Topic: Song no. 2 is up

The vocals are slightly better than my first recording, again some parts are a little awkward, as the tracks son't mesh exactly, but I forgot to use a click track (doh) and by the time I remembered I already had most of the song done.  Hope it's a little better than the first one.  There will be good, final recordings of these and others up in a short time.  Again, feel free to comment.  Thanks!

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Re: Song no. 2 is up

www.myspace.com/stephenhooper

Hi Stephen ,
its a good idea to put your url alongside your new recordings. Its easier to go directly to your site.

Ive listened . Your doing good. Personally i didnt like the heavy intro but thats just me. You Son, always go with what you feel is right.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Hi Stephen,

Definitely an improvement on your first recording but I have to agree with Helena about the intro. To me it did not even belong with the song and I felt it would be improved without it as is as both volume and style it is so radical from the rest. However with careful mixing, perhaps it could be blended in better.

I always listen to music from my PC through headphones and I suggest thst you do too for mixing as you can hear so much clearer to get the panning and balance right.

Keep at it we all get better the more we do and the more we experiment with.

Roger

PS. If you go into your Profile and select Personal you can also add your MySpace Website URL to have it always be displayed with your details on the left of your posting.

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Old Doll wrote:

Hi Stephen ,
its a good idea to put your url alongside your new recordings. Its easier to go directly to your site.

Ive listened . Your doing good. Personally i didnt like the heavy intro but thats just me. You Son, always go with what you feel is right.

Old Doll.

Yeah, I kinda came up with that seperately, and I figured I would try it out, and I think it's better to just do the acoustic strumming in the intro.  Oh well, live and learn.

Switchfoot

06sc500 wrote:

Yeah, I kinda came up with that seperately, and I figured I would try it out, and I think it's better to just do the acoustic strumming in the intro.  Oh well, live and learn.

Hi Stephen,

There is no problem using lead guitar in the intro it usually adds to the overall effect but you must be able to hear both guitars playing. You can play lead guitar all the way through the song with no problem but you have to use the 'Amplify' effect to reduce the volume during the vocal parts. (Just highlight the relevent part and give it a negative amplification value, keep testing until you get it right).

Keep at it, you are doing well and as you get more used to using Audacity the easier it will get .

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hi Stephen I did notice when you first posted but withheld any comment to let other members voice there opinions first, I agreed with both assessments but I didnt want to dampen your enthusiasm by being to critical. Recording a song and making it sound good takes a little time if your doing it without any prior know how and to your credit you have done well in getting this far along with the audacity program and in having the courage to place it for all to hear and critique on myspace and in this recording forum that takes guts,I suggested in your first post to make individual mp3's of each track so more experienced members with recording knowldege could adjust your tracks and inform you what adjustments they made so you could learn and be able to do it for yourself as this would save a lot of time in the learning curve for you, but this decision rest with you but if you decide not to opt for that by all means keep recording and experimenting over time you will aquire this knowledge and your songs will sound better and better.As to my assessment in addition to the above opinions the panning of tracks is non exsistant you have to place each track in a separate location to not only give it a distinct place but to avoid distortion and a mumbled sound,when you make these adjustments I will listen to your song again and give you my honest opinion, I can not do otherwise without compromising my judgments and I hope you understand these reasons.

06sc500 wrote:
Old Doll wrote:

Hi Stephen ,

Old Doll.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hey eveyone thanks for commenting, I know that the recording itself wasn't very good, but I more or less wanted to get opinions on the song and music in general.  Words on a page don't mean much until you hear them sung or spoken.

Switchfoot

If you wanted an opinion on the song and the music in general you might consider posting it in the songwriting forum this is the recording forum and most of the comments will be on the recording not the song smile 

06sc500 wrote:

Hey everyone thanks for commenting, I know that the recording itself wasn't very good, but I more or less wanted to get opinions on the song and music in general.  Words on a page don't mean much until you hear them sung or spoken.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I did.  Yeah, that makes sense recording forum=talking about recording.  Oh well, I'll get some better recordings up soon.

Switchfoot