Topic: Need Info on A-Box or Albert Box???

Greetings,

I started to do some jam sessions with friends who are in a band.  And, he mentioned that most lead guitarists use the A-box or Albert Box technique (hope I'm saying this correctly.)  Can someone please shed some lights on this subject for me?  I would also appreciate any additional information.  I'm still learning scales, so wondering if this is the same thing? 

Thanks!

Re: Need Info on A-Box or Albert Box???

i know your asking to know a bit more about the albert box technique, but as a curious learner i would just like to ask you if you can tell me what it is?

Hi Wayne,

How it was shown to me was an area a lead guitarist would stay in when doing repetitive licks (not sure if I'm saying this right.)  But, when we jam, I would play the rhythm part and my friend would spend his time running leads around the 10th and 12th fret--going back and forth between the 1st and 4th strings.  Thus, forming a "box"! 

He mentioned that most lead guitarists use this technique to create different riffs and licks.  Of course, I'm no expert here, but it looked pretty simple to learn.  I'm just having a hard time finding some basic materials to this. 

Again, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText"><b>WayneHann wrote on Mon, 12 February 2007 20&#58;04</b></td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
i know your asking to know a bit more about the albert box technique, but as a curious learner i would just like to ask you if you can tell me what it is?
</td></tr></table>

Pentatonic scales will create a "box" on the fretboard in which you can play.  For example, using pentatonic patern 1 and 2 creates a 7 fret box.  A good pentatonic scale guide will describe this better.  There are also some good references on line.

Albert's Box is just the part of the pentatonic where Albert King, the great delta bluesman, liked to play his leads.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Jerome,

Thanks very much for your message!  I think you've answered my question.  I'll do more research in the pentatonic scales section.  And, yes, you're right about Albert King.  He was a Blues man, who often used this technique.

Thanks Again,

Kahuna!