Topic: Determing key

I have a song that contains the chords G, C, D, and Em.  G is the first chord, followed by C, Em, and D.  Does this mean that the song is in G major?

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Re: Determing key

Yes this song is in the key of G major and its' relative minor of E minor. However, the first chord of a song doesn't always indicate that the song  is in that particular chord. It is the progression of  chords that determine the 'key' that the song is in...........

Core         Minor
G                Em
A                F#m
B                 G#m
C                Am
D                 Bm
E                 C#m
F                  Dm

Give everything but up.

Alright then... so lets assume that I'm looking at Time by Pink Floyd.

F#m, A and E make up the first part of the verse...
and then Dmaj7, Amaj7, C#maj7 and Bm7 round out the lighter half.

How do I go about figuring out which key this is in?  I'm also not sure if this would be a key change in between the two parts.  I ask because while Dave is a guitarist to aspire towards, I'm still a ways off.  I just want to be able to play a fair sounding solo, if I have someone else playing the rythm behind it.

Thanks in advance.

SouthPaw41L wrote:

Yes this song is in the key of G major and its' relative minor of E minor. However, the first chord of a song doesn't always indicate that the song  is in that particular chord. It is the progression of  chords that determine the 'key' that the song is in...........

Core         Minor
G                Em
A                F#m
B                 G#m
C                Am
D                 Bm
E                 C#m
F                  Dm

smellie_hippie wrote:

Alright then... so lets assume that I'm looking at Time by Pink Floyd.

F#m, A and E make up the first part of the verse...
and then Dmaj7, Amaj7, C#maj7 and Bm7 round out the lighter half.

How do I go about figuring out which key this is in?  I'm also not sure if this would be a key change in between the two parts.  I ask because while Dave is a guitarist to aspire towards, I'm still a ways off.  I just want to be able to play a fair sounding solo, if I have someone else playing the rythm behind it.

Thanks in advance.

]

Hello smellie_hippie,
In this particular song(Time by Pink Floyd) you're gonna want to play in first part in the key of F#m(or A major). The second part, ;  (solo in Bm, or D major)

Dmaj7    Amaj7 (x2) 
Dmaj7    C#m   Bm7    E     E/F(122100)
back into;
F#m  A   E (And you run and you run.........) (solo in F#m or A major)

the sweet little turnaround(lighter half as you call it) you switch to soloing in  Bm(or D major). I made a few  slight corrections  to your progression.(Dmaj7>Amaj7 one additional time , C#m instead of C#maj7, the added E and E/F chord at the end of the turnaround) Even Gilmour variates his soloing slightly in his live performances so if you're playing in the proper key as the song evolves, I think it'll sound pretty cool to your ears............Best of luck, hope this was helpful to you.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L(proud patchouli wearer!)

Give everything but up.

Thanks SouthPaw!

Now I have a follow-up question.  Which chord is it in those two chord progressions that determine which key the solos are in?

I'm looking for the key factor that decides "Bm scale, my young apprentice..."  Is it the circle of fifths?  Or just trial and error?