Topic: How to find songs; Google Tips

Chordie indexes many thousands of songs, but there are some artists and songs that just don't show up (yet) on the chordie lists. If what you seek is not listed on chordie, try finding it using Google.

When you are looking for a song, a simple Google search can yield happy results if you use these tips:

Enter something like this into the Google search blank:

song title artist name chords lyrics

Then, just hit the search button.

For example:

til it shines bob seger chords lyrics

Be careful to spell the song's title and artist's name correctly.

Also, be sure to put the 'chords lyrics' words into the search.

Sifting through the various results you get might take a little time.

Generally, what you seeking will be within the first few results.  However, sometimes you will need to dig a little deeper.

Also, the song you seek might be already indexed in chordie under a different artist's name.  So, always try the "text search" on here on chordie - you never know what will pop up.  Use either the song's title or a disctinctive phrase from the lyric.

Another tip is to Google up just the artist's name and find fan sites.  These sites often have lyrics and chords somewhere, or they may link to another site with the artist's songs.  Some fan sites also have a forum where you might be able to get in touch with somebody who share's your interest in that particular artist.

If a song has been covered by other artists, the fan sites might also note who recorded the song you seek.  If that is the case, start a new Google (or chordie) search using the covering artist's name.

If you are looking for something by an artist that was active in pre-internet times, then your best bet might be just to purchase a songbook.  Amazon and eBay have listings for published songbooks.

The way I first 'discovered' chordie was while searching for lyrics and chords for "When I Paint My Masterpiece" by Dylan and the Band.  I found what I was looking for,  plus I discovered one of the coolest sites on the net!

If anybody else has some song search tips - please share them here.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Re: How to find songs; Google Tips

Thanks for the tips.

happy Holidays,