proof, I didn't see the point of continued loyalty.  So I've been trying some alternatives.  Jim Beam, not so much.  OK for mixing with ginger ale but not a sipping whiskey to me.  Wild Turkey is good.  Good either mixed or straight.  I tried the 101 proof and didn't care for it.  Too much kick, not enough flavor.  Anyway, good old-fashioned Wild Turkey has a strong flavor that stands up to mixers well.  I particularly like it with a little Coke (the drink, not the powder).  I tried Southern Comfort, which is really a whiskey based liquor (or however you spell lick-core).  Good on ice, but very, very sweet.  Then I found some Elijah Craig 12 year aged on sale and have a new favorite.  It's even 87 proof and less expensive than JD.  On ice, I prefer to put just a little tiny splash of ginger ale or lime juice or Triple Sec in it.   Very nice to sip on slllllloooooowwwwwwlllllllllyyyyyy.  It'll put a hurt on you if you go too fast and while some chordians seem to prefer that, I'm not in favor of it for myself. 

Burning stuff is good too.  We should do that in the Spring, which is getting awful close.  Beat some songs out on our flat-tops, sing loud, sip bourbon, and burn stuff.  Now that sounds like a party!

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

PAR-TAY!

Musically speaking, you should try the Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Very nice for sipping.

I am certainly a slow sipper as opposed to a chugger. (at least since I hit 35 or so...)

I guess everything slows down with time.

We will need to plan something! I work for our local minor league baseball team, so it will have to be a time when they are on the road, and when I am not fishing! But there is always time for a bourbon-drinking, stuff-burning, guitar-playing jamboree!

(sorry for the hijacking, Doc. back to music and bannings, and such...)

Just play

9 (edited by dguyton 2008-02-22 14:57:47)

Hey, I don't drink much, but I have a peice of crap Ovation I'd certainly like to thow into a bonfire.  I'm not sure if everyone else could put up with the burning plastic smell, but I'm thinking it would smell pretty good to me.

Count me in.  Where is this shindig going to be?

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

I think dead kennedys song " holiday in cambodia" was also banned. this was wrote during the famine of Cambodia in the early 80's
brilliant song though

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

11 (edited by Zurf 2008-02-22 17:04:31)

OldNewbie - Fishing, bourbon, guitar playing, and slowing down with age.  Sure you aren't me?  I think we can work something out here.  I'm going to e-mail you an invitation that will include guitar playing, bourbon drinking, and fishing all at once.  Well, maybe not at exactly the same time, but over the course of the same event. 

Doc - Sorry for hijacking the thread, but there's whiskey and fishing to be considered.  I hope you understand. 

Dguyton - Depends on where Central Flatland is.  OldNewbie lives just down the road from me a piece.  About 20 miles. 

- Zurf