1 (edited by fireflyverdigris 2008-10-27 01:41:53)

Topic: How do I play F and other notes?

Hi everyone, 
i'm a total beginner as you will see...
on the "F" cord, i see 6 dots....where am I suppose to put my fingers?  this goes the same for all the other cords with more than 4 dots. 
i also seem to have difficulty with my entire hand (all twisted) when there are 4 dots on the cord. (ie: when i have to use all 4 fingers)
thanks from sunny Singapore.

2 (edited by leodragon 2008-10-27 02:49:34)

Re: How do I play F and other notes?

An 'F' chord is played with the index finger all the way across the neck of the first fret. Then use the other 3 fingers to hold the other strings.  F, Bm, and other similar chords are rather tuff and require lots of practice.  I usually do short cut versions of these chords when I dont have the time to complete the full chord between changes.  Practice, practice, practice.  I usually omit the low strings during my short cut version chords.

Picking away at life, one tune at a time.

3 (edited by fireflyverdigris 2008-10-27 13:52:47)

oh i see....thanks for your tips.
so how does one know when one has to hold it down all the way across as there is no indication on the cord diagram itself?  (for other notes for example.) 
i tried playing the f cord but i think my fingers are too short / hand is too small becos i cant reach the last 2 notes v well and end up pressing down on the other strings too - so that note sounds muted  :-)  maybe i will try and omit the last 2 that u mentioned.  hope that will sound in tune.

i also noticed that when i look for alternatives for the f cord, they dont sound the same or is that becos i'm not pressing them properly?

Just cover the first two notes and leave the others for the time being , you can use that shape right up the fret board ,easy. once you master that you,ll wonder what all the fuss was about  ...

Firefly theres a free program that you may find handy its called "Guitar Alchemist" it lists all the chords, diagrams,scales and it even plays sound for each chord and you can choose the sound from a menu, keys,guitar ect..just google it up and download, its totally free and fun plus very instructive smile

fireflyverdigris wrote:

Hi everyone, 
i'm a total beginner as you will see...
on the "F" cord, i see 6 dots....where am I suppose to put my fingers?  this goes the same for all the other cords with more than 4 dots. 
i also seem to have difficulty with my entire hand (all twisted) when there are 4 dots on the cord. (ie: when i have to use all 4 fingers)
thanks from sunny Singapore.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Firefly heres the link choose the free version smile
http://www.guitaralchemist.com/index-1.html

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I just hold the bottom two strings down with my index finger and the other three notes are held down with the other fingers.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Other two notes, sorry.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

thanks all for your recommendations!

10 (edited by alvee33 2008-10-30 09:21:07)

As said above F is a barre chord. Here is a lesson on barre chords with a couple of videos showing what they're all about. The F chord in particular.

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/CH-006-BasicBarres.php

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

That is an amazingly helpful site.

I've been working on bar chords for about three or four weeks now, and I've got the strength and finger positions down, its just the speed now to change between them.... There is a lot of hatred towards them, but in reality they are not that bad, just practice! Though I still find the A shaped ones particularly fearsome, I want to barre with the third, but I kind of like just sliding my A chord down as I use 2 3 4 for A's.

There is another very helpful site called  Chordbook that is very handy.

http://www.chordbook.com/

●████▅▅▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄....▄▄▄
▄▄▅██████▅▄▃▂
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █►
◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲☼◤ -Mr T says: Quit yo jibba Jabba! You Ain't hurt!

the "A" bar shape is used for "F" also ..it is fundemental as it starts at F on the 1 fret and works up to A at 5th fret b at seventh c at eigth ect . also if you lift your new jersey finger the major becomes a minor chord.  there is in my experience nothing but continued practice that will make you good at this.

13 (edited by ApeDoctor 2008-10-30 15:07:29)

I mean the A barre Chord shape, commonly used for B etc, rather than the "E shaped Barre" which is F and so forth.

1 (or X)
X

●████▅▅▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄....▄▄▄
▄▄▅██████▅▄▃▂
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █►
◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲☼◤ -Mr T says: Quit yo jibba Jabba! You Ain't hurt!

Hi Alvee33 and Apedoctor,
thanks!!!!  very VERY useful sites! 
i'm grateful.