Topic: RIF

PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT EXACTLY THAT IS AND THE WAY TO PLAY ON AN ACOUSTIC GUITAR.
I see the term on many of the songs in this site. I played the guitar in the church choir, the chords are not hard to learn. But picking and following tabs has been a challenge.

Re: RIF

A riff can be a series of improv notes or a arranged solo like the beginning of 'Johnny b good or any short lead. george Harrison was good at riffs,simple melodic tidbits another guitarist who played lead with Ricky Nelson and on Elvis Presleys sessions Richard Burton excelled at riffs smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Is the rif in any way related to the chord progression of the song or just made up by what sounds good?

Andy Yes it is related to a progression,or a chord and its made up by what sound good for these chords or intro,its kinda like painting a picture whatever is pleasing to your eye is all that matters the same with a riff whatever's pleasing to your ear is all that counts smile

AndysMusic wrote:

Is the rif in any way related to the chord progression of the song or just made up by what sounds good?

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hi AndysMusic. There is a music store by that name in Mobile, Alabama.
I understand a rif can be any musical phrase played filling in the "gaps"between vocals (called playing fill) or a catchy lick in the intro, solo or ending of a song.
I had a lot of fun in the 60's playing trumpet along with a good tenor sax player "blowing shots" together to tunes by James Brown, Wilson Pickett etc...

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

AndysMusic wrote:

PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT EXACTLY THAT IS AND THE WAY TO PLAY ON AN ACOUSTIC GUITAR.
I see the term on many of the songs in this site. I played the guitar in the church choir, the chords are not hard to learn. But picking and following tabs has been a challenge.

What's up AndysMusic?, Hello and welcome to Chordie.

Let me begin by stating that Chordie is not an instructional site and the best, and pretty much only sure-fire safe way to learn how to play, or expand  ones' knowledge is to sit down, face to face, human to human, and ask questions, get responses and go from there. I do not mean in any way to discredit the fine sites available here on Chordie(they're all wonderful!) that offer  guitar lessons on-line but it's my moral duty, from one musician to another, to shoot straight with you. !!!!!!!
   If you truely wish to learn, learn from a reputable, established human in the geographical arena of which you reside. (for example; a musician that plays out locally in the night clubs and gives lessons  in the local music stores, or at their personal residence, close to where you live). One can't go wrong by using this method. Although a great player isn't always a great teacher, more times than not,  there are some very valuable lessons to be learned from established musicians.     Do you get what I'm tryin' to say?     Check out what's available in your area, decide who you like best, and approach them. Ask them if they'd be intersted in giving guitar lessons.     $20 per 1/2 hour lesson is pretty much the standard rate, some charge a bit more, some may offer to teach you for free. There's no harm in asking............
  One more important item to add to my suggestions; If you are underage(less than 18 years of age), insist that your parent or legal guardian come along for the lessons. Better to be safe than sorry...........

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

and to answer your riff question;(to generalize)

In music, a riff is an ostinato figure: a repeated chord progression, pattern, refrain or melodic figure, often played by the rhythm section instruments or solo instrument, that forms the basis or accompaniment of a musical composition (though they are most often found in rock music, Latin, funk and jazz). Classical music is also sometimes based on a simple riff, such as Ravel's Boléro. Riffs can be as simple as a tenor saxophone honking a simple, catchy rhythmic figure, or as complex as the riff-based variations in the head arrangements played by the Count Basie Orchestra or Frank Zappa wailing out a mega-complex arrangement comprehendable to only a select few, such as little Stevie Vai. ( Zappa once stated that that his music was unable to be transcibed, Steve Vai presented Mr. Zappas' music to him, note for note, and after thorough examination Mr. Zappa hired little Stevie Vai as his "stunt guitarist".)

Give everything but up.

SouthPaw41L ,

Thanks for the explanation, sometimes to get the answer in simple terms, you need to ask as to have no knowledge at all. I've been learning the acoustic guitar and played in the church choir for a while. Although no where an accomplished player, I had the old experienced music leaders help with theiory and chords. My lacking is in the rif and tabs playing. The church just didn't want to venture my learnings beyond the graces of good christian music. However, my glory days stem back to the 80's where electric guitars and big hair bands rule. As they say, you can get the man out of the 80's,  the 80's music rules and can never get the 80's out of the man. I plan on getting a practice electric guitar and want to learn tabs and rifs. I found a fender stater at target with an amp.what do you think?

Thanks for the info. very helpful

AndysMusic wrote:

SouthPaw41L ,

The church just didn't want to venture my learnings beyond the graces of good christian music. However, my glory days stem back to the 80's where electric guitars and big hair bands rule. As they say, you can get the man out of the 80's,  the 80's music rules and can never get the 80's out of the man. I plan on getting a practice electric guitar and want to learn tabs and rifs. I found a fender stater at target with an amp.what do you think?

Thanks for the info. very helpful

Thanks for asking Andy.(!!!)

First of all I guess if you truely value the opinion of your church and let it/them decide which music is acceptable for you to/or not to play, have the church provide you with an extensive list of 'appropriate music' for you to play(?!????) and start learning from said list.
             Or not.
I'd go with the latter, but that's just me.

And as far as the fender starter from target, this will be fine to get you started. As you progress you may want to upgrade but for now the package you're looking into should be more than adequate.

Give everything but up.

THANKS FOR THE HELP!

When checking in the pawn shops, what brands of electric guitars should I be eyeing for and what should I check for to insur it works?