51 (edited by Guitarpix 2008-06-01 13:15:07)

Re: barre chords?

Hey Cameron, Lets look first at E shaped barre chords. The chord is based on the root note which is the E string of E shaped barre chords. So lets look at the E string going up the fretboard.
E string open = E
1st fret = F
2nd fret = F#
3rd = G
4th = G#
5th = A
6th = A#
7th = B
8th = C
9th = C#
10th= D
11th = D#
12 th is E again.

So it goes in this order E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D#   You'll notice that all chords move in half steps with the exception of E to F and B to C. The # symbol represents a sharp chord. It can also be considered a flat chord... for example a A# on 6th fret can be considered an A Sharp or a B flat. A flat chord is usually reprsented with a lower case b (for example a E shaped barre chord on the 4th fret may be shown as G# or Ab) the same rules apply to A shaped barre chords.

A string open is A
1st = A# or Bb
2nd =B
3rd = C
4th = C# or Db
5th = D
6th = D# or Eb
7th = E
8th = F
9th = F# or Gb
10th = G
11th = G# or Ab
12 th repeats the cycle going back to A

Hope that was fairly understandable...lol Peace!

BTW... have to ask what part of NC you call home?

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Hi Guitarpix,

Thanks for the info, Guess I should have been a little more specfic, I understand the notes, I should have said that I was looking for finger placements for each barre chord, even though I think I have a pretty good idea, just wanted to check behind myself and be sure, but again thanks for your help...anyway, I from outside of Lexington NC...out in the country, it's in what I guess is considered the Triad...near High Point, Greensboro, Winston Salem area..what about you Guitarpix, what part are you from?...anyone else near here?

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Hey Cam - I'm a neighbor - I live in Lewisville - just outside of Winston-Salem.

As for your barre chord question - That's the beauty of them - the fingerings are the same. Move the E shape up the neck, get all of the chords Pix mentioned in his first list. The second list is for the A shape - same fingering all way up.

Here's a justin sandercoe lesson that may be helpful (donate if you can!)

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/CH-006-BasicBarres.php

Let's get together for a strum sometime!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Hey Cam, I call Chadbourn home. A small town between Lumberton and Wilmington. I'm about 2.5 hrs. from ya. Well we've got 3 chordians fairly close together... We need to organize a jam session sometime!

As far as the fingerings... Assuming you know the F (133211) We'll start with that fingering. Lift your middle finger (133111) and you have a Fm. Simply doing this on any E shaped barre chord will make that chord a minor. Lift your pinky finger and you turn it to a 7th chord.

On your A shapped Barre chords like B (x24442), To make it a minor you just form an E shaped barre chord on the same strings. So a Bm would be x24432. Just like a F# but lowered one string. Same rule applys for 7th chords just lift you pinky.
Hope that was more along the lines of what you were looking for.. Peace! -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

55 (edited by cameronkl7 2008-06-02 00:42:06)

Hi Guitarpix, and Topdown,

I really appreciate you guys help, it's nice to know others from North Carolina..I've been up, or over to Lewisville a few times, and while I've been to Lumberton and Wilmington a few times, not sure I've been through your town "Chadbourne", but anyway..it's great to hear from you both. I have a son who lives in Wilmington however. I love playing around with the guitar, and while I'm not much good at it, I am beggining to get much better than I ever hoped I might, as they say...practice, practice, practice...I've gotten so much help here on Chordie, from the songs, the people, and all the posts on here. I wish I had a friend who plays that could teach me some things, everything I've learned I've just read, practiced, read some more, practiced some more and on and on. I try new things all the time, and with the help I've gotten on here..well...it's been lots of fun. Again I'm glad to know you two guys are close by here in NC...thanks again guys!

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Pick one or 2 tunes which you like that have barre chords in and just play em....the most importand thing is not to worry what it sounds like, but make sure you are aware of the position for each chord, and just play em as a warm up for your regular practise session you will start to improve so long as you keep at it.

If its too loud yer too old.