Topic: Walk Down's

Don't know if this is actually a "theory" issue...I bet is is...all about how the notes in a chord relate to eachother I'm guessing--but somebody talk to me about "walk down's", like you hear in dern near every blues song in the world.

Re: Walk Down's

Yeah, 'splain walk downs, walk ups and turn arounds. I have problems when playing with a strum pattern, such as 1, 2 & 3 & 4 & 1. When " walking" to the the next chord in the progression would the 3 walk down notes (in the above pattern) be played on beats & 4 &? I understand "turn arounds" fairly well but since they too help lead into the next chord of a progerssion this might all tye in together. Thanks for the 'splaining.

Nela

Well, here's my idea on walk-ups or walk-downs in a bass line, and this comes from my bass playing and not my guitar playing.  I'm not skilled enough with the guitar to do a reasonable walk-down.  So, bear that in mind.

Let's say you're going from G to D.  I'd use the second and third notes in the G chord and then jump right to D (the fifth).  If you're playing a blues song, use a flatted third.  That's a practical walk-up. 

Sometimes what I like to do is to jump to the octave, so I'll play a low G on the third fret of the E string then jump up to the fifth fret on the D string to hit another G and then use the flatted seventh, the sixth, and then on down to the fifth.  There's a practical walk-down. 

Another bit of advice is that if you play your walk-ups and walk-downs really fast and hit a wrong note that isn't emphasized, you can just shrug and say "That's the blues, baby.  That's the blues." 

Anyway, the point is that I pretend that the base chord from which you're changing is a scale, and then I use select notes from that scale - mostly the second, the third (or flatted third), the fourth, and the flatted seventh (and less often the seventh, but that has a very bright feel to it and I am usually playing bass for folk or blues and don't want so much of a "major" feel - it works good for Country though). 

I'm not saying this is "right".  I'm just saying it's what I do.

Hope that helps.  If not, a person with actual knowledge will be along directly to help you. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Flattened 3rds are a minor tonality, which is consistent with the blues.

Rule of thumb any time you're playing notes, and you hit a bad one:  No matter where you are on the fretboard, you are at most one fret away from a "correct" note.  i.e.  One that is in key.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]