Topic: Lets see how for we can go with this

A song, any song, has many aspects to it from vocals, melody, rythem and lyrics. Everything has to go together in order to make a song complete. If you had to pick one aspect of a song that really defines it what would it be?

The beat?
The harmony?
The vocals?
The story?
The lead?
The rythem?
Other comments?

Nela

Re: Lets see how for we can go with this

syncopation

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Hi Nela ,
   If the song is good , it's all good , but that said I would have to go with
   The Story..
   The Rhythm..
   The Vocals..
          in that order.......
   Everything else in icing on the cake..........

( Could someone tell me what syncopation is , I'm self taught and don't remember seeing that before ??? )

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Like GSE, I think in the best songs, all the elements come together (syncopation?) to make a memorable song that moves people in some way (to laugh, to cry, to think, or just to dance).

I also think that if one element is particularly strong, it can make up for weaker elements. I may be alone in my opinion here, but Bob Dylan's songs were strong in the lyrics department, and his playing was better than average. These two combined to make his vocals a non-issue. Bob was never known as a voice, but as a poet.

Likewise, the strong rythm and backbeat along with unique and pleasant vocals of many performers from the 50s carried somewhat weak or cliche lyrics. (The Everly Brothers, Buddy Holly, and Ricky Nelson come to mind).

Another approach is to be so unique, as to demand attention. Johnny Cash had absolutely no vocal range, and mediocre guitar playing skills, but his unique sound and "bad boy" persona made him the sensation he was, and still is!

Interesting thread, it will be neat to see others' responses.

Just play

Oldnewby ,
   Thanx fer bein ma dixanery,
   All you said is absolutely true , could'nt have said it better myself . Bob Dylan's
voice was not among his many virtues .
   I don't and will never have the singing voice that I wish I had , and yet at jams when I have done some of my own songs , there is nary a dry eye in the place ........( unless of course they were feeling sorry for themselves having to listen to my voice ).
L O L...
   But as you said , I think content and how well the music is played can make up for a lot............

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "