Topic: acoustic guitar amps

I just picked up a used A/E guitar (Takamine EF508C). It's pretty sweet - solid cedar top, mahogany back, sides & neck. Sounds beautiful and the action is sooo much better than the "beginner" yammy I have been playing.

Anyway - Now that I have an A/E, I feel the need to plug it in! I noticed they sell amps marketed specifically for acoustic guitars and was wondering if there really was any difference between electric and acoustic amps or is it just marketing. I don't envision ever playing out, so I was wondering if any Chordians could recommend a decent, but inexpensive (say under $500) that I could use just for playing in my den/office/music room. I think I would like to have one with a mike input in case someone wants to sing along (or for when I have enough to drink to actually sing myself big_smile )

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Re: acoustic guitar amps

I've got a Crate CA10 acoustic amp. I think there is a difference between them. The sound seems different than playing through a traditional amp. It was very short $ (around 100.00) but I too don't play out. It was simply for the house. The controls are somewhat simplified as well. "Chorus" is about the only knob to play with. Worth a hundred buck if you're a/e is not deep (My Takamine is  shallow) but I don't plug in much any more. For 100.00 why not? I'm not sure I'd spend much more. I think they make a CA30 as well.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Congrats on your new Takamine!  I have recently bought a G series for my girlfriend as well! 

Crate makes excellent acoustic amps!  Personally, I like the CA-30 a bit better.  Also, take a look at Roland keyboard amplifiers too (KC series!)  Most people never think of it, but it's a bit less expensive than an acoustic guitar amp, but the sound is just as good.  Plus, they have more features including three inputs with separate volume controls!  So, you are gig ready with both guitar and microphone!

4 (edited by Guitarpix 2008-03-23 05:20:10)

Hey Tops! Congrats!! You got pics?  As far as acoustic amps.. I'd look at the Ultrasound line  http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ … sku=488507  and the fender acoutasonic http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ … sku=480728  The rolands are a decent value also http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ … sku=480176  I have a Ultrasound ag-50 and love it. I also have a hughes & kettner montana acoustic 60 that performs really well. 

As far as the diffrence...Yes there's a huge sound diffrence between an acoustic amp and an electric amp. I have a stack and a couple of small electric amps that I used prior to the acoustic amps and the diffrence was really remarkable with going to a QUALITY acoustic amp. Best of luck in your search! Peace! Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Ye-haw topdown! Tak's are great guitars. As far as a good sounding acoustic amp that'll do your new guitar and 'yer voice justice, I like the Marshall solo acoustic 50watt amps. I have 2 of them and use 'em for my smaller gigs. They sound fantastic. I tried the Crate amps and they sounded nice with my guitar but my vocals sounded like I was singing with a coffee can over my head. The Marshall, in my world at least, is the far better amp. You can get a brand , spanking, new one for well under the price you're wanting to spend too.

Give everything but up.

SouthPaw41L wrote:

Ye-haw topdown! Tak's are great guitars. As far as a good sounding acoustic amp that'll do your new guitar and 'yer voice justice, I like the Marshall solo acoustic 50watt amps. I have 2 of them and use 'em for my smaller gigs. They sound fantastic. I tried the Crate amps and they sounded nice with my guitar but my vocals sounded like I was singing with a coffee can over my head. The Marshall, in my world at least, is the far better amp. You can get a brand , spanking, new one for well under the price you're wanting to spend too.

Good recommendation! I've heard lots of good things about these amps but have never had the pleasure of trying or hearing one personally.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

I have a Takamine A/E that I play thru a Roland (Acoustic) AC-60 amp. This is a small sized amp with a HUGE sound. List price i about $499.00 but can be found cheaper with a little shopping around. Usually around $399.00 street. This amp has 2 30 amp speakers with chorus and a whole lotta other speakers. This is one great amp and I would recommend it to anyone. Just do a search for Roland amps and "read all about it". Roland has just came out with a new amp, AC-90, that has 2 45 amp speakers for an even bigger sound. A acoustic amp is the only way to go if you want a true sound from your acoustic guitar. Several good one's out there, go to a good music store and try several out and buy the one that suits you the best.

Nela

This might be something to consider ...
I bought a 6 channel Fender mixer and 2 Peavey monitors to play my acoustic through..The good thing about it is I have room for friends that come over to plug into and  it has mic inputs...My cousin even runs his bass through it..We plug a keyboard into it and use the drum beat from it..and we can blend the sound so that 1 instrument isnt overriding another...It has inputs to plug in a cd player and i can jam right along with the cd...I give right at 500 bucks for all of it including 2 25 ft cords...It works good for me ..

Thanks all for the recommendations and advise - I'll check them all out.

Pix - I'll try to get some pics up on flickr if I can figure out how later today. If I can't figure it out, I'll email ya!

Pix (and anyone else interested). I uploaded a few photos of my Tak on flickr. Linkage:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23057346@N07/

Sweet!...Theres only one thing wrong with it...........Its not sitting in my living room....lol

Thanks riddler. Make me an offer and maybe it can be! big_smile (j/k)

Hey Tops, That's a fine looking Tak! I like the rosette and 12th fret inlay, it's diffrent. You planning on posting any more vids? I'd love to hear her sing!

Man the pressure.. first pics and now a vid.... smile OK pix - I promise to get something up by next weekend. I am on the road during the week for work and I doubt I'll get anything up tonight. When I do, I'll let ya know!

I have a Peavey PA-120 amp head to go with my 4/12 speaker cabinet (200) watts). The amp head has a master channel and 4 auxillary channels that can all be used. While I get a better sound with this set up than I do with my regular electric amp when playing acoustic it still does not sound as good as my Roland AC-60 acoustic amp. I would still recommend a acoustic or key board amp over playing thru the amp head and cabinets. We have a regular group that play's music twice a month and when I get to set in I always miss the sound I get from my acoustic amp when I play thru their sound system (I'm usually the only one playing a electric / acoustic) But that's just me.

Nela

Hey Topdown, I have had a few different acoustic amps and recently purchased a Fender Ultralight Acoustasonic. I it is a very small package and a little spendy I paid about  $850. but unbelievable sound.I am thrilled every time i use it. If you get an opportunity check one out.

Thanks Wayne

Later, Wayne P

Three great amps are SWR, Trace Elliott and Fishman. I have played them all I own a Trace Elliott My friend owns a fishman. Try them out before you buy anything. They are more money but well worth it.

The best acoustic amp I ever played on is a MARSHALL 100W = AS100D, 2x50W.
699$ on musician's friend AND MAXIMUM RATING, 100% 23 ratings.
This amp is also the most perfect amp to play with a hollow body electric guitar, you can use all guitars on the world on these "acoustic amp", they will give you the purest tone and sound ever heard, and I tried a lot of amps.
DO NOT TAKE the 50W amp, why? Plug your guitar in a 50W, followed by a 100W and you'll hear.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Another idea for you:
Myself and friends do a lot of parking lot jams where we don't have a place to plug in, so we have battery-powered amps.  What I use is a Fender Amp Can and several of the others have Peavey Solos.  Lately I've seen a few of the Crate Taxi models, too.  All give you instrument/mic and enough control to adjust levels and sound a little bit.  We play with traffic noise and there are enough listeners and noise-makers that we can't get away with being unplugged entirely, but we don't need high volume.  They're pretty reasonably priced and a nice addition to whatever sound stuff you may already have.

I use an older Crate CA-60 and/or my PA setup for when I need bigger acoustic sound.  My Crate Vintage Club 50 and Fender Deville don't work as well acoustically and I like the mike option on the CA-60.

Hi guys ,
   I'm surprised no one has mentioned the often overlooked Peavey KBs .
   I've owned two of them over the years . The first one was a KB 60 , paid fifty used .
Loved it , like an idiot I sold it . Then I found a KB/A 60 ,
( paid seventy five used ) ,
that I will never give up .
  They both run two channels , with two inputs each , 50 watts , and full range EQ and reverb .
   They're actually keyboard amps , so they'll handle the whole range , low , mid , high . Excellent for vocals too.
   I'm actually keeping my eyes open now for the larger version , KB 100 or KB/A 100
for our outdoor jams . The 100 has three channels .
  These things are bullet proof ............
   I also have a six channel powered mixer that we use sometimes , 150 watts , and
that thing just does'nt have the snort that the Peavey has...............

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

GSE,
I see Peavey KBs on CraigsList in the Orlando area frequently.  Early this month was a KB/A 100 and before that a KB 300.  Might still have them.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/search/ms … maxAsk=max

Thanks for the tip Murky ,
  I searched craigslist in my area , but nothing right now .
Will check it from time to time though .
   Thanks again.......Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

gitaardocphil wrote:

The best acoustic amp I ever played on is a MARSHALL 100W = AS100D, 2x50W.
699$ on musician's friend AND MAXIMUM RATING, 100% 23 ratings.
This amp is also the most perfect amp to play with a hollow body electric guitar, you can use all guitars on the world on these "acoustic amp", they will give you the purest tone and sound ever heard, and I tried a lot of amps.
DO NOT TAKE the 50W amp, why? Plug your guitar in a 50W, followed by a 100W and you'll hear.

If one is playing a smaller venue the 50watt Marshall Soloist is plenty of power to sufficiently fill a room. I've played through the 100watt Marshall and the sounds are identical, quality wise, the 100watt is a lot louder but sometimes more is not better. For me personally the $700 price tag for the 100watt soloist doesn't justify the extra $300 I would've spent. I play 80% of my gigs with my 50watt Marshall soloist and it always has plenty enough volume and quality. More than once I've had musicians in the crowds ask me what I was running my 50watt Marshall into. They thought it was hooked into a house system or the like. It's plenty enough power for a low key, small club/resort.

Give everything but up.

24 (edited by jsteven2020 2008-06-30 10:37:21)

Re: Acoustic Guitar Amps
What an awesome article on "Acoustic Guitar Amps". I always had my doubts about guitar and wanted to know more about it. Your explanation was elaborate enough to clear my doubts on “Guitar� . I am sure it has helped a lot of people out there.
------------------------------------
Jack Steven
It's no secret that Fender makes great guitar amps, but which one is the best? We think it's the Blues Junior. Find out why.
http://fenderbluesjunioramps.com

I was also trying to decide on what was best for me, and we are all after one thing--the best sound we can afford. Luckily , size was not a concern as I have a vehicle to schlep my stuff to and fro the gig. Size shmize....its about the sound really. And the price...
  I wanted to be flexible so I bought a small mixer and a powered speaker. I have a Mackie 6 channel mixer and Yorkville NX55P. I did get two speakers, but used only one until I could afford the second, and it worked out great. Adding a sub,I can also use this with my trio in medium rooms.
   My opinion is that the combo style guitar amps for acoustic guitar sounded like a compromise,which they are , IMO. They are about convenience/budget more than performance. I did not try the Schertler's but they are supposed to rock mightily. I like having more sound than I need, and this rig was just over a grand(one speaker is around 850 Cdn). The mixer was just over 200.
   I hate to sound like a schnob but I dont want to hear someone playing AND singing thru a low end sounding rig. If it does not sound low end, then great.
  So....

One Yorkville NX 55 -P  +  Mackie DFX 12  = $1100 
  None of the combo's were even close to getting the vocals where I can get them with this rig( I use a Beta mic).Adding the 2nd speaker was an expen$e, but once I knew I was going to work regularly, no worries. Sounds better than the Mackie powered mixers, IMO. PLUS--the Yorkville customer support is good here in Ontario.