1 (edited by ahmad rayaneh 2008-08-22 15:57:25)

Topic: Some simple Questions... help me:)

Hi friends,
I'm just joined you here now:)
& It's my first post or asking for your help;) hope to help me to play these nice chords in this nice site Better than before,

Now I'm gonna ask you about rhythms of some songs that i'm really confused about them, so let take it easier, i want you tell me how to play enrique's "Be with you" song, & also Celine's My heart... more simply I don't know which guitar rhythms should be used for this song or his "Tired of being sorry" roll
so plz help however you can...
& I'm glad to be helped also about Titanic song (my heart will go on) cool

Re: Some simple Questions... help me:)

sad( help me just about rhythms...

Hello Ahmad and welcome to Chordie,

If you are looking fo me to say you play UUDDUU I am afraid I cannot help you. I see many members asking for rhythm and strum patterns and in 50 years of playing the guitar I have never learnt to play a song that way in my life. In fact when the duration of each 'up' or 'down' can be from a semi-quaver (or smaller) to a semibreve (or longer) to my mind giving 'ups' and 'downs' makes little sense anyway. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Note_value

The only way that I know is to listen to a song until I know it well enough hear it in my mind. Find the chords and then strum what I think goes with the song which may be similar to the original interpretation of it or completely different. I suppose what I am saying is feel the song, feel the rhythm and strum what comes naturally from that.

Sorry if it is not the help you wanted but it is the best I can do.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

The way I usually try to explain this to folk is like this...

Listen to the song, and with your strumming hand hit out the rythm, along with the song, on your leg or something. Like pretend drumming, but with one hand. Once you get into the rythm your hand will be bashing out a beat on your leg and you can usually pick up from that what's an down beat (strum) and what's an upbeat (strum).

It's hard to explain without showing you, but it's the best I can do. smile

But like Roger says, it's all about getting in the groove and feeling the rythm for yourself. After a while it'll become natural. And don't worry if it doesn't sound EXACTLY like the song; the beat is what will carry the song forward and if you're a decent singer then all the better.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

thanks a lot Dear M.r. Guppy & dear friend alvee33 smile

but at all, may you show what ryhtm do you prefer or recommend?

with the ways you sa'id would you say for example for the song "Be with you" what seems the best guitar rhythm to play it with the presented chord in this site?...
maybe then I won't get your time more...;)
thanx again friends

6 (edited by alvee33 2008-09-13 18:58:40)

Hi Ahmad,

If you are using this listing of Be With You

http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.u … ;id=368496

then you will need to put a capo at the 4th fret if you would like to play along with the recording. This may help you find the groove. You could try this strum patern... DDUDUDD

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Ditto Roger Guppy.  That is exactly what I do.  My songs never sound like the original, but they sound like a song. 

I am now trying to learn Kenny Chesney's "Don't Blink" using Mr. Chesney's rhythms and it is downright difficult, so you have my sympathy.  I can play the song easily using my own feel and rhythm, but I am trying to learn it more as a cover than as a re-interpretation.  I understand your frustration. 

Fortunately, there is no law that says when we play a song, we have to play it exactly like the original.  In fact, few of us ever can because the original artist usually has a whole band playing along while we have only ourselves.   We *must* interpret, and armed with that knowledge, we can graciously give ourselves a break from the pressure of perfection. 

That said, you can make DDUUD work on just about any song. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hi Ahmad

If I'm having a go at new song, I try to play along with the original song.
I do it until it gets really boring and then I play it and sing it without the original.

At that point it becomes my song and I’ll do it my way. Then Clare has a go at singing it and we end up doing the song her way.

I firmly believe that in doing covers of other peoples songs, we should change them so they become our own. If we didn't, anybody listening could just put on the CD of the original.

Cheers
Howard

My acoustic trio Website
[url]http://www.accidentallyacoustic.co.uk/[/url]

alvee33 wrote:

The way I usually try to explain this to folk is like this...

Listen to the song, and with your strumming hand hit out the rythm, along with the song, on your leg or something. Like pretend drumming, but with one hand. Once you get into the rythm your hand will be bashing out a beat on your leg and you can usually pick up from that what's an down beat (strum) and what's an upbeat (strum).

That's an excellent explanation of how to learn to Strum