Topic: notes

I am new to guitar and so far don't know  many notes or how to strum with timing, etc.   So far I have had someone to write out the "notes" on a tab sheet for me and can pick out the song.  I like playing  this way, however, when I look at a tab sheet here the numbers and strings don't match what i have been given.   

Am I reading this wrong?  For instance the song Yesterday I have 
________________0___2___4______
____________________________0___2____3___2___   (this is just the first few notes)

but on another site the tab reads

F                Em7          A7               Dm        Dm  Dm7  Bb
e|---1-1-1----1-1-----0-0-0----------0-0-0-------------1-1-1----1---1-----1-1-1-|
b|---1-1-1----1-1-----3-3-3----------2-2-2-------------3-3-3----3---3-----3-3-3-|
G|---2-2-2----2-2-----0-0-0----------0-0-0-------------2-2-2----2---2-----3-3-3-|
E|--------------------------------------------------0---------0-----------------|
A|---------------------------------0------------------------------3----1--------|

what am misunderstanding?   when i pick out those notes above (my notes)  it sounds like the song.  Am I confusing notes with tabs?  also, the other one directly above ..... do you play 1 1 2 all at once?  or 1 then 1 then 2 and then start over? 

thank you so much

2 (edited by livebaitman 2008-09-09 19:14:49)

Re: notes

wannaplay - welcome to chordie

I am far from an expert but the first indicates the fret and string for the individual melody notes and the second indicates the fingering for the chords which accompany the melody.  Yes, when the numbers are stacked like that just strum all the strings at once to play the chords.  TAB just refers to this format for displaying individual notes for the melody or fingering for chords.

I see this second one is using only the first 3 strings for the chords which is OK, but the chord names also don't line up over the fingerings properly.

There are lots of folks on here more knowledgeable than myself and willing to help you - keep asking.

Please talk slowly I don't hear good any more.

thank you for the reply.  i think i understand what you are saying.   how can i figure out how to do it the "first way" when i am trying to learn/play a song.  i haven't learned all the chords yet and have found for instant gratification i can play the "first way" (if i have it written that way) and hear the song without really playing chords only. 

here is another example of a song someone wrote out for me  amazing grace
                       D                         D                     
         -----------------     -2     -----2 -------- 0  |
------------2-----3------------3  -----3 ---------   |
_____________2______________2________  |
_____________0______________0________  |
_____________0______________0_________|

how do you know to play that "first"2 then the D chord then pick the note 2. 3. then back tp D, then 0?   verses, D strum, then D strum....

i hope that makes sense... 

thanks again for your help!
wannaplay

I think you've got it.  It's a form of cross picking whereby you pick a note in the chord shape corresponding to the melody followed by a chord strum.

Others - don't let me steer him wrong.

Hey!

E -
B 2
G -
D -
A -
E -

Means pick the "B" whilst held on the Second fret. Whether you hold an "A Chord" (I say A because that string would be held down), or whether you simply press down the string with your second finger is entirely up to you, as you are only picking the one string. So on and so forth for tab...

--2--
--3--
--2--
--0--
--X (Most likely to simply be left blank as an ---)
--X (Most likely to simply be left blank as an ---)

Is a Simple D Chord, where you strum the appropriate chords. When there is a 0 it usually means its played open. So if you see

It would be holding down D, whilst strumming all Six strings (hence open).

Your latest qustion,

-----2-------
-2---3---2--
-----2-----3
-----0-------
-------------
-------------

Would indeed be, Pick the "2", then strum a "D", then Pick the "2" then Pick the "3".

Hope that helps.

●████▅▅▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄....▄▄▄
▄▄▅██████▅▄▃▂
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █►
◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲☼◤ -Mr T says: Quit yo jibba Jabba! You Ain't hurt!

thank you guys so much for all the info...  and for taking the time to explain.  i understand what you are saying but what i am trying to figure out it HOW to decide which notes to pick out in a song.   i can't go to someone everytime and ask them to write it out to me..  is there a formula?

for instance i am trying to learn how to play alison by elvis costello,  here are the first chords... 

|  A                                           |  E                                    |
Oh Its so funny   to be seeing you    after so long girl
          |  A                                           | G#m7              C#m    B   | 
and with the way you look I understand that you are not impressed
          |  A                                           | G#m7              C#m    B   | 
but I    heard you  let  that    little            friend  of     mine
          |D                                             |  E                                    |
             take    off     your         party   dress

so how would i determine how  to pick out the notes before and inbetween the next chords?  i hope i am making sense,  and i really appreciate your patience with me...  (refer back  to amazing grace above how i pick the 2 fret then strum the d chord then pick the notes on 2, 3 fret then strum d chord again....  is there a formula that you chose which notes to pick such as the first note of the chord???  i want to pick note, then strum chord, then note or maybe note note then strum then chord. etc... or just pick notes through the whole song and not play chords at all for the hard ones until i learn the chords. 

remember i am really new to this... thanks for the patience!

wannaplay

There is no magic formula to start doing what you are asking about.  I think you need to learn how to finger and play the correct chords first.  Then each individual note in each chord will be in the correct key for the song.  Then you can pick out the best sounding notes matching how your ears hear the melody and use a combination of picking and strumming.  Play what sounds good to you to start with.

Once you get somewhat comfortable doing this you can then begin learning scales which match the key of the song.  Here is where the magic formulas start to come in to play.

I think most would agree you should learn playing chords to the rythm first before you dive into learning scales and playing lead.  Then you will better understand how notes in a chord are the notes in the scale for the key of the song.

OK, I'm in over my head here.........others need to chime in.

thanks livebaitman,   i know you are right but i am struggling with te rythm and making the chords at the same time.   i am teaching myself because i can't afford lessons.  but my friend has written out several songs that way and i have learned them.  he doesn't have time for lessons so i just pick up what i can when i can.   

i have some beginner books with songs with chords and strumming up down up down.  but like i said i can't keep the rythm that way.  the other way i have learned maybe 5-6 songs and people recognize them when i play them... instant gratifcation...  i guess i need to go back to the very start.  i didn't know that was lead guitar.

thanks again for advice from everyone... i will keep plugging away.

First and foremost, you can't teach rhythm, it comes to you. Some people like to get a metronome, but I would advise against it.

When you play a song, play it how you feel like playing it. You don't have to stick to strumming patterns just because XXXXX does.

If your in trouble, the best piece of advise i can give you, is SLOW IT DOWN. Strum down, whilst saying ONE out loud. Then when you come up say AND out loud. At your own pace. Don't rush things, practice.

As Livebaitman said, First things first, don't rush yourself. Learn your chords, practice them, build up your rhythms in your head, then when it all "clicks" it will be a lot easier.

A very simple pattern to learn is ticket to ride.

1 &  2    &    3   &  4  &
------0------------------0
----------2--------0------
-2------------2-----------
---------------------------
--------------------------
--------------------------

Rinse repeat, if you pick it close to the rhythm it should sound spot on.

●████▅▅▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄....▄▄▄
▄▄▅██████▅▄▃▂
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █►
◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲☼◤ -Mr T says: Quit yo jibba Jabba! You Ain't hurt!